Bully

Home Defense/Defensive Revolver--Anyone Teach It?

I don't see much difference in home defense with the semi-auto, revolver, or Louisville Slugger other than the individual weapon handling skills. Long guns are more effective than handguns but the difficulty of retention is much higher (not addressing other issues).

I see the need for semi-auto, revolver, shotgun, and rifle courses. This is where you learn those skills specific to that weapon system. You then take those skills and incorporate them into other training. I would be leery of any outfit teaching "home defense with the (fill it whatever weapon)" as it seems to me they are more interested. In selling courses. The tactics are basically the same, the weapon handling is another set of skills.

No, not really. Revolvers will NEVER die.

Agreed.

However, the Spear, the Bow and Arrow, the Crossbow and Black Powder Firearms will never die either but given a situation where I am defending myself against multiple motivated attackers I would not choose them either.

I love his quote “Revolvers are the Pinnacle of 19th Century Weapons Technology”

Agreed.

However, the Spear, the Bow and Arrow, the Crossbow and Black Powder Firearms will never die either but given a situation where I am defending myself against multiple motivated attackers I would not choose them either.

I love his quote “Revolvers are the Pinnacle of 19th Century Weapons Technology”

I understand it's "old school" or older technology. But it still works. My logic of thinking is if your using a revolver for home defense, your mind is already ingrained in the fact that you only have 5 or 6 or 7 or 8 shots so you'll shoot wisely. As apposed to, "Hell, I got 15 rounds on tap I'll just keep shooting".

This is all a moot point for me as I use a 12 gauge with 5 rounds on tap. That's the same amount as a snubbie revolver. Do I feel I need more ammo? No, because I'll make the shots count.

I AM a NRA Certified Instructor and RSO. And a NRA Life Member with more than 44 years of shooting experience, having grown-up around firearms. There is no Certificate for learning advanced techniques such as room-clearing, crouching/kneeling to avoid being hit, using cover effectively, etc., and yet a lot of NRA Instructors teach such non-NRA courses.

I am NOT the OP in the other thread asking if it's O-K to clean guns in your back yard while you let your kids play in the same area! I'm the guy with common sense on that thread, so YOU my friend have it all bass-ackwards!

So please look again to see what I wrote and BACK OFF.

And have a nice rest of the day!

Dave

i do not have a dog in this fight, but exactly what disciplines are you certified in? do you give lesson in other disciplines? can you provide me with any nra certifications? also aren't YOU skeptical about going into a strangers home without knowing THEIR degree of gun handling skills? im sure in 44 years of being around firearms youve seen some scary stuff.

Bump.

Sorry for the delay in answering; been tied-up with personal business, Sandy, etc.

Stony you bring-up something that Chris and I already discussed (inviting someone into your home). That's why I've invited him to watch/participate in any number of league shoots of various disciplines that I'm involved in so we can get to know each other. And we get to see each other's gun handling skills. Only then would I be invited into his home. As for some shooters being SCARY, I agree with you Stony. Fortunately since I primarily only shoot in leagues at this point, the Scary ones tend to be weeded-out from their own DQ'ng (as it should be). As for Certifications, I have several (already listed, and told to Chris via phone call), and as stated previously several NRA Certified Instructors offer non-NRA courses.

Griz hit the nail on the head as far as training is concerned. I see practically NO difference, except in the weapons system in use (and remember Col. Cooper's suggestion that the hand gun is used to fight TO the long gun). Most of the training is MENTAL. Being able to actually pull the trigger at the right instant is essential. NRA classes are for NOOBS to learn which end of the gun the bullets come out. A full-service visitation and examination of ALL security measures the homeowner employs is what I'm offering. Fencing, dogs, battery-operated lighting, the works. And I'll have experts in each respective area to confer with prior to formal recommendations.

I'll admit it's somewhat radical, but then sometimes simple common sense is these days.......

Dave