Sign in to follow this  
woodentoe

Best option for small game

Im curious what our hunters choose as their weapon when hunting very small game like cottontails or squirrel. I know we can't use air guns or rimfires. It's just that if you're sitting in a blind and not flushing with dogs, that a shotgun is just going to destroy the game...no?

I have zero hunting experience and am interested in exploring it. How does a complete novice get started and have good experiences in the field?

Shotgun, and use small game loads. You won't destroy the game... no worries. I've hunted small game since I was a kid, with my dad, when we lived in Europe... and the weapon of choice was always a 12GA side by side. I haven't been small game hunting in a few years though... These days I mostly hunt deer... but would like to eventually get back into small game.

EDIT: You'll want to sign up and take a NJ Hunters Education course, as soon as you can... so you can get a hunting permit. Then try and read up as much as you can about hunting small game to learn what yu can and also see if you can find someone experience that you can hunt with that can mentor you. If you're goign to be hunting rabbits and birds, it also helps if you have a good hunting dog... it'll increase your chances of success by quite a bit.

I've already done the online course but that was a while ago so I reckon I will have to do it again. Then set up the field day.

I've never dressed an animal besides a fish so I'm a little nervous. But it is definitely a skill I would like to pick up.

I know rabbits and upland game would be easier with a dog but I'm not sure I'm ready for all that.

I live in Middlesex county so picnics are slim and I know I will have to travel. It may turn out that PA is better for me.

I've already done the online course but that was a while ago so I reckon I will have to do it again. Then set up the field day.

I've never dressed an animal besides a fish so I'm a little nervous. But it is definitely a skill I would like to pick up.

I know rabbits and upland game would be easier with a dog but I'm not sure I'm ready for all that.

I live in Middlesex county so picnics are slim and I know I will have to travel. It may turn out that PA is better for me.

No worries, dude... Field dressing small game is a easy, as long as you're not squeamish. Just go slow and careful with the knife. It's nothing like dressing large game, such as deer, which is a lot more involved. I'm sure you can find lots of videos online that can show you step by step, how to do it, as well.

Im curious what our hunters choose as their weapon when hunting very small game like cottontails or squirrel. I know we can't use air guns or rimfires. It's just that if you're sitting in a blind and not flushing with dogs, that a shotgun is just going to destroy the game...no?

I have zero hunting experience and am interested in exploring it. How does a complete novice get started and have good experiences in the field?

Remember that shotguns throw a pattern of shot, that is what connects with the intended game. The larger gauges just hold more shot than the smaller gauges, all things being equal, which can make the larger gauges more effective. The downside of course is weight and recoil the shooter must endure. When all things are equal, a 20 ga can hit as hard as a 12 ga. The larger gauges with their greater size payloads are intended to give you an added edge as range increases and pattern density is required for humane kills. Shot size and choke dimensions will also make a difference in your success as well.

Contrary to what people believe, it's very easy to miss game afield despite shooting the biggest gauge and payload available. When field-dressing your game, often you'll discover that only a few pellets hit their mark, especially on moving game.

You will get varying opinions on what shot sizes to use for squirrel and rabbit, and that's often based upon hunting conditions and terrain.

This is a good starting point for explaining shot sizes and what to use for small game: http://www.shotgunworld.com/amm.html

Field Dressing..........(ack PUKE)

Ok A SHARP VERY SHARP SMALL FOLDING/FIXED BLADE KNIFE.....is YOUR FRIEND.... Rabbits etc are nothing more than a fish...I do throw a towl over it's head... LOL....

BIRDS SMELL to high heaven....if you have an over active olfactory sense, as I do....I carry a bandanna with a little old spice powder in it...that I wrap my face with, or a small jar of menthol vaseline and a put a swab under my nose...

Also a pair of rubber gloves...and ziplock bag (large) as well as some baby/contractor wipes to clean my hands... Small game is just like a fish....to a degree...skinning em out is not that hard...

NOW large game....Deer...I HATE LOATHE CANNOT STAND TO DO....but I do it... WATCH THE GUT SACK, STOMACH, BLADDER etc...anything internal in the digestive track you DO NOT want to rupture if you can help it....if you do...have fun...and make sure it is well washed out when you get it home.... Worst part for me is cutting the a$$ end....throat not bad....helps to be with a friend the first few times when dressing large game....

Small game is no problem.... Listen Get all your stuff together...I'll see if I can arrange something up this way for small game...for you....we will go out for a few hours and see what we see.... :-)

Nick, good advice... I field dressed my first deer last year all on my own as I usually hunt alone (no hunting buddies around where I live) and it was lets just say.... an experience... LOL. My only experience until then was dressing rabbits and birds... and chickens on my grandparents farm when I was a kid. Man, once I got the deer cut open, the smell was pretty bad! LOL! I'm one of those folks with really sensitive olfactory senses. I won't lie.... I gagged a few times... It took me a while as I went slow and methodically, as it was my first time... but I pushed on and I got it done. I like your idea of the bandana with some kind of scent on it... I'll have to try that out nex time.

12GA and small game loads. 12GA is nice because you can also use it for deer. You basically walk the woods for squirrel and hunt the fields for rabbit. I haven't gone in a long time, but opening day for pheasant in the flatbrook area sounded like vietnam. Weekdays are best for hunting the more popular WMA's in NJ.

If you are interested in pheasant and don't have a dog, hunt the wooded area's on the edge of fields. The pheasant that get scared out, or missed shots, will be hanging close by.

Listen Get all your stuff together...I'll see if I can arrange something up this way for small game...for you....we will go out for a few hours and see what we see.... :-)

Nick,

Looks iike all the upcoming field days are booked. My cert for the online course is good until November 4th. I took it a while ago, like I said. I'll keep an eye on the schedule and if the offer still stands, I would love to take you up on it.

Field Dressing..........(ack PUKE)

NOW large game....Deer...I HATE LOATHE CANNOT STAND TO DO....but I do it... WATCH THE GUT SACK, STOMACH, BLADDER etc...anything internal in the digestive track you DO NOT want to rupture if you can help it....if you do...have fun...and make sure it is well washed out when you get it home.... Worst part for me is cutting the a$$ end....throat not bad....helps to be with a friend the first few times when dressing large game....

Happiness is.......... a warm gut pile. :)