Sign in to follow this  
TheWombat

FL women flies into Newark with loaded gun in purse

I think that if you know you're going to fly commercial and forget you have a gun in your carryon you're pretty stupid. On the other hand if you forget to take out something like a Swiss Army knife, pair of scissors, letter opener, or something you normally carry in that bag for some use other than a weapon that's understandable.

No doubt the prosecutor made at least part of his decision in an effort to keep this out of the press as much as possible. If this woman was a terrorist she stood a good chance of succeeding.

When they started TSA they had problems filling the jobs. In order to fill jobs they lowered standards. There were people hired as FAMs that would not qualify for a similar paying job with another Federal agency. In some cases people went to TSA to get out of the agency they were in. Some decided to stay there for a promotion or they were close to retirement. Others left as soon as they could find something better. Many stayed because they lacked the qualifications to go anywhere else. By now some of these people are in management at TSA. If they lowered standards to recruit FAMs how low did they go for screeners?

I have a few stories of dealing with TSA many of them from when I was on the job and flew with a gun all the time. This includes 2 FAMs who let me fly from Minneapolis to Newark without being sure I was who I said I was.

I tend to agree with you mostly and would have agreed 100% before I moved to Florida. I can understand how that can happen now. I went bike riding today and forgot that I had one of my guns in my fanny pack as it is only 9 oz. It is not illegal to carry it but I did not take my CCW card with me as I should. I also have a gun in the carry on sized luggage bag I throw in my car and my briefcase as I sometimes have to either rush to a local location for a few hours or rush to another city by car for an extended stay due to the nature of my business. I have sometimes forgotten to pack it in the rush to get on the road so now I just keep guns from my collection in the bags I will grab quickly and hit the road. No kids here and never will be so I keep guns all over the house and in various bags ready to go for different purposes like a hurricane bug out bag. After a few months I sometimes look for a gun having forgotten that it is still in my briefcase or luggage. It happens when a gun becomes part of your EDC and you have enough to setup business and emergency bug out bags. :)

I have taken a gun where I was not supposed to because after carrying a gun for over two years I do not even think about it anymore. It is just something I carry along with my phone, wallet, keys, etc.. There are so few places I cannot carry and unless you are used to going to such places you tend to not think about not being able to carry or that you have a gun in your car or bag. So I can now better understand how it can happen. Careless? Yes it is but we are human and subject to all that goes with it.

If you are not used to carrying a concealed gun with you every minute of the time you are outside or keep one packed along with your essential travel items in your travel and/or hurricane evacuation bag, I can understand how you cannot understand how someone can forget that they have a gun in their luggage.

I tend to agree with you mostly and would have agreed 100% before I moved to Florida. I can understand how that can happen now. I went bike riding today and forgot that I had one of my guns in my fanny pack as it is only 9 oz. It is not illegal to carry it but I did not take my CCW card with me as I should. I also have a gun in the carry on sized luggage bag I throw in my car and my briefcase as I sometimes have to either rush to a local location for a few hours or rush to another city by car for an extended stay due to the nature of my business. I have sometimes forgotten to pack it in the rush to get on the road so now I just keep guns from my collection in the bags I will grab quickly and hit the road. No kids here and never will be so I keep guns all over the house and in various bags ready to go for different purposes like a hurricane bug out bag. After a few months I sometimes look for a gun having forgotten that it is still in my briefcase or luggage. It happens when a gun becomes part of your EDC and you have enough to setup business and emergency bug out bags. :)

I have taken a gun where I was not supposed to because after carrying a gun for over two years I do not even think about it anymore. It is just something I carry along with my phone, wallet, keys, etc.. There are so few places I cannot carry and unless you are used to going to such places you tend to not think about not being able to carry or that you have a gun in your car or bag. So I can now better understand how it can happen. Careless? Yes it is but we are human and subject to all that goes with it.

If you are not used to carrying a concealed gun with you every minute of the time you are outside or keep one packed along with your essential travel items in your travel and/or hurricane evacuation bag, I can understand how you cannot understand how someone can forget that they have a gun in their luggage.

I really have to differ with your opinion on this. I have carried a gun just about every day for nearly 40 years. I always knew when I had a gun and when I didn't.

Not realizing you have a gun with you makes it worthless.

I really have to differ with your opinion on this. I have carried a gun just about every day for nearly 40 years. I always knew when I had a gun and when I didn't.

Not realizing you have a gun with you makes it worthless.

The fact that your personal experience is not the same as mine only means that we have different experiences and does not support either position. People post things all the time supporting products or things based on their experience with it. It does not negate anyone else's experience however.

Most concealed carriers here do not carry all the time. So not having a gun on them is as normal as having one. I do not think about my cell phone on my hip either and yet when I need to make a phone call I know right where it is. So it is with guns for some of us. Most measure how well a gun carries by how often you are not aware of its presence. There is also a big difference between someone who carries a gun for a living and a civilian. Regardless of your personal experience it is obvious by the many cases of people forgetting about guns in luggage, who are subsequently not fined or arrested, that people are not behaving as your personal experience has indicated that they should. :)

As for my not knowing I had a gun in my fanny pack and thus making it worthless, you are right but then again I did not intend to carry a gun with me so where is the danger as I would not have gone for a gun in any case? :)

I'm still scratching my head trying to figure out why this woman would report this.

I was in the airport on my way to Germany and found *gasp* a hollow point .22 in my coat pocket. I didn't immediately go find the nearest TSA goon and prostrate myself before him and beg forgiveness. I wrapped it in a napkin and tossed it in the trash.

If I ever were to forget I had a gun in my Carry-on and it made it through security, I would be sweating bullets until I got off of the airport property and that would be the end of it.

You're either stupid or careless. Those who walk on water around here could probably help narrow it down.

You're either stupid or careless. Those who walk on water around here could probably help narrow it down.

You're either being intentionally insulting or ignorant. Those that live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.

We can all play this game.

You're either being intentionally insulting or ignorant. Those that live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.

We can all play this game.

Neither actually. I was being fecetious and it was a play on two earlier comments made regarding not knowing the location of your gun at every waking second. Your second sentence was exactly my point. We all make mistakes and for someone living in a state that doesn't have NJ's ridiculous restrictions on handguns it's easier than one thinks to forget that they have a gun in the purse or the glove box. They know it is there when they need it but it isn't always on the forefront of their mind. That doesn't mean they are stupid or careless. They don't have to live by the same standard as someone in NJ or someone who is LE. So she didn't realize it was in her purse, maybe she never leaves the purse unattended, maybe there was a trigger lock, who knows. Doesn't mean she is stupid. She is just used to living in America.

Neither actually. I was being fecetious

Likewise. :)

and it was a play on two earlier comments made regarding not knowing the location of your gun at every waking second. Your second sentence was exactly my point. We all make mistakes and for someone living in a state that doesn't have NJ's ridiculous restrictions on handguns it's easier than one thinks to forget that they have a gun in the purse or the glove box. They know it is there when they need it but it isn't always on the forefront of their mind. That doesn't mean they are stupid or careless. They don't have to live by the same standard as someone in NJ or someone who is LE. So she didn't realize it was in her purse, maybe she never leaves the purse unattended, maybe there was a trigger lock, who knows. Doesn't mean she is stupid. She is just used to living in America.

Fact(s).

I'm still scratching my head trying to figure out why this woman would report this.

I was in the airport on my way to Germany and found *gasp* a hollow point .22 in my coat pocket. I didn't immediately go find the nearest TSA goon and prostrate myself before him and beg forgiveness. I wrapped it in a napkin and tossed it in the trash.

If I ever were to forget I had a gun in my Carry-on and it made it through security, I would be sweating bullets until I got off of the airport property and that would be the end of it.

My best guess is that she was worried about getting on the return flight--since she had not checked or declared the gun on the outbound don't you think there is a good possibility there would be questions about where the gun came from--how did she obtain a gun in the NY/NJ metro area, in a matter of a few days while here on a trip?

What would be the best way to handle this--to get the gun back home without raising questions from TSA/PA? Maybe mail it back home?