silverado427

I have a WTF question

I work in insurance, as it was said, once the tree falls on your prop its your responsability. If a neighbors tree is dead/hanging over your prop you NEED to let them know via letter, then if they fail to take care of it and it falls and costs you money to either fix what was damaged or just to remove it, then you have a potential liability claim since you asked them to remove it and they failed. Small claims court. Otherwise its on the person that owns the prop the tree landed on, even if that means a fense or home was damaged.

Really, I would have thought it was the owner of the tree who has responsibility. I have a very inconsiderate neighbor and he has two dead trees. Too cheap to deal with them but not cheap enough to buy 50 cars. Hence my opinion above. Any other neighbor I wouldn't care.

I need to check with my agent about this.

You can contact your town zoning officer if there is a neighbor with dead trees that can potentially hurt someone or damage your property if they fall. My town will fine you if you don't remove potentially dangerous trees. It is up to the property owner to keep his property safe. All towns may not be the same, but this is how my town acts.

Very un-cool to drop a tree from his property onto yours without asking permission. Some people work hard and pay a lot of $$ to keep a nice lawn, dropping a tree on it can kill / dig up / leave dents on the lawn. I'm sure if you have damages, technically you could bring him to small claims court over the $$ for repairs. But you have to live next to the guy.... having bad neighbors gets old really quick.

Best bet is to have a respectfully assertive conversation with your neighbor explaining how you feel over the situation. If he's man enough , he will offer to fix it or compensate you for the damages. If he is not, it is up to you to ask. Worst he can say is "no".

I second that. That is your best bet. You definitely do not want to be warring with your neighbors, or anyone that you have to see everyday for that matter.

Wow, I'm glad I have a good relations with all my neighbors. Even if someone who I have to live next to does something stupid, crap can be fixed, cleaned up, or whatever, but going off on someone for something like this, not cool man. Sometimes we have to look at the bigger picture.