johnp

Any Classic Car experts? 40s Chevy

I was drunk ebaying last night and stumbled upon this beautiful 1940 Chevy Sedan 4dr.

I really really like this car. Problem is I don't know jack about these old cars mechanically. I'm a Harley guy, not a car guy.

Is it the correct motor, bumpers, etc.? Is that a fair asking price? How come no one has bid on it?

So, if anyone on here knows anything about these and has any advice I would greatly appreciate it.

1940 Chevy

I would not pay that much for that car . If you like it that much , drive it before bidding . Cars location is close enough . I have a 36 Chevy 5 window coupe that I made into a street rod . Shopping drunk is like going to the food store hungry , look around a bit --- lots of better deals ! Cars engine and body , interior look to be correct .

I would not call myself an expert but I think it looks mostly correct based on others I have seen and fairly intact. It looks like a decent car to do a beautiful restoration on. As for price, I have no idea what its worth. I suppose you can consider it like a firearm, its worth whatever someone will pay for it.

Ken

Not an expert, but from my own experience, I can offer some advice.

First, do your homework and do not buy something sight unseen. Bring a mechanic with you if possible, but I can spare you the suspense and tell you that everything is broken and will need to be replaced. I guarantee a CT car painted 20 years ago is not "solid" and will have a lot of rust. Initial costs - figure a rebuilt engine and overhaul or replacement of the fuel system, cooling system, front and rear suspension, brakes as well as anything rubber on the car (hoses, gaskets, window seals, etc.) and the entire electrical system and probably the instruments. Once that's done and you've sunk $15,000 into making it safe to drive, you're not going to want to drive around in a ratty old car that looks like crap, so figure add in another $15,000 to $25,000 in bodywork and paint. Or be smart and just have it restored right off the bat to avoid the madness of having to replace everything one system at a time.

Driving old Chevy's is not fun. There is no power anything, the brakes and suspension are awful, handling is pathetic at best and terrifying in the rain. Plus they're noisy, smelly, hot in the summer and cold in the winter. The other side is, owning a classic car is a labor of love; people wave to you and honk their horns when you're driving down the road. It's a lot of fun, and feels good to work on and preserve a part of history.

If you've had a poster of this car on you're wall since you were a kid and it's the only one you've ever wanted, and you're ready and prepared financially to spend a lot of time money, go for it! But if you're just looking for a casual driver, get one that's already been restored.