Vlad G

Try scheduling a sit down meeting with your legislators

So this morning I called my 3 state legislator offices asking for a meeting with them to express my opinion on the proposed NJ gun laws. Turns out two of them share an office and staff. When I called them the staff at the shared office seemed shocked that a voter would like to meet with their elected official and seemed quite unpleasant about it. The other office staff seemed more polite.

In any case, all the calls resulted in me being asked to submit the request via email with my contact information and the bills I was opposing, so they can get back to me later. We'll see, I'm not holding my breath.

However YOU SHOULD ALL DO THE SAME. Lets swamp them with personal meeting requests. Let them know you want to sit in a chair, across from them, and to tell them hell no. Imagine if each of the got 100 requests for a sit down meeting.

Make some phone calls.

Who were the legislators?

When I contacted Assemblyman Greenwald and asked to meet two years ago his staff was very courteous and pleasant, even though they didn't agree with me.

BTW, if you want to know how to this, go to http://www.nraila.or...-your-reps.aspx find your local people. Once you find the list by putting in your address, then click on their name and then on the contact tab. Call their office, not the one in Trenton, the one in the area they represent. It works better if after you put in your zip, you then refine it by street address if you don't know your +4 zip code.

Then call them and ask "I would like to schedule a sit down meeting with Sen/Asm WhateverHisName. I would like to discuss with the Sen/Asm the recently proposed gun control legislation and express my opposition". They will tell you please send an email to this or that email address, and provide your contact information and the time you are available as well as the bills you oppose.

I wrote them this:

As per my recent phone call I would like to request a meeting with <INSERT NAME HERE> to express my opposition to a slew of new proposed anti-gun regulation. You can contact me at this email address or <cell> or <home>. I live in <hometown>, and I will make ANY time available to meet.

The list of proposed bills I am opposing is:

A-3645/S-2476 Requires ammunition sales and transfers be conducted as face-to-face transactions.

A-3646/S-2474 Establishes a regulatory system to govern the sale and transfer of ammunition.

A-3659 Revises definition of destructive device to include certain weapons of 50 caliber or greater.

A-3664 Reduces lawful maximum capacity of certain ammunition magazines in New Jersey.

A-3666/S-2465 Prohibits mail order, Internet, telephone, and any other anonymous method of ammunition sale or transfer in New Jersey.

A-3667 Requires mental health screening by licensed professional to purchase a firearm.

A-3668/S-2467 Prohibits investment by State of pension and annuity funds in companies manufacturing, importing, and selling assault firearms for civilian use.

A-3676 Requires psychological evaluation and in-home inspection as prerequisite to purchase firearm.

A-3687 Disqualifies person named on federal Terrorist Watchlist from obtaining firearms identification card or permit to purchase handgun.

A-3688 Requires mental health evaluation and list of household members with mental illness to purchase firearm.

A-3689 Requires security guards who carry weapons to wear certain uniform, including identification card.

A-3690/S-2430 Declares violence a public health crisis, recommends expansion of mental health programs, recommends federal adoption of gun control measures, and establishes “Study Commission on Violence.”

AJR-89 Urges President and US Senate to ratify Arms Trade Treaty proposed by United Nations.

AR-133 Expresses support for creation of task force on gun control led by Vice President Biden.

S-2464 Regulates sale and transfer of rifle and shotgun ammunition.

S-2475 Reduces maximum capacity of ammunition magazines to 10 rounds.

SR-92 Urges Congress to strengthen gun control laws.