Bully

Home Defense/Defensive Revolver--Anyone Teach It?

Hi everyone.

Revolvers: they have several advantages for home defense, such as being unlikely to jam or suffer oddball mechanical issues. When treating home defense classes all instructors should discuss this. In any event, the best home defense gun is the one you're likely to use and enjoy training with and shooting. If that's a revolver, great.

Room clearing: up to you of course, and IANAL etc, but I'm pretty sure that could lead you into trouble. None if the home defense instructors I know would advise that. Working with your home environment however is another question, but as an instructor, I'd be wary of going to the homes of people I don't know for this purpose.

Rosey: unquestionable revolver and 1911 skills and an excellent and committed teacher, tutor and trainer. If you question that you clearly haven't met him.

Good luck to all!!

G

I know this thread is 2 pages long and I skimmed through posts, but an instructor from Direct Action Tactical out of PA (I think Lancaster) is very VERY good with a revolver. He does some USPSA/IDPA matches and he's pretty damn fast. I wouldn't be surprised if he puts together defensive revolver classes at DAT.

It always fascinates me how these threads evolve.

To those that have/are slamming Smokin .50... I'm a big boy and quite able to make my own decisions. I appreciate the warning and words of caution but the thought of bringing an absolute stranger into my home gives me enough cause to be extremely cautious and to do my own research. Add to that the fact that I will be trusting this person for guidance to get through something I hope to never have to go through. Well, I'll do a bit more investigation.

I love the article that was posted. Very insightful. As an FYI, this revolver is not my only firearm. I am simply asking for guidance on using it in a defensive role as the preponderance of information is geared toward semi-autos. That's all.

Thanks again to all that have responded so far. Please continue.

C

Christopher,

I'd feel the same way as you do right now. Please take your time to think things all of the way through, since there isn't a rush to do this by tomorrow and I haven't even asked for a deposit of any kind. I want you to be comfortable, so you and the Mrs. can learn some things and have fun doing it. If you would like to meet/speak with me prior to my visit, I can give you a PM with my schedule of the shotgun-pistol-rifle matches I routinely attend. Come and watch--it won't cost you anything but gas and some of your time, or come-out and shoot alongside of me for the club's small walk-on fee to shoot the match. Then I won't be a "complete stranger" and just a voice over the phone. Talk to whom ever you want about my character and trustworthiness, and meet some of the posters here face-to-face.

I fully realize that this new approach may be trend-setting. Having someone you've met over-the-phone (and hopefully at their home range) invade your private space and inform you of their opinion of your security measures that you've implimented to protect your family is somewhat scary. But by having "an Outsider" give you some suggestions on how to improve said security, you could be saving yourself and your loved ones a lot of aggrevation and/or harm in the future. NOBODY wants to have to actually shoot someone to protect their family, but you've already taken the first step. You've purchased firearms for home protection. The next step is entirely up to you..........and in the meantime, what ever you wind-up deciding to do, please practice safe gun handling and get your wife to the range as often as possible.

Have a great week and take care!

Dave

^^^ I LOVE this guy!!!^^^

Bark n bite, if you don't have constructive advice or criticism, please leave. I am on a first name basis with someone that runs a VERY successful home defense school here in NJ. They do NOT teach home defense for the revolver. If you know someone that does, please share. Otherwise you are nothing more than a bitter PITA that loves negativity.

Again, I'm a big boy. I've been burned by the best and have learned by my mistakes. I will be doing due diligence as it's my home. Dave seems like a nice guy and has had more than a couple of folks jump to his defense. That speaks volumes. I will be taking him up on his offer to meet him at a match and see how things go in person.

Again, I thank you for your words of caution. Anything further that is not constructive is really not welcome.

C

My ability to send PM's is impaired, currently. If anyone would like to speak for Dave (Smokin .50) personally, please PM me your number and I will call you.

Thanks.

C

Chris, you got my #. Text me if you have to.

The OP has stated his intentions and stated that he has made a decision.

To everyone else: Please bear in mind that this is the Training,Techniques, and Tools sub-forum, not the general discussion forum.

Remember many none members lurk here looking for guidance and other then a handful of posts trying to answer the OP's question reading this mess doesn't make the NJGF look like a credible source for information on training.

Please keep that in mind before you post.

Like him or not, he's got an impressive resume and knows his shit. More then any of us will ever get to claim that's for sure...

No, not really. Revolvers will NEVER die. And he recommends a lightweight pocket 357? Yeah okay, he's a genius.