iRescue

Mass shootings since 1982, by the numbers.

So we all know legislators are working around the clock to get new gun control measures that will "prevent future mass shootings like Newtown and Aurora"

Got me thinking....there's gotta be a way to show that mass shootings aren't as common as they are making it out to be. And in relation to other deaths in the US...its gotta be low.

Mother Jones recently posted a database of information surrounding mass shootings since 1982. http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2012/12/mass-shootings-mother-jones-full-data

(Not advocating that this is a good publication, just using their stats) Did some basic number crunching (more to come this afternoon after I leave work)

Since 1982, there were 138 fatalities where the gunman carried a legally obtained "assault rifle." (Dosen't say if the shooter even used it, but I'll go with it for now) Number goes to 208 if you count the illegally obtained ones. Total of 513 people were killed in mass shootings since 1982 with all firearms (pistol, rifle and shotgun) both legal and illegally obtained. This all according to that data sheet.

It's insane that lawmakers are trying with all their might to legislate against a type of firearm that killed 208 people in the last 30 years. While yes its tragic and horribly sad that those people died, there are far bigger things that lawmakers can go after that would save countless more lives. Hell - if we stopped just 1 PERCENT of the Preventable medical errors in hospitals a year(44,000 a year on the low end) we would save more lives that all those killed by mass shooters in the past 30 years!!!!!!!!

They need to concentrate on prosecuting the scumbags that commit illegal crimes with guns and keep them out of crazy bastards' hands. Leave the rest of us alone. The gangbangers are the ones that are running up the "homicide by firearm" numbers are not law-abiding gun owners.

</rant> I'll update with more of what I find later. Feel free to check out those numbers as well.

If only it were so straightforward. The arguments by anti-gunners are emotional, not rational. They will go after the heart strings, the argument "if it saves just one life...". Numbers mean nothing to them, except when they lie about them.

You'd hope politicians could see past the emotion of an issue, but being politicians they focus on the squeaky wheels because they perceive that as votes, won or lost.

I don't mean to be defeatist, in fact I think this whole brouhaha could backfire in the anti's faces due to over-reach as well as opening "average" American's eyes to the fact that their normal, pleasant, friendly neighbors happen to be gun owners. This could actually normalize gun ownership for many.

In the meantime, continue contacting your politicians. Be the squeakier wheel.

So we all know legislators are working around the clock to get new gun control measures that will "prevent future mass shootings like Newtown and Aurora"

Got me thinking....there's gotta be a way to show that mass shootings aren't as common as they are making it out to be. And in relation to other deaths in the US...its gotta be low.

Mother Jones recently posted a database of information surrounding mass shootings since 1982. http://www.motherjon...jones-full-data

(Not advocating that this is a good publication, just using their stats) Did some basic number crunching (more to come this afternoon after I leave work)

Since 1982, there were 138 fatalities where the gunman carried a legally obtained "assault rifle." (Dosen't say if the shooter even used it, but I'll go with it for now) Number goes to 208 if you count the illegally obtained ones. Total of 513 people were killed in mass shootings since 1982 with all firearms (pistol, rifle and shotgun) both legal and illegally obtained. This all according to that data sheet.

It's insane that lawmakers are trying with all their might to legislate against a type of firearm that killed 208 people in the last 30 years. While yes its tragic and horribly sad that those people died, there are far bigger things that lawmakers can go after that would save countless more lives. Hell - if we stopped just 1 PERCENT of the Preventable medical errors in hospitals a year(44,000 a year on the low end) we would save more lives that all those killed by mass shooters in the past 30 years!!!!!!!!

They need to concentrate on prosecuting the scumbags that commit illegal crimes with guns and keep them out of crazy bastards' hands. Leave the rest of us alone. The gangbangers are the ones that are running up the "homicide by firearm" numbers are not law-abiding gun owners.

</rant> I'll update with more of what I find later. Feel free to check out those numbers as well.

Nice post/research..Guess we new this intuitivly, but having the #s is great...It would be real good if you ;-), or one of the Gun Advacates would go on all the poular shows with this statistic ad show it next to the numbers for auto-accedents, hammers (see FBI study), and other such things...But as others have posted, it is an emotinal debate...And unfortunatly, most people decide with emotions not logic (heck, they re-elected Obama)...So, stuff the numbers in Pears Morgans mouth, but at the same time get very emotional about protecting the 2nd Amendment.

If only it were so straightforward. The arguments by anti-gunners are emotional, not rational. They will go after the heart strings, the argument "if it saves just one life...". Numbers mean nothing to them, except when they lie about them.

I guess my heart strings are broken. My freedom is worth more than a life. It cost many thousands of lives to establish and maintain thus far.

You'd hope politicians could see past the emotion of an issue, but being politicians they focus on the squeaky wheels because they perceive that as votes, won or lost.

I don't mean to be defeatist, in fact I think this whole brouhaha could backfire in the anti's faces due to over-reach as well as opening "average" American's eyes to the fact that their normal, pleasant, friendly neighbors happen to be gun owners. This could actually normalize gun ownership for many.

In the meantime, continue contacting your politicians. Be the squeakier wheel.

This

Don't play into their hands, this is not about the children or the numbers of lives lost. This is about control. The left (and the right to some extent for that matter) loves power. The power to tell you how much water your toilet should use, how much gas your car should use, how much carbon you can produce, how much insurance you should have, etc., etc. They are trying to control all aspects of people's lives and they are worried people are starting to figure it out. They have seized upon tragic events not to make things safer but to further their own agendas safely. Don't for one second think these people are dumb or naive, they are well educated and know history. When their guard is down they will tell you who their heroes are (Mao Tse-tung, Che Guevara, Vladimir Lenin and Karl Marx) and that should scare the living shit out of you enough to make you understand why they are so desperate to get you to peacefully surrender your arms.

When their guard is down they will tell you who their heroes are (Mao Tse-tung, Che Guevara, Vladimir Lenin and Karl Marx) and that should scare the living shit out of you enough to make you understand why they are so desperate to get you to peacefully surrender your arms.

ROFL

Man. Wow. That was funny. I'm a pretty huge liberal, just about everyone I associate with is one also. I've spent years on college campuses in NJ and Boston. Of all the most "smug liberal douche bags" I've ever met in my life, not a single one has ever said Mao or Guevara were their heroes. In fact, most liberal people I know call him "Cliche Guevara" and associate him with idiotic teens who don't know jack about the real Che.

I understand you may have some different political views and that's fine, but if you seriously think that those of us who want universal healthcare secretly idolize a Chinese mass murderer......you need to take a deep breath, look around, calm down a bit, and then learn a little bit about your "enemy" because, yeah, come on dude.

ROFL

Man. Wow. That was funny. I'm a pretty huge liberal, just about everyone I associate with is one also. I've spent years on college campuses in NJ and Boston. Of all the most "smug liberal douche bags" I've ever met in my life, not a single one has ever said Mao or Guevara were their heroes. In fact, most liberal people I know call him "Cliche Guevara" and associate him with idiotic teens who don't know jack about the real Che.

I understand you may have some different political views and that's fine, but if you seriously think that those of us who want universal healthcare secretly idolize a Chinese mass murderer......you need to take a deep breath, look around, calm down a bit, and then learn a little bit about your "enemy" because, yeah, come on dude.

Doing this from my iPad so it will be short, two quick examples off the top of my head.

http://grandoldpartisan.typepad.com/blog/2010/10/death-of-che-guevara.html

I don't have a dog in this fight but you have already moved the goal posts once GF. I'm fairly certain TK wasn't suggesting that all politicians heroes are people like Mao or Guevara, but obviously that does hold true for some. That is all besides the point though.

Amen to that, brother!

Mass shootings are kind of like airplane crashess. They are sensational and horrifying, but they are rare, statistical aberrations. And BTW, I don't hear anyone clamoring for us to ban airplanes.