tony357

tip's new range and store "SHOOTERS"

Finally going up. 15 stall range plus an archery range, Frangible ammo only as i read in the paper last year..

I would have joined when he ran the special if it were not frangible only plus ammo must be purchased at shooters.

Tom has a large inventory of firearms.

Pics of Shooters.

tips3_zps563dbaeb.jpg

tips5_zpsa05fc3bc.jpg

tips6_zps7fc0dd84.jpg

tips7_zps6102f21b.jpg

tips_zpseaf69bbd.jpg

Only frangible ammo and only purchased at their store? Couldn't that prove to be expensive? What is the average cost of a frangible round compared to let's say a conventional target .38 or .223?

I have no idea, that was the main reason i did not join the range, my brother did join he was charging 1G for ten years of range time to generate start up money. The total calculated costs is around 4 mil to put up shooters..

I did some looking around and there's not a great deal of choices and what little there are is priced about 10 to 20% more than target rounds. Factor in their mark up and you quite possibly could be looking at a rather expensive range trip, again depending on your caliber and how much you shoot. Now as I understand it frangible ammo is easier on the back stop of the range so my questions would be, are they attempting to preserve the longevity of the backstop,did they just opt for a less impenetrable and therefor less expensive backstop,made a business decision to maximize profits by not allowing outside ammo to be fired or a combination of all?

I am glad to see new ranges open but it would seem to me that such a restrictive policy would be a deciding factor in not only yours but the majority of shooters decisions to join in that area.

Frangible only in all calibers? Yikes. I have no idea what the pricing would be but if its mark up is comparable to some other ranges it would be expensive indeed.

I do give kudos for bringing another place to shoot for NJ though. Good luck with everything.

I totally agree with you, I have not spoken to tom on why it is frangible only but i think our twp may have put that restriction on him.

That would make sense but not allowing outside ammo can prove to be a costly mistake in the long run IMHO.

I was waiting a long time for them to break ground.

I had no idea it was only frangible ammo. I was kicking myself in the ass for not buying the pre-member price, but now phew, glad I did not!

Thanks Tony for the heads up. I am sure many will enjoy the range when open. The guys and gals at Tips are awesome, and I always get a quoted price on a firearm when I call within 48 hours.

We shoot frangible at Old Bridge's Indoor range. Static Steel as fast as you can pull the trigger, and some rather large plates up close enough to point-shoot. A REAL HOOT! That kind of action shooting is the only reason to pay more for frangible. Punching paper at $30 - $40 per box is a little CRAZY. Heads are available for reloading, but you have to be REALLY careful not to crush the heads in the loading press, and it makes a real mess if you do. Only 2-3 manufacturers actually make this stuff and some is more frangible than others.

It's nice to see a new place take shape, but frangible-only (and bought at the store) are deal-breakers, UNLESS it's the ONLY game in town down there..........

We shoot frangible at Old Bridge's Indoor range. Static Steel as fast as you can pull the trigger, and some rather large plates up close enough to point-shoot. A REAL HOOT! That kind of action shooting is the only reason to pay more for frangible. Punching paper at $30 - $40 per box is a little CRAZY. Heads are available for reloading, but you have to be REALLY careful not to crush the heads in the loading press, and it makes a real mess if you do. Only 2-3 manufacturers actually make this stuff and some is more frangible than others.

It's nice to see a new place take shape, but frangible-only (and bought at the store) are deal-breakers, UNLESS it's the ONLY game in town down there..........

I recently bought 1000 rounds of Federal BallistiClean 9mm Luger 98 Grain Frangible LE Tactical Training Ammunition for $299. Apparently it was ordered by California for LE training, but the govt couldn't pay their bills.

cheaper backstop and/or cheaper air filtration with non-toxic frangible. I can't imagine it is on purpose, maybe being in the Pinelands has certain requirements for new construction of ranges? I'm grasping for straws though, lol.

It strikes me as a shame that such a impressive and welcomed shooting facility could possibly be undone by either a questionable management decision or misguided township regulation.

^like

Have frangible ammo improved in the past few years? Last I knew, they were accurate enough for close quarters but suffered from accuracy, hard primers, and excessive wear on the gun/rifle.

Maybe if the ammo they have is "better" then it's not as bad as it seems, just expensive? I used to live in Mystic and now I take my daughter down in the summer and weekends to my Mom's place (and a LOT more often as we rebuild from Sandy!)... I'd really like to have a nearby range when I'm there, but if it doesn't work out then I'll keep driving to Ft Dix.

Wally