mipafox

Heritage Guild Today

I have really neglected buying stuff I need because I have been trying to save money. But it is getting ridiculous and I need to buy some holsters and handguns. I'm hitting all the shops in the area this morning. If I meet anybody at Heritage Guild I'd love to get a lane and do some shooting. Then you can use your NJ DL to buy me fireworks at Phantom or TNT around the corner ;) (just kidding)

I went with a friend that was unable to buy me fireworks :(

It was my second visit and it is certainly a nice place, although the range is a little lacking and the fees are outrageous. I talked to somebody there that told me they have plans to expand. They want to put in another set of bays for people more like us. In particular, more like me and my friends. Keep the core business of [ripping off] new shooters [from Jersey] in a nice and low-key, heavily structured environment and keeping us animals in the third bay. Which I think sounds good, although I don't pay for ranges much anymore.

Also stopped by Sarco and saw some poor guy from Jersey walking out with a BB gun and putting it in his trunk :(

[edits by me in brackets]

I said it was "certainly a nice place."

I also said I don't pay for places to shoot much anymore, so what do I know, either? :)

I pointed out that, besides having a very nice store and attentive employees, their range is minimalistic and extremely expensive. Are they forcing people to pay them? No. Is it bad that they are teaching n00bs from Jersey to shoot? No. So what is the problem? Nothing. I also understand that they want to open a new bay to keep people away from the n00bs. Again, makes perfect sense under their business model.

What do you want me to say? You want me to say I will shoot there every weekend? Or you want me to say I want them shut down because they are too expensive and they are introducing n00bs to the shooting sports? Unfortunately, I can't tell you either.

I was talking more along the lines of us "poor guys" from NJ being "n00bs". Could be me, but it sounded like a whole lot of condescension towards us NJ shooters, and on a NJ forum.

You talked about the poor guy from NJ buying a BB gun. I don't see the problem with that considering how scarce a BB gun is in NJ. Maybe he was buying it for his kid?

You also spoke of "ripping off" "new shooters from NJ" by Heritage. If that isn't bashing, I don't know what is. Additionally, to insist that NJ shooters are gullible for paying their price to shoot indoors is also insulting. Outside of the Phillipsburg pistol club, there aren't any other places around that area to shoot indoors. Shooting at NJ indoor ranges isnt cheap either.

What I was saying, is that your post had an overall sound of you "looking down your nose" at us NJ shooters. If I'm wrong, then I apologize. It's just how you came off.

I was talking more along the lines of us "poor guys" from NJ being "n00bs". Could be me, but it sounded like a whole lot of condescension towards us NJ shooters, and on a NJ forum.

Are you one of the investors at Heritage?

No, I did not call them "poor guys." I said they were ripping off n00bs and they were from Jersey. I think that is notable, since there are likely more shooting n00bs in Jersey than PA and that's probably why they setup in Easton. Ever heard of Sunset Hill? It's a tourist trap in the Pocono's who's business model is to rip off people from New York since most people there don't want to bother in NY and the culture is different. It is the same kind of business. Except, they say the plan to start accommodating people like us separately.

You talked about the poor guy from NJ buying a BB gun. I don't see the problem with that considering how scarce a BB gun is in NJ. Maybe he was buying it for his kid?

I didn't say that was a problem. I called THAT guy a "poor guy." A guy who gets dumped by his wife and chases after her down the street on foot, only to fall to his knees on the corner and ball his eyes out, is a "poor guy." I think it's friggin sad that this guy had to come to PA to buy a BB gun. I lived in NJ for decades, this is not the first time this came up. If you think I was mocking him, send me your phone number, and I will have the guy that was with me at the time call you and you can ask him about it. There was no mocking. There was sympathy and frustration with NJ gun laws.

You also spoke of "ripping off" "new shooters from NJ" by Heritage. If that isn't bashing, I don't know what is.

You didn't say bashing. You said condescension.

You want bashing? Dunks is a POS and should be run out of business. Bashing.

By contrast, Sarco is selling Stags for $1150 and Suomi mags for (LOL) $145. ALL of Cabellas guns are overpriced. Not bashing. See the difference? Much closer to what I said about Heritage.

Additionally, to insist that NJ shooters are gullible for paying their price to shoot indoors is also insulting.

I didn't say NJ shooters are gullible. If anything, you could infer that I suggested that n00b shooters at Heritage are gullible, and nearly all of them are from NJ. Very big difference. I doubt the majority of Jersey shooters in Jersey shoot at Heritage.

I also said Heritage has no blame and is not forcing anybody to pay them. AND, I said it is not a bad thing that Heritage is introducing new people to the shooting sports. I just won't pay that money.

What I was saying, is that your post had an overall sound of you "looking down your nose" at us NJ shooters. If I'm wrong, then I apologize. It's just how you came off.

Sometimes I have to look down on most people in Jersey in aggregate, unfortunately. Not at all in this case. And certainly no reason to single out Jersey shooters to look down on, what sense would that make?

All of this notwothstanding, I had a good experience at heritage in Easton. After buying two Handguns in Rahway, I had two range passes to burn so I took a trip out with a friend. The range is short and allows all powers so the atmospheric pressure around the guy next to me shooting a 308 was palpable. That said, the range is immaculate and they have a WIDE array of firearms for rent. The shop has a huge inventory, a decent sized selection of used guns and a sales force who are attentive/knowledgeable/courteous. Personally, it is worth spending some money there just for those reasons. I would not choose to shoot there without free passes because standing next to a guy shooting high powered guns indoors blows donkey cock. But, as far as business models go I think they have a winner. Acknowledge your customers quickly. Smile. Offer a wide selection and do it courteously. Win. Win.

I don't want to have a pissing contest. My apologies for suggesting you were condescending or bashing.

I accept but I don't think you have to apologize. You like the range, NJ sucks, and I have a reputation as a bit of a dick on here. In consideration of those three things, I think a little defensiveness on your end and suspicion about me is reasonable.

It is funny, though. If anybody from NJ made the same exact observations, but added an ending of, "I hate this friggen piece of crap state! Jersey sucks!" nobody would bat an eyelash. I know that because I see it everyday. But I don't say anything bad about NJ and this is the way I am received. Oh well, like I said, I think I earned it in part.

BTW, sorry we missed you. It looked kind of strange the way they ran the range (it was packed with n00bs), and the guy told me how they ran things, but at least we would have had some neat stuff to shoot and get some lunch or something. Which was the original intention of this thread. I posted last minute as an afterthought, but I checked it for about two hours while getting my gear together and washing myself before I left to see if anybody was going to be there.

All of this notwothstanding, I had a good experience at heritage in Easton. After buying two Handguns in Rahway, I had two range passes to burn so I took a trip out with a friend. The range is short and allows all powers so the atmospheric pressure around the guy next to me shooting a 308 was palpable. That said, the range is immaculate and they have a WIDE array of firearms for rent. The shop has a huge inventory, a decent sized selection of used guns and a sales force who are attentive/knowledgeable/courteous. Personally, it is worth spending some money there just for those reasons. I would not choose to shoot there without free passes because standing next to a guy shooting high powered guns indoors blows donkey cock. But, as far as business models go I think they have a winner. Acknowledge your customers quickly. Smile. Offer a wide selection and do it courteously. Win. Win.

I went to the three premier shops in Easton yesterday. I haven't seen a selection of firearms as good as theirs in Easton. Sarco may have more, but it's all the same kind of thing with them. The shotguns and Lugers and P38s round out wide selection quite nicely. I noticed they don't have many RIA, but that might be because it's the only modern firearm Sarco has, and Sarco seems to have the entire stock for the Eastern half of PA :D

If I had been in there you wouldn't be able to hear that .308 over me. And, yes, I was told .308 is the highest caliber they allow. But they didn't give me a limit on noise level :D

Also, the Lehigh Valley does not end at Easton. Anywhere you stand in the Lehigh Valley there is at least one rod and gun club within 5 miles in every compass direction, at least one Class III dealer (finally got to use that term) within 10 miles, and there are usually 2 or more gun shops in most municipalities. Most of those are not Heritage, but some of them are.

Also, the Lehigh Valley does not end at Easton. Anywhere you stand in the Lehigh Valley there is at least one rod and gun club within 5 miles in every compass direction, at least one Class III dealer (finally got to use that term) within 10 miles, and there are usually 2 or more gun shops in most municipalities. Most of those are not Heritage, but some of them are.

This is truly a reason for envy. Of this, I am incredibly jealous.

I went to the three premier shops in Easton yesterday. I haven't seen a selection of firearms as good as theirs in Easton. Sarco may have more, but it's all the same kind of thing with them. The shotguns and Lugers and P38s round out wide selection quite nicely. I noticed they don't have many RIA, but that might be because it's the only modern firearm Sarco has, and Sarco seems to have the entire stock for the Eastern half of PA :D

If I had been in there you wouldn't be able to hear that .308 over me. And, yes, I was told .308 is the highest caliber they allow. But they didn't give me a limit on noise level :D

Drooling with jealousy

It's very strange. East of Harrisburg, it goes like this. There is nothing up in Poconos except state game lands ranges, Dunks (a pox on you!), Sunset (LOL), and Pocono pistol. People shoot on their land. You don't have land, tough.

In the south, they have the most and the best indoor ranges. And as many indoor ranges allow full auto as probably all the rod and gun clubs in Lehigh Valley.

In Lehigh Valley we have a few indoor ranges, including one that allows Full Auto, but there are endless rod and gun clubs. Ask anybody here how many rod and gun clubs are in their township or borough. There are two in my township (that I know of), and two it the closest two boroughs to me.

There are also lots of former quarries used for diving into the early winter because the water is deep and cools slowly. Same reason we have so many rod and gun clubs.

If you want to shoot around here, you can join 3 different clubs within 5 miles of your house and shoot all year long at all three for about $60-$200.

If you want to shoot full auto, there is only one indoor range in Lehigh Valley (until Heritage does it) and only a few clubs. But I mostly shoot on private property :)

Are you one of the investors at Heritage?

No, I did not call them "poor guys." I said they were ripping off n00bs and they were from Jersey. I think that is notable, since there are likely more shooting n00bs in Jersey than PA and that's probably why they setup in Easton. Ever heard of Sunset Hill? It's a tourist trap in the Pocono's who's business model is to rip off people from New York since most people there don't want to bother in NY and the culture is different. It is the same kind of business. Except, they say the plan to start accommodating people like us separately.

I didn't say that was a problem. I called THAT guy a "poor guy." A guy who gets dumped by his wife and chases after her down the street on foot, only to fall to his knees on the corner and ball his eyes out, is a "poor guy." I think it's friggin sad that this guy had to come to PA to buy a BB gun. I lived in NJ for decades, this is not the first time this came up. If you think I was mocking him, send me your phone number, and I will have the guy that was with me at the time call you and you can ask him about it. There was no mocking. There was sympathy and frustration with NJ gun laws.

You didn't say bashing. You said condescension.

You want bashing? Dunks is a POS and should be run out of business. Bashing.

By contrast, Sarco is selling Stags for $1150 and Suomi mags for (LOL) $145. ALL of Cabellas guns are overpriced. Not bashing. See the difference? Much closer to what I said about Heritage.

I didn't say NJ shooters are gullible. If anything, you could infer that I suggested that n00b shooters at Heritage are gullible, and nearly all of them are from NJ. Very big difference. I doubt the majority of Jersey shooters in Jersey shoot at Heritage.

I also said Heritage has no blame and is not forcing anybody to pay them. AND, I said it is not a bad thing that Heritage is introducing new people to the shooting sports. I just won't pay that money.

Sometimes I have to look down on most people in Jersey in aggregate, unfortunately. Not at all in this case. And certainly no reason to single out Jersey shooters to look down on, what sense would that make?

I bet mosquitoes refuse to bite you, purely out of respect.