Granby140@aol.com

Passaic valley wants to let principal carry

Passaic Valley H.S. considers letting principal carry concealed gun

Published: February 5, 2013 10:24 PM

Principal Ray Rotella was a police officer for 25 years and has extensive firearms training. (February 5, 2013 11:12 PM)

LITTLE FALLS - The principal of Passaic Valley High School could soon be permitted to carry a concealed weapon to school.

Principal Ray Rotella knows how to handle a weapon. Before his current post, he worked as a police officer for 25 years and has extensive firearms training and real-life experience.

Rotella told News 12 New Jersey that in the event of a school lockdown, having a trained, armed person within the school would be most effective in handling the situation.

The district's superintendent of schools agrees, and says that Rotella's extensive experience in the field makes him particularly qualified for this unique exception.

Both men agree that not every teacher should be armed.

The district's board of education will consider the proposal at meetings on Feb. 12 and 26.

not that its wrong but this is from a school with a permanent resource officer. and for those not familiar totowa is part of the district, and totowa put cops in all schools in January. i think if hes qualified to do it he should be the more protection the better. but it would be nice to see sro's in more towns.

i went to hs in wayne, and we had an sro full time in school. he was a decent guy. more looking to just keep students on the right path. A buddy of mine got pulled over during lunch one time, the cop called the sro instead of writing a ticket. the sro went on to call his parents and tell them. Alot of students looked up to him as someone to go to to talk to if they had a problem. and he would try to help people without getting anyone in trouble. as well as teach drug, gang, and police classes. I really dont see a problem with sro's.

the principal even if a retired leo should have to go to mandatory training quarterly or something as well as qualifications.

Concealed carry for teachers and staff that feel they can handle it and willing to train for it is the better solution IMO....a shooter can target an SRO first by surprise.....but with anonymous teachers, he will never know where a gun is coming from, and may just go find a school that is in a gun free zone......

....hell....I think all a school has to do is hint that the teachers might be armed....