Old School

Range Etiquette, a Newbie Requested Thread

If any of the other "Elder Statesmen" want to comment or add to what I written, have at it!

If someone wants to step-up and do Informal Shotgun, Trap or Skeet, nows the time.......

Dave

Just list etiquette items as you think of them: Don't muzzle sweep anyone. Don't touch firearms when anyone is down range. Don't talk to anyone during their string of fire. Do police your brass. Do accomplish target changes in a speedy fashion. Do clean up after yourself(targets) when finished shooting.

Don't crouch and walk in front of my bench while I am shooting to steal my brass (for real).

Don't stick your mitts inside my open range bag or start moving and touching my shit looking for brass.

We call them "Brass Buzzards."

Don't crouch and walk in front of my bench while I am shooting to steal my brass (for real).

Don't stick your mitts inside my open range bag or start moving and touching my shit looking for brass.

We call them "Brass Buzzards."

Wait, people actually DO THAT? That's a one way trip to an ass beating. :mad:

You bet your ass they did and you bet your ass I went nuts. This kind of thing happens all the time, all over the country at public or otherwise unregulated ranges. That's why we call them Brass Buzzards or Brass Whores or whatever your local colloquialism might be. There are people that are infamous at certain ranges and spend all week onsite. I remember the first time I remember somebody picked up my buddy's jacket to get brass and I flipped the F out on him.

No ass beatings. Too many armed groups of people with too many varying loyalties keeps anger to words and justified warnings heeded just fine.

When you see these buzzards you just tell them up front that your brass is yours and stay the F away or they'll pay for it. If you want to let the regular shooters have it then tell them when you are done shooting.

O-K then, now that we've had our fun, and posted some gratuitus BODACIOUS Ta-Ta's, how about we get back on track with the original intent of this thread??????

So who else wants to add or comment on what SOME of us have tried to list?

And who wants to pick up the ball and run with it: We still need someone to start/write the shotgun portion.

Dave

If any of the other "Elder Statesmen" want to comment or add to what I written, have at it!

If someone wants to step-up and do Informal Shotgun, Trap or Skeet, nows the time.......

Dave

BUMP!

Who wants to take a turn?

Dave

Ok... came across these a while back. They seem to work well. :hunter:

TRAP/SKEET/SHOTGUN SHOOTING ETIQUETTE

1. Submit your entry far enough in advance so that the office can properly process it. Clubs want trap shoots to start on time, but they can't if shooters don't sign up enough in advance so that squadding and record keeping can be done.

2. Be ready when your squad is called and also when it is your turn to shoot in the squad.

3. Do not lean over each time to pick a shell out of a box on the ground or to pick up empties. Have your shells where you don't have to stoop to get them.

4. Do not raise your gun until the shooter ahead of you fires.

5. Remain at your post until the fifth man has fired, then move to the next position as a group. At the end of the round, stand facing the traps until the last man has fired the last shot. If you are leadoff, do not fire until all squad members are in position after each change.

6. Never load your gun before changing positions. When going from position five to position one, turn to the right to avoid bumping guns with the man coming from post four.

7. Load only one shell at a time, except in doubles. Close the gun only when it is your turn to shoot. If a delay occurs, remove the shell.

8. Do not allow ejected shells from your gun to hit or annoy other shooters.

9. Trap and Skeet are extremely social sports, so it’s not unusual to hear a lot of talking and joking going on between shooters. However, when any shooter steps on the shooting pad, be respectful by remaining quiet until he’s finished on the station. Do no unnecessary talking when you are on the firing line. When you are not on the firing line, keep your voice down when you are around other squads which are shooting.

10. Time your shooting to establish rhythm in the squad. Call in a loud clear voice so that there is no confusion about when the puller should respond.

11. Be a sportsman at all times. Be sure your competitors get what is due them, but do not be a target claimer.

12. Observe safety rules. Do not point your gun at another, even if it is unloaded. On the firing line, always keep your gun pointed toward the ground or the traphouse.

13. Shooters are always willing to have you look at their guns, if you ask permission first. Do not pick up another's gun from the gun rack and handle it without asking.

http://www.nssa-nsca.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/2012-NSSA-Rule-Book.pdf

Ok... came across these a while back. They seem to work well. :hunter:

TRAP/SKEET/SHOTGUN SHOOTING ETIQUETTE

1. Submit your entry far enough in advance so that the office can properly process it. Clubs want trap shoots to start on time, but they can't if shooters don't sign up enough in advance so that squadding and record keeping can be done.

2. Be ready when your squad is called and also when it is your turn to shoot in the squad.

3. Do not lean over each time to pick a shell out of a box on the ground or to pick up empties. Have your shells where you don't have to stoop to get them.

4. Do not raise your gun until the shooter ahead of you fires.

5. Remain at your post until the fifth man has fired, then move to the next position as a group. At the end of the round, stand facing the traps until the last man has fired the last shot. If you are leadoff, do not fire until all squad members are in position after each change.

6. Never load your gun before changing positions. When going from position five to position one, turn to the right to avoid bumping guns with the man coming from post four.

7. Load only one shell at a time, except in doubles. Close the gun only when it is your turn to shoot. If a delay occurs, remove the shell.

8. Do not allow ejected shells from your gun to hit or annoy other shooters.

9. Trap and Skeet are extremely social sports, so it’s not unusual to hear a lot of talking and joking going on between shooters. However, when any shooter steps on the shooting pad, be respectful by remaining quiet until he’s finished on the station. Do no unnecessary talking when you are on the firing line. When you are not on the firing line, keep your voice down when you are around other squads which are shooting.

10. Time your shooting to establish rhythm in the squad. Call in a loud clear voice so that there is no confusion about when the puller should respond.

11. Be a sportsman at all times. Be sure your competitors get what is due them, but do not be a target claimer.

12. Observe safety rules. Do not point your gun at another, even if it is unloaded. On the firing line, always keep your gun pointed toward the ground or the traphouse.

13. Shooters are always willing to have you look at their guns, if you ask permission first. Do not pick up another's gun from the gun rack and handle it without asking.

http://www.nssa-nsca...A-Rule-Book.pdf

I think the rules you posted are good. One thing though, the shells annoying people is kinda hard for some. If you are using a semi auto, it's hard to have the shell eject in a certain spot. When I am on the line, I am kinda focused and don't pay attention to anything anybody else is doing. It's a competition with yourself. I pay attention to the call's and that is it.

I have extractors on my o/u and I generally break the action slow enough to catch my shell because I wanna save the hull.

Rifleman1,

Good Post!

And as far as the issue of ejected shells goes: police your hulls when you're done with the Round of 25 so no one has to trip or slip on them. Asking if anybody on your squad wants the ejected hulls is also a good idea! Also, Remington 1100 and 1187 users have the option of buying and using a small piece of metal that clamps into the port to stop the ejected shell from popping out....

Dave

I went shooting on Thursday and a guy that I am friends with brought out a NFA M16, an M60 and a old Thompson SMG. He let me play all I wanted and afterwards I offered to replace the ammo that I shot or give him money for ammo. He said out of all the people I let play you are the first to offer for ammo. I ended up giving him some cash to add to the ammo fund.

It is one thing to try someones gun out if you are only shooting a little, but if you use a bunch of ammo offer to pay for it or replace it. I know from experience when I bring out my MG42 only let people shoot about 15rds. If you give them a big boy belt they keep pulling the trigger until the belt is empty.

Rifleman1,

Good Post!

And as far as the issue of ejected shells goes: police your hulls when you're done with the Round of 25 so no one has to trip or slip on them. Asking if anybody on your squad wants the ejected hulls is also a good idea! Also, Remington 1100 and 1187 users have the option of buying and using a small piece of metal that clamps into the port to stop the ejected shell from popping out....

Dave

I had no idea of this. I did see some guy using some semi's were able to get their shell but I didn't see what type of gun it was. What is it that they use?

I had no idea of this. I did see some guy using some semi's were able to get their shell but I didn't see what type of gun it was. What is it that they use?

Remmys load from the bottom, except for the first round. Careful placement of a small, purpose-built and designed piece of metal that's clamped into the ejection port will prevent ejection of said hull and HOLD it INSIDE the port, so as to enable the Shooter to grasp the hull by hand and then drop it into a shell bag that's worn on the person (just like break-action Shooters). In this manner, a Shooter using the 1100 and 1187 models can have the best of both worlds: gas operation for reduced recoil AND not having to bend over to pick up hulls off of the ground and pads at a Trap Range. Range rules usually dictate that ONLY one shell be put into the gun at a time, so there isn't really a true NEED for side ejection, since there aren't that many Shooters (or Trap Houses) doing Trap Doubles.

I hope that I've explained this so you can understand it. The esiest way is just to go to a Trap Range and ask to see one from someone that's shooting Trap there.

Dave

Not sure if this has been covered, but make sure you are shooting at your target - don't shoot at someone else's. Sounds obvious, but it happens.

Also, don't shoot fast unless you can control your weapon. I've heard people rip off a string of fire at an indoor range and hit the ceiling and metal target brackets. It's unnerving.

Smokin .50 gave a good definition, but I don't see a name in there. It's called a "shell catcher". I don't use an auto, so can't recommend one, but a quick google gave me http://www.brownells...t/SHELL-CATCHER

Smokin .50 gave a good definition, but I don't see a name in there. It's called a "shell catcher". I don't use an auto, so can't recommend one, but a quick google gave me http://www.brownells...t/SHELL-CATCHER

+1

Thanks Ian! I couldn't remember exactly what's it called as I don't use an auto at Trap either! And when you stop and think about it, $11.95 isn't a bad price to pay to save your back muscles (when you're as creaky and squeeky as I am, lol).

Dave