Sign in to follow this  
NJdiverTony

Is it just me having a crappy deer season???

Are you guys having any luck this season? For some reason, I think I'm cursed this season... I haven't seen much deer at all. I guess it doesn't help that I'm hunting pretty crappy public land that gets a lot of hunter pressure. I wish I had access to some private land.

I did kick up a pretty decent buck this past Monday (opening day of 6-day), but it was late in the day and I had been walking the whole day and was exhausted... I had no idea he was there hiding in a small thicket in front of me and he darted off like lightning... I never even got a chance to bring up my gun and aim at him... he was gone. Aside from that, nothing else... I usually hear a lot of gun shots from the surrounding area here where I live in Hunterdon County, during 6-day firearm week every year... but this year, I haven't heard much at all. I'm wondering if others are experiencing the same thing as me too?

Even bow season this year has been so dissapointing as hell for me. I've spent so many hours in my tree stand and all I've seen is a few small young deer that I woudln't even bother taking a shot at. I'm at the point that I've been out hunting so much this year and have not had any luck at all, and I'm ready to just give up and maybe look forward to next season... I feel disgusted and disappointed!

As others have noted on another forum, the mystique of "6-day firearm" is no more. With all the early seasons, special permit, bow, EAB, muzzleloader, etc. smorgasbord; folks are out tromping the woods as early as September. There are now close to five months worth of "deer season" with all types of weapons in New Jersey. You would think with the mild weather this week, hunters would be out in droves. Not so. Once it was bitter cold, snow or rain that kept hunters indoors. There were still a couple thousand unclaimed bear permits left over this week.

So, what's the answer? trade in your slug gun for a crossbow and start hunting in September?

That doesn't help either... I was out quite a few times in the early part of the season and didn't see much at all... The deer go nocturnal during the warmer months and just bed down during the day it seems. I saw some deer movement during the rut, but still not what it should be and 90% of them weren't even worth shooting anyway. Another odd thing... I didn't see a single doe while hunting... What I mostly saw were small spikes and button bucks... but not a single doe. I'm wondering if the warmer weather we've had is just screwing things up... or if it's just lots of hunter pressure on the public land I hunt combined with teh long hunting seasons? I have no idea... but it sucks big F'ing donkey balls... I spent so many hours in my stand this season with nothing to show for it and I'm just disgusted at this point. Yeah, it was nice to just be outdoors and enjoy nature too... but damn... I wanted to to get at least one friggin deer this year. It seems like if you don't have access to some decent private land, then you're pretty much screwed in NJ.

As others have noted on another forum, the mystique of "6-day firearm" is no more. With all the early seasons, special permit, bow, EAB, muzzleloader, etc. smorgasbord; folks are out tromping the woods as early as September. There are now close to five months worth of "deer season" with all types of weapons in New Jersey. You would think with the mild weather this week, hunters would be out in droves. Not so. Once it was bitter cold, snow or rain that kept hunters indoors. There were still a couple thousand unclaimed bear permits left over this week.

I agree... I really didn't see the number of hunters out for 6 day this year, as I've seen in previous years... and neither did I hear a lot of gun shots from all around the area where I live and hunt during 6 day, like I've heard in previous years. I remember previous years where it sounded like fireworks going off all week... I only heard a handful of shots this whole week.

So, what's the answer? trade in your slug gun for a crossbow and start hunting in September?

I have heard the same thing from others about the lack of shooting, along with seeing fewer hunters.

A lot of people who pattern big deer try to get out before the gunners do with their bows so they have first crack. But often the deer don't cooperate.

The other option during 6-day is hunt smarter. The warm weather will make deer lounge about and they don't move much unless pushed, so you may need to change tactics, especially on public land. Use other hunters that are moving to your advantage. I'll bet half the hunters in the woods come off stand around noon for lunch. Guess what they push ahead of them as they leave the woods? Or go hunt in thick, inaccessible areas where deer will bed. Hunt with a buddy and do silent pushes through thick covers like this, using the wind to your advantage and the wind from the driver as his disadvantage. And the pusher doesn't walk. He still-hunts through the cover, at a very slow pace. Notice how deer have a way of living in the tiniest of fringe covers around all the homes in your suburban neighborhood? And there are always small funnels where they feel safe moving though as escape routes to get to bigger expanses of land. You need to find some of those same pockets/havens where they lounge and funnels for escape in public woods. They exist, it just takes time and experience to find them.

The other option during 6-day is hunt smarter. The warm weather will make deer lounge about and they don't move much unless pushed, so you may need to change tactics, especially on public land. Use other hunters that are moving to your advantage. I'll bet half the hunters in the woods come off stand around noon for lunch. Guess what they push ahead of them as they leave the woods? Or go hunt in thick, inaccessible areas where deer will bed. Hunt with a buddy and do silent pushes through thick covers like this, using the wind to your advantage and the wind from the driver as his disadvantage. And the pusher doesn't walk. He still-hunts through the cover, at a very slow pace. Notice how deer have a way of living in the tiniest of fringe covers around all the homes in your suburban neighborhood? And there are always small funnels where they feel safe moving though as escape routes to get to bigger expanses of land. You need to find some of those same pockets/havens where they lounge and funnels for escape in public woods. They exist, it just takes time and experience to find them.

THIS^

Do a few silent pushes throught the thick stuff when its warm and you will see deer. Just make sure to stop walking every once in a while cause thats what scares the deer. If you just tromp through they will know where you are. They will just bed down and let you walk right past.