mattio41

Ejection Assist

For lack of a better term, I am going to use the term Ejection Assit.

I have not owned pump shotguns previously, and had just purchased one. Took it to the range the other day. Firing my first round, I was surprised to see that the breach was halfway open with the shell. I originally thought, Holy Crap, what the hell happened. Had the range master come over and take a look with me. We ejected the round completely, chambered the next and fired. Same effect. What we started to realize was, this was a function of the gun, in order to make reloading the next round faster.

Call me ignorant, but is this normal amongst most Pump Shotguns??

Are you saying that when you shoot a round off, the slide comes back a little bit to expose some of the spent shell?

That is exactly what I am saying. Almost half the shell.

now I admit, that made for very easy reloading and chambering the next round, but is that something that is normal?

According to a Youtube comment:

It seems to have a feature like the Remington 870 P or Police. Thats the reason it breaks free when you fire it. this is for faster chambering of another shell. This is why you can unload 4-5 shells on an 870 P ( NOT a regular 870) and not a mossberg etc.... Someone experience in Tactical shooting would appreciate this. If you dont like it try leaning fwd and actually NOT pulling back on pump OR pulling fwd slightly. Should fix that persky ol tactical feature for ya

For lack of a better term, I am going to use the term Ejection Assit.

I have not owned pump shotguns previously, and had just purchased one. Took it to the range the other day. Firing my first round, I was surprised to see that the breach was halfway open with the shell. I originally thought, Holy Crap, what the hell happened. Had the range master come over and take a look with me. We ejected the round completely, chambered the next and fired. Same effect. What we started to realize was, this was a function of the gun, in order to make reloading the next round faster.

Call me ignorant, but is this normal amongst most Pump Shotguns??

Your new pump is a Savage 320, correct? It has a rotary lockup. It is a clone of the Winchester1200 & 1300 shotguns. This is a common attribute for all of them. (Winchester even used this phenomenon you are experiencing as an advertising line, calling it "Speed Assist.") There is nothing wrong with your shotgun. It is working the way it was designed. If you find this annoying, push forward with your hand on the forearm away from you to mitigate the rearward movement when firing.

So... I can be a range master and not know crap beyond gun safety and clearing common jams. Contact Remington it's only a phone call. Maybe the brand new models differ from the ones I have shot. But relying on a range officers experience may not always be the smartest move

Seriously though, you may want a smith to take a look at that. It's seems like the gun isn't fully locking up with the forward stroke. A sure way to determine if this is so would be to bench the gun and fire without support on the forearm, but that could be mega dangerous so I wouldn't try it.

It is working normally. Your rotary bolt is a clone of the Winchester. For years, Winchester touted this shotgun as their "speed pump." It's lockup is different than a Rem. 870.

http://www.wincheste...tail.asp?id=218

Thank you, that is it... And I can say that it is actually pretty cool...