Zell959

Rebarreling an S&W 686?

I've got a S&W 686 with a 2.5" barrel and, while I like it, the one thing ive never been wild about is the short barrel and the short ejector rod. I bought it used over a new one with a longer barrel because it was a pre-lock model, but Im more and more realizing that it's short barrel designs really offers no advantages to me, while still carrying multiple downsides.

A quick google search turned up some threads on a different forum that indicate it is possible to send a 686 to s&w and pay to have it rebarreled in a different length(including new ejector rod). Haven't confirmed this yet, but indicated cost seemed to be in the $225 range. Anyone ever done this or know someone who has? Any thoughts on potential downsides or things I might be failing to consider?

Thanks all

I've got a S&W 686 with a 2.5" barrel and, while I like it, the one thing ive never been wild about is the short barrel and the short ejector rod. I bought it used over a new one with a longer barrel because it was a pre-lock model, but Im more and more realizing that it's short barrel designs really offers no advantages to me, while still carrying multiple downsides.

A quick google search turned up some threads on a different forum that indicate it is possible to send a 686 to s&w and pay to have it rebarreled in a different length(including new ejector rod). Haven't confirmed this yet, but indicated cost seemed to be in the $225 range. Anyone ever done this or know someone who has? Any thoughts on potential downsides or things I might be failing to consider?

Thanks all

I would be interested also since I'll be in the market for a 686 with my next round of permits but I want a 3 inch barrel while 4 inch versions predominate. On purely a cost factor basis would it not be feasible just to sell or trade your 21/2 inch version and source the length you're interested in?I am aware the lock is sometimes a make or break factor in such a decision but is that the case here?

I would be interested also since I'll be in the market for a 686 with my next round of permits but I want a 3 inch barrel while 4 inch versions predominate. On purely a cost factor basis would it not be feasible just to sell or trade your 21/2 inch version and source the length you're interested in?I am aware the lock is sometimes a make or break factor in such a decision but is that the case here?

I considered that as well, but have decided against that route because it requires:

1. Selling the revolver and getting pretty close to its value. My past experience with selling a handgun were that it's kind of a pain. Even at what I truly believed to be a very good price, I went months without any progress, because I needed a buyer that wanted to buy it AND just so happened to have obtained a permit within the past 180 days.
  2. I would have to put in for another permit myself in order to be in a position to pick up a new revolver. In my town, the hours of the clerks office basically require that I take a day off of work to put in the paperwork, as well as a day off work to pick up the permits....4-5 months later when they finally get around to issuing them.
  3. Would have to track down the barrel size I'm looking for in a pre-lock model [sticking point for me] and be able to get it at a price that's close to or only slightly above what I was able to sell my current revolver at. LIkely would have to be from an out of state source, so looking at shipping &, obviously, nics charges when I pick it up from a local FFL.

The above certainly isn't insurmountable, but I'd definetly categorize it as a pain in the a$$ that could take 6months+ beginning to end, and I can easily see it ending up costing a bit more than the $225 with just a little bad luck. If the barrel swap is a viable option, it's a downright bargain compaired to the above process.

I considered that as well, but have decided against that route because it requires:

1. Selling the revolver and getting pretty close to its value. My past experience with selling a handgun were that it's kind of a pain. Even at what I truly believed to be a very good price, I went months without any progress, because I needed a buyer that wanted to buy it AND just so happened to have obtained a permit within the past 180 days.
  2. I would have to put in for another permit myself in order to be in a position to pick up a new revolver. In my town, the hours of the clerks office basically require that I take a day off of work to put in the paperwork, as well as a day off work to pick up the permits....4-5 months later when they finally get around to issuing them.
  3. Would have to track down the barrel size I'm looking for in a pre-lock model [sticking point for me] and be able to get it at a price that's close to or only slightly above what I was able to sell my current revolver at. LIkely would have to be from an out of state source, so looking at shipping &, obviously, nics charges when I pick it up from a local FFL.

The above certainly isn't insurmountable, but I'd definetly categorize it as a pain in the a$$ that could take 6months+ beginning to end, and I can easily see it ending up costing a bit more than the $225 with just a little bad luck. If the barrel swap is a viable option, it's a downright bargain compaired to the above process.

I see, I searched online also as to what it entails to re-barrel a S&W but was unclear if your $225.00 included the replacement barrel or just the labor with/without shipping.

I really would like a 3 inch barrel but depending on the time available on my permits,availability and finances, I may just settle on a gently used 4 inch and have it converted later or bite the bullet and pay the premium price asked for the 3 inch barrels.

If $225 includes the barrel that's a screaming deal.

I just scanned the posts and don't know if anybody had these intensions but I don't believe Smith barrels on later models can be reused after removal because they are no longer pinned but crush fit.

Pizza Bob . Where are you?

I believe I read that barrels can be refitted if removed carefully but all barrels must be re-lathed to insure it lines up properly.There were also some question about a ongoing issue with new S&W revolvers being delivered with ill fitted barrels and if refitting by the factory was a viable alternative over a authorized smith.

If $225 includes the barrel that's a screaming deal.

I just scanned the posts and don't know if anybody had these intensions but I don't believe Smith barrels on later models can be reused after removal because they are no longer pinned but crush fit.

Pizza Bob . Where are you?

Frank,

I think Duppie's got it right. They aren't truly crush fit, they are just no longer pinned. If they are to be reused, it will require setting the shoulder back so they can be properly indexed.

Frank,

I think Duppie's got it right. They aren't truly crush fit, they are just no longer pinned. If they are to be reused, it will require setting the shoulder back so they can be properly indexed.

IC Bob, locking on the shoulder instead of streaching the threads. Makes sense. Then trim the cylinder gap...

Sounds like fun,,,

After reviewing the parts list on the website and seeing the listed prices of 686 barrels, it seems exceedingly unlikely that the $225 could include the barrel. The $225 figure may also have just been internet fiction in the first place.

May still be an option. Just gonna have to give them a call and get the full story when I get home from work.