Sign in to follow this  
olimits7

Firearms License Info - Go To Any Town PD?

Hi,

I went to the NJ state police website and filled out the following application forms:

STS-033 - Application for Firearms Purchaser Identification Card/ Application to Purchase a Handgun

SP-066 - Consent For Mental Health Records Search (SP-66)

I recently moved to a new town, and changed my driver's license address to my new address. However, my parent's still live in the house I grew up in and I still receive mail there.

I called my new town's police department and left a message with the detective that handles all firearms applications the beginning of this week. I haven't heard back from him yet so this morning I just stopped by the police department to drop off the application forms and they said I couldn't drop them off and I have to wait until he calls me back and sets up an appointment for when I can come in...so this is becoming a big ordeal to just drop off the application forms.

I then went to my old town's police department today and I just have to drop off the application forms with the records bureau, which is a lot easier; however, when she saw my address change on the back of my driver's license she said she couldn't take my application and I had to go through my new town's police department.

So my question is; is she right in saying that I have to go back to my new town's police department where my driver's license address now lists?

Thank you!

Ok, thank you...

I just don't understand why I can't just submit my forms through my old town's PD if the forms have to be processed by NJ state police.

For example, lets say I got my license in my old town before I changed my address on my driver's license and received my firearms license. Then lets say I moved to a new town; would I have to submit any forms to the PD telling them that I moved and that I have a firearm?

If I don't have to tell them anything, then it makes no sense to me why my old town won't take my application if the resident address doesn't seem to matter.

Thank you!

WRONG. The FPID is issued by the CLEO of the town YOU LIVE IN. It is NOT issued by the NJSP. UNLESS your town has no PD and relies on NJSP for policing. Your DL and FPID addresses must match to do transfers at an NJ FFL ( and F2F I think). Go to---meaning physically go to the police HQ whatever town PD your permanent address is in ang get the forms there.

Hi,

Ok, thank you...I guess then I have to deal with my new town's PD which seem like a pain to go through!

Just curious; let's say I had my FPID already and my DL matching my permanent address then I move to a new town and change my DL to my new permanent address, what would need to be done to change my FPID to my new permanent address?

Also, with my FPID can I also purchase rifles/shotguns as well as handguns?

Thanks again!

who cares as long as the appointments are promptly made.

just go in & have a nice chat with your fellow police.

smile. be polite. don't go blabbing off like crazy.

they just want to see your face & feel you out.

is it legal? who cares & keep smiling.

On the STS-033 FPID application; I see that I can check off "Application to Purchase a Handgun - Quantity of Permits:" so it looks like I can purchase hanguns if I check this off as well as shotguns/rifles.

Well I'll keep this forum updated to see how long it takes this detective to call me back so I can finally set up my appointment with them...

Just curious; let's say I had my FPID already and my DL matching my permanent address then I move to a new town and change my DL to my new permanent address, what would need to be done to change my FPID to my new permanent address?

The same process as if you were applying for the first time:

STS-033 Application Form - check the "Address Change" block at the top of the form

SP-o66 Mental Health record search consent form

And the only place you may catch a break - an SP-212A - non-criminal background check ($18 to NJSP/SBI) in leiu of fingerprints. That would be at the discretion of the CLEO of your new municipality - he can rerquire you to be fingerprinted again (Sagem Morpho - appx $50).

That should be it - anything that adds form or content to the process beyond those, is actually illegal. They are required to conduct a background investigation and some PD's go overboard and violate - some just skirt the line. Keep us appraised of what your new PD is requiring.

Good luck.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

On the STS-033 FPID application; I see that I can check off "Application to Purchase a Handgun - Quantity of Permits:" so it looks like I can purchase hanguns if I check this off as well as shotguns/rifles.

Well I'll keep this forum updated to see how long it takes this detective to call me back so I can finally set up my appointment with them...

Again - you have to go through the same process to obtain a "Permit to Purchase a Handgun" (P2P). You can apply for as many P2P's as you wish, but they have a maximum shelf life of 180 days (that includes a discretionary extension) and you can only use one every 30 days, unless you apply for an exemption.

Adios,

PIzza Bob

Oh ok, thank you! I was going to put down applying for 3 handgun permits just to have them on hand, but if they expire in 180 days then I guess it doesn't make sense...I don't see myself buying a 2nd handgun any time soon.

So I need to submit 2 FPID forms; 1 for handguns with "application to purchase a handgun" checked off and another form without this checked off for long guns? I thought just by submitting 1 FPID form with "application to purchase handgun" I would be able to buy both handguns and long guns, or is this not the case?

Thanks!

Oh ok, thank you! I was going to put down applying for 3 handgun permits just to have them on hand, but if they expire in 180 days then I guess it doesn't make sense...I don't see myself buying a 2nd handgun any time soon.

So I need to submit 2 FPID forms; 1 for handguns with "application to purchase a handgun" checked off and another form without this checked off for long guns? I thought just by submitting 1 FPID form with "application to purchase handgun" I would be able to buy both handguns and long guns, or is this not the case?

Thanks!

You can apply for both the FPID and the P2P's concurrently with the same set of forms. The FPID is good for as long as you remain at that address. In the future, when you may desire to purchase another handgun, you will have to go through the whole process again - checking only the box for P2P's at the top of the form.

Adios,

PIzza Bob

olimits7 posted:

"Oh ok, thank you! I was going to put down applying for 3 handgun permits just to have them on hand, but if they expire in 180 days then I guess it doesn't make sense...I don't see myself buying a 2nd handgun any time soon."

What are you? Some kinda COMMIE???

LOL.