Candide

Ar Opinions Needed

I'm putting together a rifle. My lower is complete and so is my stock. Need an opinion when it comes to uppers. I'm going with a flat top and will be mounting some sort of red dot on it eotech or aimpoint.

Should I get one that has a front sight gas block or get one that just has a small rail section where the gas block is? I'd want back up iron sights so would the block with the front sight be the way to go or is it better to go with the railed gas block and put a flip up on there? My handguard will be the moe for a clean look. I dont want rails all over the gun or a railed handguard.

Is it easy to change out a gas block?

For what its worth this is going to be a 100 200 yd rifle.

How do I make sure I can ?

Depends what optic it is. Eotechs need a certain riser I believe (never had one). The aim points and knockoffs can be put in a particular mount that will give cowitness

ETA. Im talking about lower 1/3 cowitness btw. Eotechs are set up for absolute cowitness I think.

You realize that if you use the MOE that you will not have a free-floated barrel, right? Could make a difference.

Have you considered a PRI carbon fiber handguard or something like that? With something like that you can just put rail sections where you need them. If you choose one of the longer models, the front sight/gas block can be replaced with a lo-pro gas block or a cut down front sight. Then you just need a flip-up front like the Troy or Magpul.

Makes for a light rifle that's free floated.

Depends what optic it is. Eotechs need a certain riser I believe (never had one). The aim points and knockoffs can be put in a particular mount that will give cowitness

ETA. Im talking about lower 1/3 cowitness btw. Eotechs are set up for absolute cowitness I think.

XPS 2 & 3 = cowitness

EXPS 2 & 3 = 7mm higher

I'm putting together a rifle. My lower is complete and so is my stock. Need an opinion when it comes to uppers. I'm going with a flat top and will be mounting some sort of red dot on it eotech or aimpoint.

Should I get one that has a front sight gas block or get one that just has a small rail section where the gas block is? I'd want back up iron sights so would the block with the front sight be the way to go or is it better to go with the railed gas block and put a flip up on there? My handguard will be the moe for a clean look. I dont want rails all over the gun or a railed handguard.

Is it easy to change out a gas block?

For what its worth this is going to be a 100 200 yd rifle.

Looks like you want to keep it simple. Flat top upper with FSB, BUIS, and your MOE hand guard. Aimpoint or Eotech allow for 2 eyes open so when looking through sight, depth of field will make the FSB just about disappear.

Edit: Just noticed the last sentence and 200 yards is quite a bit of distance for a red dot designed for CQB.

Looks like you want to keep it simple. Flat top upper with FSB, BUIS, and your MOE hand guard. Aimpoint or Eotech allow for 2 eyes open so when looking through sight, depth of field will make the FSB just about disappear. Edit: Just noticed the last sentence and 200 yards is quite a bit of distance for a red dot designed for CQB.

I shoot steel at 300 yards with a 14in AR... Aimpoint and a magnifier..

200 is nothing..