Jamie6607

Another new member from Jersey City

Hello everyone. I'm completely new to handguns and I am interested in getting my permit. Am I correct that I need a gun owners permit AND I need to apply for a buyers permit each time I want to buy a gun? Do I go to my local police station to apply for these permits? How long do they last?

I am interested in taking a beginners course where I can learn safety skills and NJ gun laws as well as familiarize myself with different types of guns before I decide to buy one. Do I need a permit to take a beginners course? Any recommendations for ranges/courses in my area? Can I go to a range and rent a firearm without having a permit? If I did so, are instructors present to help with safety and handling of the weapon?

I apologize in advance for all the questions. I'm a total beginner at the age of 33 and I would like to learn how to safely and properly handle and use a handgun. Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated.

Jamie

Welcome!

A Firearms ID card (FID) allows you to purchase long guns (Rifles/Shotguns/etc.) and ammunition. You will need an additional Pistol purchase Permit (PP) to buy a handgun. The FID is good for life, as long as you live at the same address. However, if you move, you must get your FID changed. Pistol Permits are valid for 90 days from the date of issuance, and the PD MAY allow you to renew them if they are expiring - it is up to the PD's discretion. Please note - because of the One Gun a Month (OGAM) law that was recently passed at the end of Corzine's term, you are limited to buying 1 handgun every 30 days (time period starts the day after you purchase the handgun). If you are applying for PPs, I would recommend that you apply for at least 3.

Welcome, I believe you can get 5 pistol permits at a time or maybe more. But first you need to apply for an FID firearms purchaser ID which you can also apply for a pistol permit on the same application. You can only buy 1 pistol per 30 days and the permit only last 90 days, but can be extended at your PD.

Just search on this forum for more info and specifics about this. This has been discussed hundreds of times already. Good luck and welcome to the addicting world or firearms. This world is where ONE isn't enough.

Thanks for all the replies and info, the guidance is much appreciated. I think, after some research, I might sign up for the First Steps Handgun course given by Gunsforhire. They have a pretty great website and I found a ton of info. My plan is to apply for my permits, then take the course during the wait so I would be ready to purchase once I'm given my purchase permit. Make sense?

Also, if I go to a range that rents handguns, do I need a permit to shoot? I'd like to rent and try out a few types before I buy. For a newb such as myself, I was recommended a revolver, glock, and sig 250 for my first buy. I'm unsure which Is the best gun for a beginner with reference to skill, maintenance and ammo prices. Any recommendations on what direction I should take? Again, thanks in advance for the help!

Jamie

No, you do not need a FID to rent.

That is good news...I really wanted to put my application in for the permits and then during the wait, hit the beginner classes and rent a few different guns to see what I like. I'm glad I don't need the FID to rent. Any suggestions for a good, helpful place to rent from in my area?

Welcome! I'm in Hoboken myself. Bullet Hole is closest. Some say it is decent, but I personally was not a fan. I found it small, crowded, and dark, your GFH First Steps class will end there so you'll see it. Most people have positive experiences with RTSP in Randolph that's a little further, but I didn't think their selection was as extensive as some. My personal favorite range/shop is Heritage Guild in Easton, if you buy there they can arrange pickup at one of their NJ locations. You also do not need your FID to handle the merchandise as most or all NJ shops require.

A nice shop (no range although they may be affiliated with a Bayonne BYOG range) in JC is Caso's. The sisters that run the shop are really friendly and seem knowledgable.

Anyone have an idea of how long the permit process takes in Jersey City? I am presently a federal government employee that works in the city so I've already done and been through a background check. It should go smooth, just wondering if there's an extensive wait time.

That's what I like to hear. Hopefully mine goes quick as well.

Ok, not sure if I should post this here or not but I'm gonna anyway. I'm a southpaw...what should I be considering as far as purchasing a handgun? Does that effect mechanics, safety, etc?