deleteme

Which HD shotgun is recommended?

I was taught that combat loading always started with an empty shotgun.......slide back....wrap your hand and drop one in the chamber..slide forward then install the other 8 rounds. The idea was to have one in the chamber and ready to shot while reloading. Cruiser ready with police is always empty chamber. Too many Crown Vic's with holes in the sides :)

I was taught that combat loading always started with an empty shotgun.......slide back....wrap your hand and drop one in the chamber..slide forward then install the other 8 rounds. The idea was to have one in the chamber and ready to shot while reloading. Cruiser ready with police is always empty chamber. Too many Crown Vic's with holes in the sides :)
actually holes in the roof. Muzzle faces up between the front seats in the rack. Lol. We train on combat loading. Fire till empty, leave action open, grabout round off sidesaddle and load chamber, close action and shoot

Timely thread, i am also shopping for a HD shotgun and have decided on the 870. I can get an Express for just under $400, but have handled an 870 Tactical Magpul at a gun show recently and really liked it and prefer it over the express. I can find that one for about $700. Not sure if it is worth the cost of the upgrades, or if it is a dressed up express that i could convert to for less than the $300 upgrade. Anyone know the details between the models enough to know if the magpul at $700 is a good deal?

Timely thread, i am also shopping for a HD shotgun and have decided on the 870. I can get an Express for just under $400, but have handled an 870 Tactical Magpul at a gun show recently and really liked it and prefer it over the express. I can find that one for about $700. Not sure if it is worth the cost of the upgrades, or if it is a dressed up express that i could convert to for less than the $300 upgrade. Anyone know the details between the models enough to know if the magpul at $700 is a good deal?

Look at the Remington 870 Police. It has all the quality fit of a Wingmaster (i.e. doesn't have all the rough edges like the Rem Express and Mossberg that make their actions sludgy), but with a parkerized finish. Heavy duty with a nice wood stock/forend and rubber recoil pad. No MIM parts, unlike all the Express guns. Good extractor, smoother action. They go for $600. Only thing I ever added to it was the Remington +2 mag tube extension.

The two depts I interned with inthe past both had an AR or shotgun in their cruisers loaded and one in chamber. One dept had 500's and the other Winchester 1300's. Just thought I'd throw a wrench in here.

Remington or Mossberg you can't go wrong. I prefer Mossberg but thats just me.

Thanks lunker..i always thought I was the only Ithaca guy on here.. :)

I'm a big fan of Ithacas as well. I'd still go with a used Mossberg 500, and preferably look for the versatile Security/Field Combo that comes with two barrels... a defensive barrel and a 28" barrel to be used for hunting, etc. However, if I was in the market for a shotgun and found a good priced Remington, I would be equally happy with that one.

Check out the Mossberg TR500 Thunder Ranch.