mx597turbo

Taking Action in Essex County

@GD1147 & MX597TURBO...

I'm confused. I already have my FID card. This is just for two handgun permits. You don't have to get printed for each and every permit..

Did you have to get printed as part of the process for the 2 permits? I am only going by what they told me at my local PD and from what I have read about the laws. I believe you have to get printed for each application if you haven't had a check in the past 6 months per the forms.

@GD1147 & MX597TURBO...

I'm confused. I already have my FID card. This is just for two handgun permits. You don't have to get printed for each and every permit..

My understanding is that if you already have an FID, you don't need prints for a PP. I was told this by the clerk in the records room of my local PD, so each PD may follow their own set of rules.

My understanding is that if you already have an FID, you don't need prints for a PP. I was told this by the clerk in the records room of my local PD, so each PD may follow their own set of rules.

I think you are correct. I reread the paperwork and you just need a state background check (without the fingerprinting process) if you haven't applied in over 6 months as long as you already have your FID.

Fingerprinting is at the discretion of the CLEO. If they so desire, yes, they can require you to be fingerprinted for each and every application. There is nothing in the statute prohibiting it - it simply says that you must be printed for the initial application, after that it is up to the CLEO to either waive any printing or non-criminal background check, or require a non-criminal background check in leiu of printing (what most PD's do - form SP-212A, only available from your PD, and $18 to the NJSP/SBI).

There is nothing in the statute about being reprinted at set intervals - again, the CLEO pretty much has free reign.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Yea, that's why i was confused. I've had my FID card for a while now, and own several firearms. I just happened to apply for a couple pistol permits in September before the storm hit... no need for a new fingerprinting here...

Hopefully, this week will see applications finally getting processed. I would ask that anyone who is following this thread, please post when you get you FID and/or PP. Also, I think it's a good idea to keep calling the adjuster and checking their status. Just because they said they would start processing again this week, doesn't mean they will. We need to stay updated on this.

Wonder how long the backlog is...hope i don't have to wait weeks just for them to catch up to the late October apps. Tempted to call my PD's firearms guy and ask for an update but i don't want to be a pain, he was very nice throughout this whole ordeal and is probably overworked right now.

Lets keep each other posted, any news is good news!

Wonder how long the backlog is...hope i don't have to wait weeks just for them to catch up to the late October apps. Tempted to call my PD's firearms guy and ask for an update but i don't want to be a pain, he was very nice throughout this whole ordeal and is probably overworked right now.

Lets keep each other posted, any news is good news!

Was thinking the same thing. When I went to get my address changed my local PD said he had spoken with the adjuster and she had 4000 applications waiting, but the same day a poster on this forum said they spoke with her and she said 1000. Don't know who was giving the right number but that was back in early January.

I called the adjuster today at 973-621-4464. Spoke to a woman, she told me they are still not processing records. She also told me that an outside service has been contracted to do the checks and it was out of her hands. She said hopefully by next week everything should be up and running.

I am not a member fo the NRA. If any of you are, please let them know, maybe they can help.

I called the adjuster today at 973-621-4464. Spoke to a woman, she told me they are still not processing records. She also told me that an outside service has been contracted to do the checks and it was out of her hands. She said hopefully by next week everything should be up and running.

I am not a member fo the NRA. If any of you are, please let them know, maybe they can help.

I am an NRA member. Contacted them, and never heard back. We're just going to have to wait for our 2A rights. No one is willing to help us.

On the other hand, it may actually be good news that an outside contractor is handling the checks. Most of the time, a private company will be much more efficient than some public-sector agency whose employees basically have a lifetime job, no matter how they perform their duties.

Let's see how this plays out over the next two weeks. We were given a date of March 10, so all we can do is hope they stick to it.

I would still like to know the name of the company handling the checks. So next person who calls the adjuster, please get this info. Thanks.

So last week they were telling us "next week", now that next week is here it will be up "hopefully by next week" again. Uggh. This would be hilarious if it wasnt for the fact that our civil rights are being violated. Thanks for nothing NRA....guess they left us for dead years ago.

So last week they were telling us "next week", now that next week is here it will be up "hopefully by next week" again. Uggh. This would be hilarious if it wasnt for the fact that our civil rights are being violated. Thanks for nothing NRA....guess they left us for dead years ago.

I don't blame the NRA for not getting involved. They would just be throwing good money after bad.

I fully blame the local PD's for this. They have the discretion to issue the FID and/or PP. If another agency has a problem, the local PD should still be responsible to issue the permits in a timely manner. It is their responsibility, not the Essex County adjuster's.

I guess, theoretically we could ask the chief if they have to uphold the US constitution. If they say yes, then they would have to issue us the FID without the mental helath check, or at least look for an alternative source for the check. If they refuse, then the chief is actually not upholding the constitution.

I don't blame the NRA for not getting involved. They would just be throwing good money after bad.

I fully blame the local PD's for this. They have the discretion to issue the FID and/or PP. If another agency has a problem, the local PD should still be responsible to issue the permits in a timely manner. It is their responsibility, not the Essex County adjuster's.

I guess, theoretically we could ask the chief if they have to uphold the US constitution. If they say yes, then they would have to issue us the FID without the mental helath check, or at least look for an alternative source for the check. If they refuse, then the chief is actually not upholding the constitution.

That's all good in theory but the courts have ruled that they do not have to issue them without the checks coming back.

That's all good in theory but the courts have ruled that they do not have to issue them without the checks coming back.

Yes, but that ruling assumed that the county agencies would actually be able to provide the check. If they can't then that ruling wouldn't hold up under an appeal.

Yes, but that ruling assumed that the county agencies would actually be able to provide the check. If they can't then that ruling wouldn't hold up under an appeal.

Even if that would work, at this point it isn't worth picking a fight if they are close to processing checks again. If this was going to take a year a different story.

Even if that would work, at this point it isn't worth picking a fight if they are close to processing checks again. If this was going to take a year a different story.

Well, that's the thing.. it has already taken half a year for me. It's about to be 6 months. At this point, i'm not sure if one year is out of the question..

Has anyone called today to check the status? If not, I will call again next week

I haven't called since last week. If anyone calls, make sure to get the name of the company contracted to do the checks. We need to confirm this story, and also start pressuring them to go as fast as possible.

Has anyone called today to check the status? If not, I will call again next week

I have not called again. Why wait for next week? Try today. I have always had good luck getting through in the morning.

Ok, just called called the Adjuster. This is turning into complete BS, and I'm willing to bet it will be months, and possibly years, before anything gets sorted

• The records ARE NOT done, and there is no ETA as to when they will be.
  • Essex county is doing the checks IN HOUSE, they ARE NOT being outsourced.
  • The lady I spoke with DOES NOT have any info on the company doing the restoration. She DOES NOT even know their location

Sorry to say, but at this point, the people who applied in Sept (including myself), will most like have to get re-printed.

Ok, just called called the Adjuster. This is turning into complete BS, and I'm willing to bet it will be months, and possibly years, before anything gets sorted

• The records ARE NOT done, and there is no ETA as to when they will be.
  • Essex county is doing the checks IN HOUSE, they ARE NOT being outsourced.
  • The lady I spoke with DOES NOT have any info on the company doing the restoration. She DOES NOT even know their location

Sorry to say, but at this point, the people who applied in Sept (including myself), will most like have to get re-printed.

This is getting out of hand. I spoke to the adjuster 3 days ago and she told me they are going to out source the checks. Now today she says it is going to be done inhouse.

Folks, I smell something fishy going on.

This is getting out of hand. I spoke to the adjuster 3 days ago and she told me they are going to out source the checks. Now today she says it is going to be done inhouse.

Folks, I smell something fishy going on.

I wonder if it is the same person? We need our pds to call to get a strait answer.

Wow. Ill be calling my PD on Monday and ask to speak to the detective in charge of processing apps. He was very nice in my past dealings with him, maybe he can fill me in on the real story.

Sounds like a good idea. Will call mine next week as well. He was pretty pissed that it was taking this long and hopefully will get a straight answer.