ogfarmer

MINI 14 Question

I have a mini 14 that came w/ 5 round mag. I just got a 10 rounder but noticed that when in mag well the mag release button is nearly impossible to release. Any ideas?

Ok this is a older model and using metal factory mags. the problem is that theres no room to move the release because it almost touches the mag. 5 rounders drop fine, its just the longness of the 10 rounder blocking the release, what would a mag release extension do?

I’m no expert on Mini’s but some aftermarket mags could be hairy. I use ProMags and they work nicely in my Mini. You shouldn’t have to do anything with the mag release, either it works “As is” or something is wrong. Maybe after things clam down see if you could locate some ProMags IMO they are the best of breed for the Mini in aftermarket mags, YMMV

I’m no expert on Mini’s but some aftermarket mags could be hairy. I use ProMags and they work nicely in my Mini. You shouldn’t have to do anything with the mag release, either it works “As is” or something is wrong. Maybe after things clam down see if you could locate some ProMags IMO they are the best of breed for the Mini in aftermarket mags, YMMV

I am glad they work for you.

I don't have any for my Mini-14, but calling ProMag the "best in breed" for anything makes me gag. They are THE WORST handgun magazines I have ever encountered. Any one of them will turn a good functioning gun into a jam-o-matic. And this is across several gun platforms. Their reputation is very poor.

I am glad they work for you.

I don't have any for my Mini-14, but calling ProMag the "best in breed" for anything makes me gag. They are THE WORST handgun magazines I have ever encountered. Any one of them will turn a good functioning gun into a jam-o-matic. And this is across several gun platforms. Their reputation is very poor.

well when you find something better and legal let us know, the "best in breed" for knock-offs isn't that same as 'the BEST" which are Ruger Mags. IIRC Ruger mags only come in 5's, 20's and 30rounds. so if you could suggest another I'd like to know...

EDIT:

here is Midway product links, it don't look like the 20's review is too bad. So expect for capacity there are the same mag but YMMV

20 round and review

10 round and no review

Currently not much of an interest in 10 rounds except nanny states like us.....

I have a couple of Ruger branded 10 round mags, have had them for quite a few years so I don't know if they are still available.

you are correct, just looked them up it has been a while since I purchased anything for the Mini. I know after the NJ AWB I could never find 15 round mags, last time I looked were still impossible to find so I gave up. Good to know Ruger does my 10 rds, in the meantime the ProMag clones will do here...

I'm not sure if you guys understand what I'm refering too in my question or maybe I'm not understanding your answers, because the answers being given seem to just refer to how different brand mags fits in the well.

I am refering to the mag release lever not being able to move because of the 10 rd mag extruding from the well, compared to the 5 rounder being flush with the bottom of the mag well. It almost touches the mag causing it to be very hard to manipulate for release. I am wondering if its just a isolated thing with my rifle since no one else seems to have this issue.

Thanks for the responses so far...

I get what you are saying and with my mini, i have no issue with the mags sticking out the bottom.

The lever is about 1/4" away from the mag. If I hold the mag in, the lever will travel far enough to hit the mag. But, it releases at about 1/8".

Help any?

I'm not sure if you guys understand what I'm refering too in my question or maybe I'm not understanding your answers, because the answers being given seem to just refer to how different brand mags fits in the well.

I am refering to the mag release lever not being able to move because of the 10 rd mag extruding from the well, compared to the 5 rounder being flush with the bottom of the mag well. It almost touches the mag causing it to be very hard to manipulate for release. I am wondering if its just a isolated thing with my rifle since no one else seems to have this issue.

Thanks for the responses so far...

Sorry, thread drift. :)

Yes, I have seen this happen when the rear of the magazine is not locked completely into place. It may feel like it is, and may not move down if you tug on it, but I bet if you push up really hard on the rear of the mag, the release lever will make a click and move to the rear towards the trigger and you will be able to activate it to release the mag. New stiff Ruger mags are prone to this from what I understand.

Since lunker brought it up, keep in mind the mini's mag sort of "rotate" into lock. They do not go straight in like an AR (well they will if you push hard enough). There is a pin at the top front of the receiver that the the mag catches on and then rotates rearward to lock on the bump-out on the back of the mag.