Teky0101

Hunters Ed - Rifle

Hello Everyone,

Last year I look the Hunters Education rifle course at the Quinton Sportsmens Club and this year they are offering the rifle portion. I was wondering does anyone know what is required to qualify for the rifle portion of the class? Do you shoot black powder and/or .22 rifles? I know there is a written portion as well. Any help would be appreciated!

Hello Everyone,

Last year I look the Hunters Education rifle course at the Quinton Sportsmens Club and this year they are offering the rifle portion. I was wondering does anyone know what is required to qualify for the rifle portion of the class? Do you shoot black powder and/or .22 rifles? I know there is a written portion as well. Any help would be appreciated!

See you at the club 8th sept

Urban Grunt,

Are you taking the course this upcoming weekend? Do you know if they will show you how to load the firearms?

It's up to you to demonstrate safe gun handling at all times, and that INCLUDES knowing how to load your own gun. So you should arrive there already knowing how to do so.

"Modern muzzloaders" are capable of incredible distance IF you use the right combination of materials and have expert experience. I routinely shoot real percussion patched round ball and conicals out to 100 yards and beyond, so 50 yards/meters isn't so terrible--it's where the majority of shots on deer are taken from, OR LESS.......

Good luck with your test!

If you bring your own muzzle loader then you are responsible for knowing how to and demonstrating how to load it properly. If you use their supplied guns, highly recommended, they will show you the proper way to load it.

Even if you don't bring your own gun to the test, it is a wise idea to learn the proper way of loading/unloading it yourself.

Better off using the supplied rifles. You will be shown how to do it by an instructor and then you will have to do it. The instructor will be there to help. You will have a choice between cap and ball and inline. Then a .22. Make sure you bring your book already filled out. I also hope everyone is preregistered. If your not preregistered there is a good chance the class will be full. If its been a while since you took any of the hunter Ed courses you will have to redo the basic part of the course.

So in order to hunt with centerfire rifles in NJ, I have to know how to operate a muzzleloader? I've never seen a muzzleloader much less know how to load/shoot one. I'm working though the video and workbook on my own.

You can't hunt with centerfire rifles in NJ period. Only black powder and .22lr for dispatching trapped animals or hunting racoons.

Woodchuck March1st - Sept 26th 2012(private prop)

center fire rifle. 25 cal or less hollow point,soft point or expanding lead core bullets of any weight.

Larger than .25 cal, must not exceed 100 grains in weight

I stand corrected. I forgot about the groundhog stipulation for private property.

Hello Everyone,

It was a great class today! How many of you made it out and what type of hunting did you go for? I am looking for a good place in Hunt in South Jersey with a muzzleloader does anyone know of any good places?

Yeah, good luck with that. You'd have an easier time getting some hunter to share his wife with you than to give you a spot to hunt (in my limited experience).