Sign in to follow this  
grumpy3132

S&W 625 grips

This is a situation that I'd have to say you need to go with what feels best for you. I've carried and competed with revolvers for almost 40 years and what I like in a grip may be totally wrong for you. I've seen a lot of people reject a revolver because they didn't like how it "feels". The problem is the gun had the wrong grips and revolvers have a much better ability (in varying degrees) to change grips than semi autos. There are a lot of nice wood grips out there but AFAIC neoprene grips like Hogue and Pachmyrs are best for carry and competition.

I like the Hogue Monogrip (rubber) and Pachmyr Gripper. IMO, the Hogue gives you less felt recoil as they cover the backstrap but can be an issue if you have small hands and/or short fingers as they place web of the hand further back. I have normal hands but short fingers and use these or the Pachmyrs well. There are other styles from both manufacturers. I suggest you go to a well stocked gun store and see how they feel to you.

An advantage of most neoprene grips is if you buy the wrong ones you're only out $20-30 vs at least twice as much or more for wood grips.

Hope this helps.

IMO, the Hogue gives you less felt recoil as they cover the backstrap but can be an issue if you have small hands and/or short fingers as they place web of the hand further back.

GRIZ:

The only Hogue revolver grips, that I know of, that cover the backstrap are those that are made for theX-frames and were furnished with the "Emergency Packs". They are available from S&W and will fit the K, L, N and X frame round butts. All other Hogues leave most (RB to SB conversion grips) or all of the backstrap exposed and do not lengthen the backstrap to trigger face dimension.

Pachmayr Grippers cover the backstrap.

Just bought a set of Hogue Big Butts for one of my 625's, but don't have the gun at hand, as it is currently having magic worked upon it :rolleyes:

Adios,

Pizza Bob

You're must be correct Bob. I was looking at the Hogues on my GP100 which of course has no backstrap. However I have Grippers on a K frame with an open backstrap. This may be due to variations in style offered at different times (these grips are at least 20 years old). I have newer Grippers that cover the backstrap.