vladtepes

Treating Range Accident?

I was gonna be a good guy and upload some PDF's on First Aid. But this 500K limit is punching me in the nuts sooo hard right now. So heres a list of what I have. If anyone wants a PDF, PM me your email address and I'll send it your way ASAP.

Department of the Army - First Aid for Soldiers

Aidmans Medical Guide - FM 8-36

First Aid for Soldiers - FM 21-11

US Army Special Forces Medical Handbook - ST 31-91B

CPR

These are all the pertinent texts I have on the subject at hand. Some may be to large to send via email, but we'll see.

I let my EMT-B expire when I stopped working in the emergency services, however I do recall being taught that legally in NJ you can't be sued for trying to help prior to EMS arrival. You can be sued if your an EMT and don't step up to help. Unless the laws have changed in the past 4 years, good Samaritans are protected in NJ.

My fiancée is an active EMT and a 911 dispatcher. In true nanny state fashion, NJ only gives limited power to EMT-B's. Just about anything more advanced than oxygen needs to be done by a paramedic. That being said, be sure to tell 911 that it's a GSW so the necessary help gets dispatched. If your in south jersey (like me) you can pretty much expect a helicopter ride to either Cooper or ACMC with Cooper being preferred since they are a level III trauma center.

Lots of good info here but there are a few things to add. I have a little experience from the military and as a civilian dealing with GSWs. I was trained as a EMT some time ago and a little training past that. Some of the things I've learned by experience or been told by people much more qualified than any of us are:

1. Always best to use sterile material on the wound but don't waste time looking for some, moreso with arterial bleeding. If all you have readily available is a dirty tshirt or Wawa napkins (like PK90) use them. Better to treat a GSW victim with an infection that developes than have a DOA.

2, I've never seen arterial bleeding in an extremity controlled well by only pressure and elevation. If this is the situation you find yourself in start getting stuff together for a tourniquet.

3. Gloves are nice but in dealing with severe arterial bleeding you're going to get blood pretty much all over you.