checko

New (to me) Mossberg M590A1

Heres my new shotgun (aquired via trade from kman, thanks again)

2012-11-15_17-19-48_387.jpg

Now, this is my first shotgun. I did a little reading up on it but it was more a less and impulse thing. I never had a shotgun, wanted one, offered this one, read good reviews, done!

So what the hell can I do with this thing? lol It's gonna be, first and foremost, a home defense shotty and training shotgun. I'd like to be able to F around and bust up some clays every now and again. I don't do any competition YET, but would think about doing a 3 gun thing for fun. Not much to be the fastest time on the block.

Also, the length of pull is pretty long, what pistol grip & stock would you all recommend? Should I get a side saddle?

Thanks

Dude you did great, IMHO the M590A1 is one of the best shotguns on the planet and quite possibly the best of the SHTF guns you could own, lets assume everyone agrees on how great a shotgun could and would be for SHTF, and a pump at that is basically the best for reliability and run-ability )it won't jam up or need cleaning/oiling etc.( ... the M590A1 is the top of the list because in addition to MOST of the good guns being reliable, this Mossberg model was designed specifically to meet and exceed the Military's torture test, It is TOUGH AS NAILS when you say that statement you mean it, Tough as Nails. And its got the parkerzed finish, IMHO the best you could get on a shotgun short of a Cerakote or Duracoat painting. When you got the dual action bars, metal as opposed to plastic (aluminum) trigger guard, safety, ...Heavy Walled Barrels (18.5 or 20" i think your choice) it is just a beast!

\

I have a Mossberg 930 SPX, and I love it like a prized possession , so I have not as of yet bought a M590A1 because my M930SPX satisfied my Mossberg craving and there is a particular 1 or 2 M590A1 model I want (There are a ton of them because of the variations of the items and features) .. and I have a think for combat shotguns , so I will buy a M590A1 someday but added a different brand just recently... BUT YOU DID GREAT, And you're rightfully allowed to be proud and loud buddy.

As far as What you can do, what can't you? To the best of my knowledge, a 590A1 will run any Mossberg 500 barrel so you can add and extra or extras barrels... you could say just get a 24" general purpose bbl and be done with it, you can add two barrels ... Lets say you are a big time gamer (trap skeet clays etc. ) and also turkey hunter you might get a 22 or 24" barrel for hunting and a 30" or 28" for game shooting sports or even duck/bird flying hunting etc, Maybe a 22" rifled barrel for deer hunting and 26" for other shotshell general hunting, you get the picture.

I'd say congrats buddy I love your shotgun.

one last thing- I meant to add. .. For my M930SPX I have the 18.5" barrel (Which comes with the very nice "M16 style front sight winged post" with red fiber optic tube.). .. I will probably add a barrel for it, and there is not a ton of options for the 930 series like there is for the 500/590's .. and I am going to go with a 24" barrel with fiber optic sights ... This gives me the most overall general purpose flexibility , hunting and gaming everything possible nothing perfect or expertise.

With my new Remington 870 I might add some specific barrels... The cool thing is Remington 870 has A TON of barrel options because its the worlds most popular premium shotgun, and even Mossberg makes barrels for it. So I might pick up one of those Mossberg Tacticool barrels with the muzzle devices (I know I know, but hey why not) and maybe either a rifled slug barrel or a longer barrel, like 28? (If I have a 24" bbl for my Mossberg 930 I'd want something OTHER than that, so I'd go longer in the 870 style.) . .. but there is just so many options.. I believe it was Old School? who just sold off a ton of barrels and it was a perfect example of someone making the absolute most use of their gun with the optional barrels, so many different platforms covered with the same gun.

Hey Cguiro nice gun you got there, I could not get the guys at CMO to understand there is a 500, 590, and 590A1... they were acting like I was retarded and mentally deficient, I mean literally talking slow etc. "What dont you understand IT IS A 590 ... **SPECIAL PURPOSE** and I was like, I want a 590 *A1* ... SPECIAL PURPOSE... the 590A1 is the military version, they are like, DUDE THIS IS A 590 .. I gave up.

And then I bought an 870 Tactical at Dick's Sporting Goods just in spite and on general principle (the 870 Tac was the best combat shotgun they had. I wish I had got an 870 Police but I might do the 870P upgrade with A and P Tactical

Haha I took my 590 completely apart and ky buddies 590a1 apart only difference we found is the trigger group is all metal and so is the safety. Otherwise identical haha. But seriously get a bayonet haha nothing better for a hd gun cuz if for some chance you run out of ammo or to close to a wall that a child is behind u can stab haha.

Get a bayonet and a light on it. And your done haha

Oh I plan on it. Lol.

Scrap, thanks for the info. I didn't know I could just switch out barrels to fit my needs. That will help out.

But what is the cylinder bore generally used for? And any recommendations on a smaller stick. This one is just too long and I want a pistol grip.

Depends what kinda stock u like.. adjustable. .fixed and so on. I have a mil spec adjustable set up on my 500. Fixed is nice but u may find it to long if recoil is an issue for you mesa tactical makes a recoil reducing set up that supposedly works great. Kinda pricey but it will give u what you want. My 500 is the top gun that has the adjustable stock. If ur local ur more then welcome to try out an adjustable stock prior to purchasing.

20120816_155655.jpg

Depends what kinda stock u like.. adjustable. .fixed and so on. I have a mil spec adjustable set up on my 500. Fixed is nice but u may find it to long if recoil is an issue for you mesa tactical makes a recoil reducing set up that supposedly works great. Kinda pricey but it will give u what you want. My 500 is the top gun that has the adjustable stock. If ur local ur more then welcome to try out an adjustable stock prior to purchasing.

Recoil isn't my main concern, shortening the stock is. I do like having the extra 4 rounds in the stock, but doubt there is a smaller one that has the same feature. I'm not TOO far away, maybe I'll take you up on that one day.

Chris, you have done well. Get a rail and a light and your done.

Ah Ray I thought you'd like that. When you say rail do you mean on the foregrip?

Congratulations on your new 590A1! I've got a similar one, and I love it. Had a 500 before I got it, but I just became enamored with the sturdy, badass look of the 590A1. I agree with most of Scrap's enthusiasm, but unfortunately, you cannot switch out barrels with the 500's. Not sure if they make longer barrels for the 590's, but I don't think so. You could check Mossberg's website for further info.

As for what you can do with it, I'm still struggling with that one. Like you, mine is for HD/SD and training classes. I've mostly used it to blast away at cardboard, but yesterday, as an experiment I took it up to Thunder Mountain to try it out at the practice trap range. It worked really well for those short, close, floaters, even with the 18 1/2" barrel and no choke. But I don't think it would be useful for regular trap, where the clays get out there pretty quickly. I didn't get a chance to try it for skeet, but I'll get back to you when I do.

Good luck with yours!

They are fairly clean due to rhe pump action and no gasses recycling its easy

Extremely well written and perfectly succinct ... Because of those two "features" the pump shotgun design is extremely 'clean' in its action and if you like the term 'self-cleaning' at all, the pump-action is 'self-cleaning' somewhat because it induces the dirty gunkyjunky into the area that the next boooom will expel it , lather-rinse-repeat.

Obviously this is not the be-all-end-all but it's much much better than some semi-auto-shotguns ( a mid 80s ? or so 1100 classic we used for skeet shooting etc. one day with me and my buddy, a few couple hundred rounds of bird shot made that puppy DIS GUS TING bro. Like, almost to the point you'd just pay someone to clean it because it was so bad. [ fortunately i enjoy cleaning fireamrs so no problems.]

As an added note, the A1s have a heavy barrel too. The barrel wall is thicker than the 500s and 590s. My A1 barrel was reamed and threaded to accept chokes. Currently a Carlson modified choke is sitting in it. Busting clay pigeons was not an issue for me. I plan to use mine for some 3G fun so I figured having a stronger barrel was going to be a plus if I start banging it against things or dumping it in barrels. Come out to the next shotgun meet and test it out. Plenty of nice members to help you out.

WARNING! Bring lotsa ammo.

As an added note, the A1s have a heavy barrel too. The barrel wall is thicker than the 500s and 590s. My A1 barrel was reamed and threaded to accept chokes. Currently a Carlson modified choke is sitting in it. Busting clay pigeons was not an issue for me. I plan to use mine for some 3G fun so I figured having a stronger barrel was going to be a plus if I start banging it against things or dumping it in barrels. Come out to the next shotgun meet and test it out. Plenty of nice members to help you out.

WARNING! Bring lotsa ammo.

How much did that run you to thread it?

I wanted to make this last one but I work most weekends

How much did that run you to thread it?

I wanted to make this last one but I work most weekends

Sorry, just saw this. I don't know how much it cost as I picked up mine used. The previous owner already did it. It was what I was going to do anyway if I bought it w/o. I checked around and only stumbled on one place that was asking $160 for the mod. Sounded a bit pricey. Buying the tools and doing it yourself costs twice as much so still a better deal to have a smith with a lathe to do it correctly.

I love my 590A1. I switched out the butt stock for an adjustable, pistol grip with a recoil reducing spring inside. I had to put the original stock back on. For some reason I was having trouble sighting down the gun and getting thumped by the position and action of the stock. I kept getting whacked in the cheek/eye. I've been shooting shotguns my whole life and I couldn't find a comfortable position. I had read others had complained about the same stock before I bought it, but I thought it was them. Now the stock is added to my accessories at the bottom of the gun cab.

ps...i like to use the Federal/Remington low recoil 00 tactical rounds. they are fantastic! the group they hold is impressive, i did't believe until i started shooting them at the range.