Theron

Apex tactical DCAEK and Universal sight tool

I've shot several M&Ps, and while the trigger wasn't anything special, I didn't find them to be terrible either.

Last permit I picked up a M&P 45 and the trigger on this particular pistol was extremely mushy, gritty, and inconsistent, though not particularly heavy. I read about the D/CAEK put out by Apex Tactical and ordered one expecting hype.

After installation, which took about 40 minutes total due to my slow pace, the grit is gone, the pull consistent, and sear release crisp with a more noticable reset.post-1610-0-98749200-1348604904_thumb.jpg I didn't replace the trigger springs

I used a 1/8" pin punch, a mallet, a vise, and the universal Hand gun sight tool which I needed to remove the night sights to access the ram.post-1610-0-38748100-1348604539_thumb.jpg

While I'm at it I would also like to give a little praise for Fisher Solutions the company that makes the Universal sight tool as their delivery was quick, and the product is easy to use, and built rock solid.post-1610-0-30762000-1348604731_thumb.jpg

Overall I'm very pleased with the Apex kit.

The Apex DCAEK is an awesome upgrade for the M&P. I put the DCAEK into my full size M&P 9mm back a few months ago and the difference between it and the stock parts was like night and day. My M&P has now become my most favorite pistol to shoot, next to my 1911. I love the smoot trigger pull and the very nice short reset that the DCAEK gives me. I didn't use a sight tool to do the work on mine... I just carefully clamped down the slide and used a brass punch with the tip wrapped in tape to get the sight out. Several light hits with the hammer and I was able to get the sight out without any issues... I'm sure the sight pusher is a much more elegant way to do it... but I was able to do it without damaging or marring the sight or the slide.

Just a question, why didn't you replace the trigger spring that comes with the kit?

The pull is also at 4.5# as well which I'm very pleased with.

Yeah, the sight tool wasn't necessary, but I couldn't resist the shiny.

I didn't replace the springs yet as I like to do one swap at a time to see how it affects function and trouble shoot if necessary.

The springs will be next after I fire it with the new ram. (Already shot with the sear).

I did end up pulling the thumb safety off as non of my other pistols has a manual safety and it was interfering with my grip.

I'm so pleased with the results I don't understand why S&W doesn't ship them this way.

The only problem with Burwell from what I hear though, is that it's almost impossible to get a hold of him to get your M&P worked on by him. I've talked to at least 2 different people that had tried calling and emailing him to get there pistol worked on and he never replied to their calls or emails. So they went with the Apex kits and never looked back. I've seen the same reports on a couple of different online forums as well. I don't know if it's because the guy is so busy or just not that into his business.

Even with my technical skills... I don't know if I feel comfortable with making all the radical changes to some of the parts as depicted in his trigger job tutorial. The Apex kit at least makes me comfortable that I'm putting good parts into the gun that I don't have to worry about causing any failures later on.

The only problem with Burwell from what I hear though, is that it's almost impossible to get a hold of him to get your M&P worked on by him. I've talked to at least 2 different people that had tried calling and emailing him to get there pistol worked on and he never replied to their calls or emails. So they went with the Apex kits and never looked back. I've seen the same reports on a couple of different online forums as well. I don't know if it's because the guy is so busy or just not that into his business.

Even with my technical skills... I don't know if I feel comfortable with making all the radical changes to some of the parts as depicted in his trigger job tutorial. The Apex kit at least makes me comfortable that I'm putting good parts into the gun that I don't have to worry about causing any failures later on.

IIRC that is not his regular business. Dan has a "day" job and does the gunsmithing on the side. At least that is the way it was a couple of years ago.