Sign in to follow this  
dave545

reloading 223 in a 9mm die plate

Hey guys in all of this craziness i have decided im going to reload some .223 and 5.56 loads however the plates are crazy expensive right now upwards of 120$ as well as

the dies themselves. I did just find some lee dies for 36$ shipped and they have a bunch in stock its a ebay seller heres the link

http://www.ebay.com/itm/390530266250?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2648

So to the point of this post. if you have the dies for .223 you can use a 9mm or .380 shell plate and it will work when you are reloading .223 rounds. It is a tad bit loose but

it works great in a pinch so if you guys want to save some money and not pay almost 4x the price for plates here is the way.

On my hornady plates, a 9mm case will NOT fit a 223 plate as the groove in the 9mm is too small. OTOH, a 223 shell WILL fit a 9mm shell plate, however, its a VERY SLOPPY fit and therein lies a potential danger: if you have a shell with abnormal resistance extracting from the resizing die, you run the risk of the plate slipping off the rim and leaving a stuck case which is a real shitty situation. Get the proper plates if at all possible.