deleteme

Which HD shotgun is recommended?

Hey, I'm a rifle/pistol guy and I'm ready to step into the world of shotguns! The only problem is I don't know Ass from elbows about them.

I'm looking to buy a 12 gauge pump action, and apparently the Remington 870 or mossberg 500 (or 590) seem to be most popular.

I'm not by any means a zombie/shtf guy so tacticool doesn't matter. I actually like wood but that doesn't matter to me, I'd go with anything.

The Remington has a bunch of models, express, wing master, etc.

What do you guys recommend? I don't hunt so I don't care about that aspect. I will like to put lots of holes in paper (slugs as well as shot)

Give me a solid recommendation please! What is the most 'popular'?

Sent from my Nexus 7

Most popular is gonna be a pump shotgun, 12ga.

Most popular model, that can be argued. Remington makes the 870 and is a great shotgun, and Mossberg makes the model 500 and 590. Both manufacturers make very nice shotguns. I would check out the models and prices both companies make and go from there. Also they are very similar but the main differences between the two is the safety's and the action release.

IMHO, the Army seems to like the Mossberg. The Police seem to like Remington 870's.

The advantage to the Mossberg is that the safety is on the top of the gun, which is good for lefties, and the gun doesn't have that loading gate - you just drop the round in and push it up.

Some would say that the loading gate is an advantage on the Remington 870 since it keeps the loading port free from debris.

Both are good, but the Mossberg is a little cheaper.

The Remington has a bunch of models, express, wing master, etc.

The Wingmaster is the premium version. It is put together more nicely, will have nice bluing, won't have rough machining edges. The Express is the Remington version of the Mossberg. If you want something to pass to your children, get a Remington Wingmaster. If you want something to knock around, get an Express. Personally, I would look at Gunstore used racks and get an older Remington Wingmaster for the price of a new express. Shotguns, much more so than rifles and handguns, are nearly impossible to "shoot out". Used ones in great condition are easy to find for cheap. Personally, my favorite pump action guns are the Ithaca Model 37 and the Winchester 1200/1300 series guns. Smoothest action of any shotguns out there.

I bought my first couple of shotguns for HD, a Mossberg 500 Persuader with 7+1 capacity and a 20" barrel; and a 590 A1 with an 18.5" barrel. At first, I was just content to go out and blast holes in paper with them.

At some point, I thought it might be fun to try shooting some clays. So I headed up to Thunder Mountain, where they lend you guns to use at no additional charge if you purchase ammo from them. Turns out, busting clays is a lot more fun than I ever could have imagined!

With that in mind, you might consider one of the field/HD combos tha comes with interchangeable barrels. I'm not a big fan of wood stocks on SG's, but since you indicated a possible preference for them, you might also like to know that the combos have wood stocks.

I'm new to the shotgun game but all I've heard from people since I got my 590a1 is how they want one. That's gotta assume the things I've heard or read (all super positive) is on point.

You hit the nail on the head, I'm now officially hunting for a 590a1! If anyone has any leads on where to find one I'd really appreciate it!

Most popular is gonna be a pump shotgun, 12ga.

Most popular model, that can be argued. Remington makes the 870 and is a great shotgun, and Mossberg makes the model 500 and 590. Both manufacturers make very nice shotguns. I would check out the models and prices both companies make and go from there. Also they are very similar but the main differences between the two is the safety's and the action release.

in a nutshell

If you want to be different..try an Ithaca 37...smooth as glass action..bottom eject..cant accesorize like the mossy and remy but who cares..all i need it to do is rack , aim n shoot..NYPD used em for 20 years..love mine..looking at the new generation defense models

If you want to be different..try an Ithaca 37...smooth as glass action..bottom eject..cant accesorize like the mossy and remy but who cares..all i need it to do is rack , aim n shoot..NYPD used em for 20 years..love mine..looking at the new generation defense models

+1. Ithaca is the best action out there. Straightest/truest barrel because of threaded lockup. The bottom eject is great because it's truly ambidextrous. They are about the most solid gun out there.

Winchester comes in 2nd place for nice action.

+1. Ithaca is the best action out there. Straightest/truest barrel because of threaded lockup. The bottom eject is great because it's truly ambidextrous. They are about the most solid gun out there.

Winchester comes in 2nd place for nice action.

Thanks lunker..i always thought I was the only Ithaca guy on here..:)

I have two, one in 12 and one in 20. They are so nice and usually $300 or less. How do you say no? There is NO comparison in quality between them and a modern day REM Express or Mossy.

Agreed..picked up my 37 featherlight for $250.. Now working on a newer defense model

I have two, one in 12 and one in 20. They are so nice and usually $300 or less. How do you say no? There is NO comparison in quality between them and a modern day REM Express or Mossy.

I agree with you. Ithaca 37's are great shotguns (a J.M. Browning design) and super-smooth. Glad they are still making them. The Browning BPS with its top-tang safety and bottom ejection is also a good shotgun that you don't see often enough. Another "great" classic is the old Win. Model 12. (Would be too cost-prohibitive to produce today, but another fine shotgun that is designed to last. Another J.M. Browning design.) Borne before the age of stampings, plastic stocks, "vibra honing" and MIM parts. Some fit the mold of HD, some may not, depending on your criteria. However, both the M37 and M12 saw military and police service in their day.

You hit the nail on the head, I'm now officially hunting for a 590a1! If anyone has any leads on where to find one I'd really appreciate it!

When operating the Mossbergs and doing combat reloads when you have the tube full and you need to switch to slugs that you have to give up two shells to do the switchover versus one for the 870. I am not sure if that is true of all Mossbergs.

When operating the Mossbergs and doing combat reloads when you have the tube full and you need to switch to slugs that you have to give up two shells to do the switchover versus one for the 870. I am not sure if that is true of all Mossbergs.

what did you say? what are you talking about?

Same one I have. Great gun. Did you leave it stock or mod it in any way?

It is stock for now. Have suggestions?

Santa may be bringing me:

Oversized Safety button for the Remington 870 - http://www.brownells.com/shotgun-parts/receiver-action-parts/safety-parts/safeties/tactical-response-jumbo-head-safety-prod12518.aspx?avad=avant

Tactical Shotgun Follower for Remington 870 - http://www.brownells.com/magazines/shotgun-magazines/magazine-parts/magazine-followers/shotgun-followers-prod20384.aspx?avad=avant

Non MIM Extractor for Remington 870 - http://www.brownells.com/shotgun-parts/extractor-parts/extractors/extractor-prod10745.aspx?avad=avant

Extension Tube Spring for Remington 870 - http://www.brownells.com/magazines/shotgun-magazines/magazine-parts/magazine-springs-amp-parts/extension-tube-springs-prod45423.aspx?avad=avant

Supercell Recoil Pad for Remington 870 - http://www.brownells.com/shotgun-parts/stock-forend-parts/recoil-parts/recoil-pads/rem-870-supercell-recoil-pad-synthetic-prod27058.aspx?avad=avant

TacStar Receiver Mount Side Saddle Shell Holder 6 shell - http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004H58JIE/ref=as_li_ss_til?tag=rem8comblogab-20&camp=213381&creative=390973&linkCode=as4&creativeASIN=B004H58JIE&adid=11RNVW0GKF09Z82PXNZW&&ref-refURL=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.rem870.com%2F2012%2F10%2F17%2F10-must-have-upgrades-for-your-remington-870-shotgun%2F

Shotgun Flashlight Mount Picitinny Rail for Remington 870 - http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004H5CMNW/ref=as_li_tf_til?tag=rem8comblogab-20&camp=14573&creative=327641&linkCode=as1&creativeASIN=B004H5CMNW&adid=0NBYEY11CH0DCFAQ3WQN&&ref-refURL=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.rem870.com%2F2012%2F10%2F17%2F10-must-have-upgrades-for-your-remington-870-shotgun%2F

Streamlight TLR-1s #69210 Weapon Mount Flashlight - http://www.opticsplanet.com/streamlight-tlr1-weapon-mounted-flashlight.html

Streamlight 69130 Battery Door/Remote Pressure Switch for Shotguns, Coiled Cord for TLR-2 - http://www.opticsplanet.com/streamlight-tlr-battery-door-switch-assembly.html

what did you say? what are you talking about?

When the Mossberg is in Cruiser Ready mode (one in the chamber) and the tube is full, you cannot pull just the shell from the chamber to replace with a slug. jWhen you pull back the pump to eject the unfired shell in the chamber, you also have to roll the shotgun over to dump the first shell from the tube and then load a slug in the chamber. With the 870 you can pull the pump back half way, push the shells up in the tube to reset, then pull the pump back the rest of the way to eject the unfired buckshot shell from the chamber and replace with a slug.

When the Mossberg is in Cruiser Ready mode (one in the chamber) and the tube is full, you cannot pull just the shell from the chamber to replace with a slug. You also have to roll the shotgun over to dump the first shell from the tube and then load a slug in the chamber. With the 870 you can pull the pump back half way, push the shells up in the tube to reset, then pull the pump back the rest of the way to eject the unfired buckshot shell from the chamber and replace with a slug.

Cruiser Ready mode is an empty chamber, and this argument is moot since we are talking HD and not street patrol.

Cruiser Ready mode is an empty chamber, and this argument is moot since we are talking HD and not street patrol.

Cruiser Safe mode is an empty chamber. Not arguing, just mentioning something I noticed in class that the guy with the Mossberg had to give up two rounds to switch to a slug. I only give up one.

Cruiser Safe mode is an empty chamber.

it's still moot, since we are talking about home defense. Your going to use the gun as is, with the rounds in the gun. If your trying to install a slug into the chamber and not use buckshot, either you should've used an AR/AK or your a drug dealer and the jig is up.