mattio41

Staying Legal w/ AR Parts

Just trying to make sure I am staying legal, with some builds I am working on. With all the craziness that has been going on, I have bought a few different uppers, lowers, parts kits, stocks.

Here is my question. If I have parts in my home that are not currently "NJ Neutered" yet, but there are no guns that are assembled, am I in violation. I will give you a few examples:

I have two uppers, that need to have the evil bayonet lug removed and the flash suppressor replaced. Currently, I am hiding these at my office, but not really allowed to have this here, and would like to bring them home if allowed.

I have two lowers, that are not assembled. I have a couple of stocks, that are not attached, but also not pinned yet. I am waiting on some BCG's to arrive next week.

So the almighty question is, can I store these together while waiting for parts to arrive, completely unassembled, or am I in violation of NJ laws...

If you have enough parts, in one location, to assemble a complete, non-compliant, gun, then you may be in violation due to constructive possession??? Paul?

Thanks, Just to be safe, I am taking the uppers to the FFL who is neutering them for me, and ask him to hold them while the Muzzle brakes are being shipped. What about the stocks though? Can I leave them in a box, until I am ready to assemble, or do I have the same issue?

Assault Weapon means "A part or combination of parts designed or intended to convert a firearm into an assault firearm, or any combination of parts from which an assault firearm may be readily assembled if those parts are in the possession or under the control of the same person."

Question, what if you have all the parts but no lower?

If you do not have a lower in your possession/control then you can not assemble the parts you do have into a firearm and therefore do not have constructive possession.

When I built my AR I got the lower last, after my upper had the muzzle brake pinned and I had the stock pinned.