Hello,

I have a NJ compliant LMT MRP CQB AR-15, which includes a Sopmod stock. The LOP is adjusted via a bolt that needs to be turned with a hex key. I'm wondering if it's legal to remove that bolt, and replace with a thumbscrew that will no longer require a tool to manipulate. The reason is because I am 6'4 and my fiance is 5'6, so naturally I would like to adjust it according to her height when she's at the range with me.

Thanks in advance.

Hello,

I have a NJ compliant LMT MRP CQB AR-15, which includes a Sopmod stock. The LOP is adjusted via a bolt that needs to be turned with a hex key. I'm wondering if it's legal to remove that bolt, and replace with a thumbscrew that will no longer require a tool to manipulate. The reason is because I am 6'4 and my fiance is 5'6, so naturally I would like to adjust it according to her height when she's at the range with me.

Thanks in advance.

if it is not "Permanently Fixed" it is non-compliant IMO

if it is not "Permanently Fixed" it is non-compliant IMO

Thanks for the reply. I was surprised to learn that it could be adjusted as well, but that was the condition in which I purchased it, being the NJ compliant model. I guess technically "permanently fixed" could mean then mean fixed to the lower? Lots of room for interpretation.

Thanks for the reply. I was surprised to learn that it could be adjusted as well, but that was the condition in which I purchased it, being the NJ compliant model. I guess technically "permanently fixed" could mean then mean fixed to the lower? Lots of room for interpretation.

You purchased this from an FFL? Or private seller?

there's the problem...in MY Opinion, if you have to unbolt something to adjust the stock, it SHOULD be fine..however, IM also not a prosecutor.

I am guessing that LMT considers this stock "fixed" by virtue of the fact that it needs a tool to effect adjustment. Not sure that a LEO or a prosecutor would agree, but that is just NJ juris prudence. While you are now in what could be construed as a "gray area", I am sure that replacing the allen-head bolt with a thumb screw, would definitely put you in the prohibited area.

I'd be a little worried. I'm sure that CMO was simply ordering on the basis of the manufacturer representing this as being NJ compliant, but a call to LMT may be in order to find out if they vetted this with any authority in NJ - and if so, I'd request that in writing from them. CYA.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

The text from the web site reads: "SOPMOD butt stock is permanently fixed in the fully-extended position". However the OP has said a common tool can be used to unfix it. If it were me, I'd want to see it fixed the way NJ magazines are said to be fixed, with permanent changes that common tools could not alter without destroying it. But hey I'm not brave that way. I do not trust much about NJ interpretation so I try to stay clear of the edges.

Thanks for all of the good advice. Ironically, it was fixed in the 2nd to last position. I unbolted it and moved it back 1 pre-tapped notch further back. As for the thumbscrew- I will take consensus opinion of avoiding that. The rifle does not have a muzzle brake on it, so I'm hoping that would keep someone from having the suspicion to investigate the little bolt on the stock.

To be honest, I just drive to the range and back with it. I don't usually get pulled for anything, and am presentable and curteous when I am. I also have PBA cards from a good friend who is a retired ex-chief of police of a major NJ city, who is a professor that writes chapters in policing textbooks, use-of-force expert, FBI consultant, etc. I understand siding with caution, but is this something I should really worry about?