I got a letter from the NRA that this is my final notice to receive a gift (range bag) for joining. I'd like to join but I don't see any real benefit being that I live in NJ, and I am on the fence as to whether or not I should join. I never really hear about them doing anything with NJ so the idea of becoming a member with them seems a bit redundant. Anyone else a member that lives in NJ can you please tell me, is it worth becoming a member in NJ? Thanks in advance!

For the 1,000,000,000th time, for the love of god.....

It's not that the NRA doesn't do anything about NJ

there isn't anything the NRA can really do for NJ.

The NRA is a lobby group. What they can do is motivate people to contact their representatives, donate to beneficial campaigns, and write letters to representatives.

The NRA cannot wave their magic wand and make NJ become pro gun. The state establishment, police unions, politicians, are all heavily anti gun and there isn't going to be any "changing their minds" on the issue. Republican or democrat.

The only hope for a state like NJ, realistically, is through civil disobedience. Until some guy gets busted coming back from the range, or shoots an intruder in self defense, etc. and it goes to court and is won through appeals, jury nullification, or an act of civil disobedience. No one wants to be the guinea pig, of course. However, it doesn't help that anytime someone is busted under one of these laws and they aren't St. Peter, no one wants to help them out.

You are liable to hear from lots of "haters, but by and large, those people don't understand the mission of the NRA. They are a national organization and they are our (the gun community) voice in Congress - and a powerful one at that. There are state organizations that you can join that are also active in NJ specific issues. Without the NRA, it is doubtful that there would be a need for state organizations because our 2A rights would have gone away a long time ago. Supoort who you want, but don't eschew NRA mambership because you don't see them active in state issues - that is not their bailiwick.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

I'm not saying that I expect them to "wave a magic wand". Are they're "perks" worthwhile as well, The insurance they offer and I think i heard they offer legal or lawyer services if I heard correctly. Thank you for your 1,000,000,000th reply even though you have 30 posts,

To me, the magazine alone is worth the price of annual membership and a real bargain if you opt for a life membership during one of their special promotions. Also, although the free firearms insurance is limited, they do make good on claims. I had the unfortunate need to find that out.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

You are liable to hear from lots of "haters, but by and large, those people don't understand the mission of the NRA. They are a national organization and they are our (the gun community) voice in Congress - and a powerful one at that. There are state organizations that you can join that are also active in NJ specific issues. Without the NRA, it is doubtful that there would be a need for state organizations because our 2A rights would have gone away a long time ago. Supoort who you want, but don't eschew NRA mambership because you don't see them active in state issues - that is not their bailiwick.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

I have to agree with Bob here. I also give you props for using "bailiwick in a sentence. :)

I'm a member of NJ2AS, SAF and the NRA.

Yes, it's frustrating. It seems like the NRA purely exists to sell wine sometimes.

But they push for national legislation that could... one day filter down to the states.