BlueLineFish

.22 upper on my RRA

I should add that many people need to use hot ammo (or fire suppressed with any ammo) to get some of the conversions (which dedicated uppers are) to work. So it is possible that the conversion/dedicated upper may limit your ammo selection (unsurpressed) while the purpose-built .22s that look like ARs tend to shoot a wider range of ammo without issue.

It's not always like that, but it is a common difference.

Hell yeah.

I have a Spikes but they stopped making them. Mine kicks ass.

The upper and mags are all you need. If you put it on one of your fancy Police M16s then you should add a trip and an anti-bounce weight :)

Not allowed to use the police ar's. This will be on my RRA lar-15 tac 2

there are sooooooo many youtube videos about the CMMG conversion.. a guy named Plinkster installs his and then runs 6 different brands of ammo at 50 yards to compare the grouping.. great video..

Then he did better than I did with Spikes. My Spikes generally works with one brand, although it seems most people had better luck. Suppressed it shoots anything, including subsonic ammo. It does run well in FA (with the same restrictions) so I lucked out there.

Don't take my experience as ubiquitous, my experience was more disappointing than most (except that I get great FA results). They simply tend to be more picky. You see above somebody who says CMMG works with 6 kinds of ammo.

Decide if you want to shoot .22s out of an AR or you want to shoot .22s out of something that looks like an AR. Also consider if you have any mag costs or restrictions because I don't know how that works for you.

If you want to shoot it out of an AR then get the upper. If you just want it to look like an AR, mags are not an issue, and demand a 95% chance of being able to use almost all ammo, then I would go with a .22 copy or research further.

If they are that picky maybe i should just get an mp 15-22

Joe. I have the CMMG .22 upper on my Spikes lower. It runs great with the Federal bulk. I haven't had any feeding or ejection issues at all. Still trying to figure out the issue with the safety but, I think that may be related to the JP springs I have in there.

What i love about the upper is that i get to still use my actual 223 rifle. Just curious about parts. Is anything else needed besides the complete upper

That's it. A CMMG complete upper comes with the .22 bolt. All you need is mags. They do need to be jerseyfied though. Shave bayo lug, replace flash hider with brake and pin the brake. Also, with the dedicated .22 upper, you get the actual weight of an AR. The M&P is alot lighter.

If you do decide to go the CMMG upper route, check out Hamlund Tactical. He has some in stock. I had mine within a week after ordering. CMMG quoted me 6 - 8 week wait time. Hamlund is also $30 cheaper.

http://hamlundtactical.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=92_169_170

If you do decide to go the CMMG upper route, check out Hamlund Tactical. He has some in stock. I had mine within a week after ordering. CMMG quoted me 6 - 8 week wait time. Hamlund is also $30 cheaper.

http://hamlundtactical.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=92_169_170

Nice. Thanks for all the great info. Too bad this purchase wont count towards the arms race. No NICS

After looking at the cmmg conversion I may just do that. And get the evolution mags with the last round bolt hold open. It's a lot cheaper and seems to work just as well.

Definitely an option. You may lose a little in accuracy but, not enough to matter in steel or just plinking. I need to get some of those mags for my bolt hold open to work but, they are a little pricey.

I think Henry has the CMMG conversion bolt. Shoot him a pm and see how he likes it.

I just went throughthis whole thing recently and you really have to read the fine print on all this stuff. The mags I ordered from PSA were listed as having the bolt catch follower. Well, they do but, it does not activate the bolt hold open adapter. The only mags that work are the new CMMG mags @ $30 each. There is also another work around that uses M&P 15-22 mags and an adapter that works in the standard AR setup. I think I'll just stick with what I have and not worry about bolt hold open.

BHO in an AR-22 isn't easy, but there are options. One option, like others mentioned, is the CMMG EVO system, but the activator can be "finicky" to tune. Another option is the bolt catch from AR Catch22.com and then use M&P 15-22 mags (plus his mag spacer) or the new black dog mags designed for the ARCatch22 catch. Unfortunately the new black dog mags are only available in 30 round variants right now so thats out in NJ. M&P mags are available in 10 round, 10/25 and 15/25 (from RRAges.com) and much more abundant and with his simple spacer pad, M&P mags fit an AR mag well snugly (M&P mags are undersize and need this spacer). Although i have an EVO bolt in my dedicated AR-22, i use the ARCatch22 and M&P mags and the system works.

http://www.arcatch22.com/

RRages has the limited mags and they also have the uppers in stock.

I was under the impression that the CMMG 22 uppers came with the BHO feature. Is that wrong? Do I have to add the arcatch22 to the CMMG upper to get the last round hold open to work?