Rick_F

Springfield Armory MC Operator Finish Wear

Here's my latest response from SA:

First, the repair dept. has to determine if the issues are warranty and then address them. That department usually quotes around 2 to 4 weeks. If you would like to have any upgrades done then it would go into the Custom shop. Machine checkering (an upgrade) is what takes +/- 12wks not the Repair dept. If the frame is not correctly machined and the Repair dept. has to refit slide to frame or any other work then it “usually” takes them 2 to 4 weeks. They will refinish in that department and all warranty work is of course free. The Repair/Warranty dept. would address issues that are under warranty and reship back to the owner of the firearm all free. Any upgrades goes into the Custom shop, such as Checkering which is running around 12 weeks – there is no rushing in this dept. If you have checkering done and it will require refinishing then the procedure is to charge for that cost and return shipping. I cannot override this procedure. I will forward this email to Mr. Williams and ask him to reply back to me or you with your request. The departments are separate. The Repair/Warranty all under warranty and the Custom shop a department of “upgrades” . If you have no upgrades done and the Repair/Warranty dept. finds your pistol to be all warranty then of course it will be repaired and returned with no charge.

So basically they have to do the warranty work, refinish, and return it to me. Then I mail it back, they strip it again, and do the front strap, and refinish? That is the type of bureaucracy only a liberal could create. I'm sorry, but this makes no sense to me.

I had an issue with my SIG a while back, and it was fixed under warranty. After I sent it, I asked the CS rep if I could add their "Action Enhancement Package." He said "no problem," asked for my CC#, and it was a done deal. He obviously didn't charge shipping becasue it was already covered under the warranty process. I thought I would go ahead and do the same thing here.

Maybe Mr. Williams will be able to do something here, as my experiences with his company and product so far have been gutter.

I got it like that last Friday, and sent it back to them again. They got it yesterday morning, but haven't looked at it yet. All of their Operators are already allocated, so I would have to wait in line like everyone else if I wanted one that actually works. They *should* be able to send me a refund, but they ren't sure yet, and idk if they will refund the tax and NICS.

Also of note, my friend, who is a 1911 expert said the gouge running down the center of the inside of the frame is not normal, and should not be doing that. Also he said the guy was too lazy to buff down the edge of the barrel bushing, as the new one they fit has razor sharp edges. Other 1911s I own or handled are not like that, but I can't recall if the Operator was like that initially.

Anyway, I'm not a happy camper.

Ok, I have my SA Op MC on my lap. Absolutely no visible line running down in the 6 o'clock position as you have.

Dude, that really sucks. How stupid can a company be? You do something like this to a customer, and the odds are they will never buy another product from you. And worse, tell everyone you know how you were given the shaft. Really bad by SA. When you drop the ball, you really need to make every effort to correct the situation... and then some.

Ok, I have my SA Op MC on my lap. Absolutely no visible line running down in the 6 o'clock position as you have.

Dude, that really sucks. How stupid can a company be? You do something like this to a customer, and the odds are they will never buy another product from you. And worse, tell everyone you know how you were given the shaft. Really bad by SA. When you drop the ball, you really need to make every effort to correct the situation... and then some.

Thanks for letting me know about that groove. I didn't think that was right. SA told me that it happens from the barrel lug or whatever rubbing during assembly, and basically I didn't know anything about 1911s.

Funny how everyone rips on Kimber for their crappy customer service. Maybe they do, but I've never had to call them. My Eclipse functions perfectly, and fits together like a Swiss watch.

I still kind of want an Operator for some reason. What would you think Springfield should do for me?

- Send me a refund

- Send me a different Operator right away

- Send me an upgrade (TRP Operator)

- Repair this one again, and give me a partial refund? ($500)

Because of the gun laws and NICS, they would need to send a replacement to a FFL...which they should do. With that said, you would need to transfer your defective 1911 to them. In thier defense, the paper work is complicated and brutal.

They should, make it right and refinish it if need be in an expedited way. In addition, give you a bunch of swag or Gift Certificates to buy stuff from their website like magazines etc. You did buy a premium 1911 not your basic model so your expectations ought to be higher.

Accounting practices also make it difficult to 'cut a check', but giving swag and store credit are easier to log in your General Ledger.

Thanks for all of your comments Wojo.

Springfield said they are working on getting me a refund, and made a snarky comment about it being a "tiny blemish." I asked if they could send me a replacement pistol, and they said that I would have to wait 6-9 months. I asked for the customer service person's supervisor to see if they could arrange a replacement pistol to be sent any sooner.

I wonder if they'll refund everything you paid including tax and nics. Did you send them your receipt from the purchase?

Yes, I scanned a copy of the original receipt. I could've disputed it with my CC company, but I didn't want to screw over the shop I purchased from.

I hope they refund the tax and NICS. Not to mention the loss of a permit, and driving around to ship it out 2x, driving to FedEx to pick it up, all the time spent trying to contact them, buying a box to ship it in, etc. It's been a pain in the ass.

"Tiny Blemish"...my ass. If they had that blemish running down the hood of their new luxury car they wouldn't be a satisfied customer. Tiny Blemish....pleeease. A tiny blemish is one you have to put some effort to see and look for.

first off, my brother has 2 operators. i was never impressed with the finish of either of them. they are a good quality combat pistol. nothing more, nothing less.

second, untwist your panties. you sent them the pistol for warranty work. they didnt do the job you expected then you sent it back. now you expect them to give you free stuff? its a business not a charity. you have to pay for custom shop work. they are 2 different departments and 2 different shops. once it hits the custom shop floor it is no longer a warranty job and you must pay for everything that goes on there. i have faith that they will fix their mistake and nothing more unless requested and paid for. if you dont like it sell the pistol and get a colt or something else with a rail.

first off, my brother has 2 operators. i was never impressed with the finish of either of them. they are a good quality combat pistol. nothing more, nothing less.

second, untwist your panties. you sent them the pistol for warranty work. they didnt do the job you expected then you sent it back. now you expect them to give you free stuff? its a business not a charity. you have to pay for custom shop work. they are 2 different departments and 2 different shops. once it hits the custom shop floor it is no longer a warranty job and you must pay for everything that goes on there. i have faith that they will fix their mistake and nothing more unless requested and paid for. if you dont like it sell the pistol and get a colt or something else with a rail.

Reading comprehension buddy. . . For the custom work, I had no problem paying for it. I just didn't see why I would be charged for re-finishing it after they were going to do that anyway. Same with the shipping. The "custom shop" is the same as their "production shop." The front strap checkering is done by the same people and on the same machines as their regular production pistols as was confirmed by SA. The custom shop designation is a separate paper pusher entity. I offered to pay them the $200 required to checker the front in between them re-fitting the frame/slide and re-finishing. As for your confidence in them getting the pistol right- they told me they could not fix this pistol to 100% condition. I asked for a new one then, and they told me that I had to wait up to 9 months for it. I'm just pissed they sent it back to me f'd up as they had. Anyone with 2 eyes could tell right off the bat that it wasn't right. This is the 2nd failure of QC before a shot was even fired with it.

Wow that really sucks... springfield must be slammed judging by the posts from other 1911 forums.

Hope your issue gets resolved

Thanks JTY.

SA finally stated on email they will send a refund for the full amount (including tax) in about a week. She said herself and the director of production thought it would be best for us to "part ways." hence they will not send a replacement pistol. I guess my expectations for a properly machined, undamaged psitol is too high a bar for them at this point.

That sucks, but, they are refunding your money and not forcing you to take something you aren't happy with. They should include the fees for NICS and NJSP's extorion fees to let you exercise your 2A rights.

I just wanted to update. SA was unable to deliver a new MC Operator in a reasonable amount of time, so they refunded my the price I paid plus tax & NICS. I suppose this is the best case scenario.

On a side note-

I found a SIG P229 classic .22 online. I asked the retailer if it had the new style E2 grips. They emailed me back stating they do indeed. While I was waiting for their response, I called SIG and asked which models come with the new E2 grips. The CS rep I spoke with said they all match the picture in their 2013 PDF catalogue if the manufacture date is 1/1/13 or after. I ordered the pistol and had it shipped. It arrived at my FFL, and as my luck would have it, they had the old style grips. I called SIG to see if all new models had the upgraded manspring, trigger bar, and de-cocker necessary to fit the new grips. I wanted to know if I needed to order them as well. They said it is likely not to if it had the old grips, and they decided to send me the full replacement kit for free to ship out with the caliber x-change kit I ordered. Needless to say, I'm glad I purchased another pistol from a manufacturer I can rely on.