BlackOps Badger

Colt HBAR

Thinkin about pickin up a Colt HBAR. I am stupid when it comes to AR's, so I was wondering, is it a worth while gun? Are Colts really all that they're cracked up to be? I'd like to know everyone's experience with them if any. The one that I'm lookin to pick up is used. Looks to be in good shape. The only real wear that I'm seeing is on the shell deflector, or whatever that think is called. Anything I should look for that would throw up any red flags on a used AR? Thanks in advance for any help.

I have a Colt Match Competition HBAR (MT6700), that I bought with the idea of getting into high power shooting. Colt made a couple of rifles of this type. The MT6700 has the removable carry handle (A3) upper, and the Match HBAR (MT6601)has the A2 upper with the fixed carry handle.

The MT6700 has the 1/9 twist, non-chrome lined barrel. Its a very accurate rifle,shoots much better than I can.

The MT6601 has a 1/7 twist, non chrome lined barrel.

I would say that $850 is a pretty good price for either one.

Let us know what you pick up!

A Colt HBAR in the $850 range is a good deal, and a great place to start in high-power competitions (or any rifle competition or fun shooting). Be aware that if it's a "C" model (with compensator) you can't use it in most competitions, and even if you can it's no fun for the people in the lanes next to you!

2000rd is about anywhere between half to 1/5th of the barrel life, depending on what you expect from it. They are supposed to be match barrels, 1/9 twist, not chromed. If you expect match performance, then you probably have anywhere between zero and 2000 rounds left of decent performance, depending on what ammo the previous owner used.

For my taste that rifle is way to heavy. 20" HBAR barrels are a bit of a pig, you are looking at 8.5lb rifle.

Well, based on what people who shoot match barrels in .223 do to their barrels, about 4000 rounds seems to be when they change them. Mind you, I said this is depending on what you want from it. Not everyone cares about sub minute groups, and likely if the barrel was good to start with it will be good for a lot longer. I just assume if buy an HBAR Colt you do it because you want to shoot some specific type of shooting. I wouldn't worried at all about 2000 rd on a general purpose AR.

I would however wonder if that number is real, you never know.

Other than the fact that they are a bit heavier, they are great accurate rifles. I don't think you can go wrong. I think the price on a brand new MT6700 is about 1100 so I would just save the difference and buy new.

Another thing if you get a better deal used and the barrel were worn couldn't you just swap the barrel? These things are the Jeep Wranglers of rifles you can build them from the ground up.

I know this is probably a dumb question around here, but why is this rifle not banned in NJ? I think most civilian Colts were marked "sporter" or somesuch so I didn't think the lack of AR-15 rollmark made them legal.

Yes, I know there are all kids of AR copies that are legal in jersey, I just never thought Colts would be on the list.

If you're worried about wear, throw it in a rest and shoot a five round group before buying it. Stainless match barrels may not have the same service life as a chrome lined barrel however I wouldn't say they're shot out very quickly either. Match barrels see a relatively slow rate of fire and it's the firing schedule and subsequent heat buildup that kills barrels, not sheer round count.