deleteme

Should i be worried about my coe?

Just filled out a coe for a shotgun purchase at ramsey's'in roxbury.

I checked off "yes" for "have you ever been convicted of a crime that hasnt been expunged or sealed?"

15 years ago i pled guilty to throwing eggs at a car.

2 months ago i received a change of address for my fid and a pistol permit as well, bought my handgun with no difficulties.

Is this something i should be woried about? The counter man kind of got huffy about it. I know its on my record because when i applied for my pistol permit the detective called me and asked about it, and said it was ok and issued my permit

The other guy at the counter told him he was wrong and to put it through

I checked "yes" because i figured it is better to be honest and not lie.

Btw it was not a felony, i was stupid when i turned 18. Nothing since then (im 33)

Thanks everyone

COEs don't get filed to any gov't agency, the store keeps them.

If you local leo knew about it and approved you permit, and nics approved you, what do you have to worry about?

If I were in your shoes, my first order of business would be to hire a lawyer and get that record expunged. Even if the lawyer cost two Grand, having a clean criminal record for background checks And I don't I mean just for guns, I mean for background checks for future employment.

COEs don't get filed to any gov't agency, the store keeps them.

If you local leo knew about it and approved you permit, and nics approved you, what do you have to worry about?

The fact that the counterman pointed to my checkmark and said "you checked yes, i cannot sell you this firearm" very matter of factly. His partner then said it was fine, and he kept writing.

I dunno, with the way things are going these days, everything firearm related worries me

If I were in your shoes, my first order of business would be to hire a lawyer and get that record expunged. Even if the lawyer cost two Grand, having a clean criminal record for background checks And I don't I mean just for guns, I mean for background checks for future employment.

Do you know of any lawyers that do this service? Id definately look into this, i didnt realize i could do that on my own.

I think you misunderstand Crime and Disorderly persons offense. I don't know what you were charged with but: A crime is defined in NJ as an offense which carriers in excess of six months of potential incarceration. Offenses involving less than six months of incarceration are not considered crimes in New Jersey and are referred to as disorderly persons offenses. THe COE says at the bottom just below where you sign the form.

Questions 1 - 10 must be answered "no" for the transfer of the firearm to proceed. A person who answers "yes" to any question is not eligible to receive a firearm.

You may have to clear up your answers on the form. Remember I'm not a lawyer and my info may be totally wrong but you can google the "New Jersey Definition of a crime" and decide what it means.

In NJ, there are no felonies or misdemeanors.

Crimes = Felonies

Disorderly Persons = Misdemeanor

Egg throwing would almost certainly be a misdemeanor.

I have a misdemeanor on my record and it has is no way interfered with my FID or P2Ps.

If you have the gun, don't worry about it. In future, check no.

Good luck.

It gets totally erased and blocked our from any record. I went to the county and saw this for myself. IIRC you have to send 5 or 6 letters to different agencies with your information. They send you a couple page form that tells you how to do it. I think it took 3-4 months. Some crimes can be expunged, egg throwing is right up there with parking meter violations. ;) Good luck.

Update:

So on friday the state police called me advising that they need to do a complete record check to verify that my "crime" wasnt a "crime".

Today (monday) state police firearm department calls me back saying that im gtg, and never check anything but "no" again on a coe.

Now i wait for the nics check... Which they apparently already did to check my coe! lol

Update:

So on friday the state police called me advising that they need to do a complete record check to verify that my "crime" wasnt a "crime".

Today (monday) state police firearm department calls me back saying that im gtg, and never check anything but "no" again on a coe.

Now i wait for the nics check... Which they apparently already did to check my coe! lol

awesome man, congrats on no longer having to be treated like a criminal! lol nice to see the NJSP not red flagging you, even if it is something minor

This is why I like mom and pop shops. Any time I've dealt with Ramsey outdoor the old man in paramus knew his job well. Last time I was in the Ramsey location I got turned off and left still like the store just need to do my own homework before I go. Oddly enough my next stop was Davis and same thing but holy attitude don't know if ill ever go back there they got me steamed. Wound up driving to a small shop close to home and bam no problems. Dicks is another one that drives me crazy when it comes to firearms and ammo. Pay no mind to that nonsense paper. Your I'd card says it all.

Just for the record, a crime is defined as something outlined in the NJ 2C code. I believe that's what they're looking for. There's a couple steps to the process:

There is the charging which is the official charge you receive from the arresting officer. Then you can either take a plea deal, go to pre-trial intervention, and all that fun stuff. Plead guilty does NOT equal conviction. Conviction is what they finally convict you of. You can plead guilty to a lesser charge, you can plead guilty to the original charge but be convicted of another, and then in the end there's sentencing (if you get that far). I'm not a lawyer but there's also a ton of other crap that can go on as well.

Now if they ask you "Have you ever plead guilty to a crime?" That's different. BUT ONLY IF THE CHARGE WAS OUTLINED IN 2C CODE.

When I was 15 I was arrested for fishing in a resevoir. They charged me with Criminal (Defiant) Trespass. Since it was my first (and only) offense, they had me meet with a juvenile panel which then dismissed all charges. That was actually a 2C charge. Regular trespass (or whatever they call it) is not a 2C charge.

I myself can answer no to:

Have you ever been convicted of a crime?

Have you ever plead guilty to a crime?

I know this because I was (and am once again) trying to become a LEO.

This is just to help people out in the future. Obviously if the question is very specific like:

"Are you subject to any court order prohibiting you from purchasing/owning firearms"...thats cut and dry.

It gets totally erased and blocked our from any record. I went to the county and saw this for myself. IIRC you have to send 5 or 6 letters to different agencies with your information. They send you a couple page form that tells you how to do it. I think it took 3-4 months. Some crimes can be expunged, egg throwing is right up there with parking meter violations. ;) Good luck.

That's actually very much incorrect. I know for a fact that you will still have an arrest record and LE agencies have access to expunged/sealed records for the purposes of hiring eligibility. They *MAY* have access to those records for other purposes. I don't know. That one you'd have to contact a lawyer about.