Kaiser7

Ordering guns online

I've been hesitant to do it, despite seeing some nice deals on places like gunbroker, I was wondering, how do you do it? Supposing I win an auction, how do I get it shipped to an FFL? (Most likely I'd see if PK90 at Arms-N-Ammo would accept it) Do I have to have the FFL buy it for me?

Specifically I'm looking for guns that are pretty much always NJ-friendly, a shotgun (primarily a Remington 870, or Mossberg 500 preferabally) Or a K98k (prefereabally of 1941 vintage, non sporterized, though i'll but a traditional stock if i get a good enough deal).

I'm trying to save extra cash if i can, and I don't see these guns coming up often for sale used.

You pay the seller the fees for the rifle and shipping to FFL, then depending on the seller's preference you either send them your FFL's info and they will verify that info. Or your FFL will send their info to the seller. And ship it out.

I've only ever ordered from Bud's Gun Shop and Palmetto State Armory... Buds had the FFL info, PSA did not. It just took a quick fax from Tony and I was good to go.

I'm pretty private sellers on gunbroker will want to see the FFL info. I'm not too sure how that works, as I've never bought an item on GB that needed an FFL.

I have bought numerous guns online, both from dealers and from private sellers. I have my local FFL fax a copy of their license to the seller, I mail payment to the seller, the seller ships to the FFL. I then get to pay for NICS and the transfer charge at the local dealer. It sounds far more complicated than it really is!

The reasons I use Gun Broker or Out of State FFLs would be to get a firearm that is either not available locally, or rare in the marketplace (new or used). Common firearms are better puchased locally for the best deals. Look for sales at the big box stores( Dick's, Walmart [PA], etc.). Keep an ear open for local private sales. Most times, the auction price, plus the shipping fess, and the FFL transfer fees, will exceed your local gun shop on new items. If you do win an auction, or purchase thru a private sale out of state, the firearm will need to be transferred to a NJ FFL dealer. All fees associated with the transaction (purchase price and shipping) are paid directly by you. You instruct the seller to send it to the NJ FFL dealer you choose by sending the seller a copy of the FFL to them. Some FFL dealers will do this themselves, some will give a copy to you. In either case it is common courtesy to let the NJ dealer know it is on the way and from where. Check with your FFL dealer to see if he will accept a transfer from a private sale. Those that do, may require a copy of some sort of Government ID (driver's license) be sent with the firearm so he can enter it into his FFL log on how he got it. If the NJ FFL dealer will only accept a transfer from another FFL dealer, then the seller must go to a local FFL dealer willing to ship to your NJ FFL dealer. That transfer wil have an expense that you and the seller must agree on who is going to pay (usually you). Then its a NJ NICS check fee and the local dealer's transfer fee, some PRNJ paperwork and its yours. Good Luck.

Crap, didn't think it would be all that complicated, as it stands, I'll get an 870 express mag for just over $200 if I win this bid (that's my maximum, and including shipping/ffl fees)

But I don't feel like dealing with all that. I should have waited to bid maybe.

It sounds worse than it is. Process goes fairly smooth. You pay seller per terms of sale. If you use PK90 for the transfer, a copy of his FFL is available on his website. Send to seller. Give Paul a quick call. Seller sends goods to Paul. You see Paul, pay his fees, do the paperwork, and your done. Again, good luck.

It sounds worse than it is. Process goes fairly smooth. You pay seller per terms of sale. If you use PK90 for the transfer, a copy of his FFL is available on his website. Send to seller. Give Paul a quick call. Seller sends goods to Paul. You see Paul, pay his fees, do the paperwork, and your done. Again, good luck.

+1

It's a piece of cake. Also, on an expensive gun, you can save quite a bit by avoiding the tax.

Crap, didn't think it would be all that complicated, as it stands, I'll get an 870 express mag for just over $200 if I win this bid (that's my maximum, and including shipping/ffl fees)

But I don't feel like dealing with all that. I should have waited to bid maybe.

There is nothing complicated about it. Have the FFL email or fax there license info to the seller. Pay for merchandise. DONE.