matyb123

legal to pin your own AR15 mags?

So the real question is..(. Maybe Ty can chime in here ) is it possible to alter the Midwest pmags so that they will accept and feed 30 rounds again?? Wouldn't that make them illegal ?

you can "modify" a spring and sheet metal to feed 30 rounds.... I think the point more is this.. when you run a modified mag.... you run the risk of having to answer as to how it is not a high capacity magazine.. the chances of that happening are slim.. but lets look at two extremes..

take a 30 round mag.. and put some tape in the bottom so it can't hold more than 15... I am sure we all agree that is not likely going to fly....

the other end of the spectrum is a 15 round metal mag.. with the tabs cut off.. and a block riveted in place of a plate... I am sure most would agree that mag has been modified to no longer hold more than 15..

then there are a million configurations in the middle.. and the answer is NO ONE knows how that may go..chances are if you can undo your "permanent" with 2 minutes and a hand drill... chances are that might not be the best..

the facts are they want you to have a mag that ONLY can hold 15 period.. that is the intention of the law.. everything beyond that you are rolling the dice.. with some things being a higher gamble than other things.... if that makes sense..

So a while back, a friend of mine in pa cam across a good deal on pmags. He bought a bunch and built a block out of some plastic (1/2 inch thick or so) and pinned and glued it to the floor plate, then he pinned a ranger plate on with a roll pin and epoxied that. I am pretty sure that if I try to crack the epoxy or remove the pin, I would damage the mag permanently. Short story, he did this in pa, well blocked and well pinned, as far as I can tell, it is permanent and would ruin the mag if I attempted to modify, as per the language of the law, this is legal. You could do it yourself, just as long a it is over state lines. Think about your intent. Are you making a best effort to satisfy the law?

Oh, and you aren't reversing Ty's mags. As far as I can tell, they are pinned AND epoxied and you will destroy the floor plate if you try to adjust them. this is his business and he wouldn't risk his livelihood on a poor job staying within the guidelines of the law.

Oh, and you aren't reversing Ty's mags. As far as I can tell, they are pinned AND epoxied and you will destroy the floor plate if you try to adjust them. this is his business and he wouldn't risk his livelihood on a poor job staying within the guidelines of the law.

to be completely clear.. I have no opinions on his mags.. I never handled them..

to be completely clear.. I have no opinions on his mags.. I never handled them..

I have a bunch of them, I gave one to a friend in ny, he tried to mod it for ny laws. He completely destroyed it. Tried an acetone soak, brute force, etc... Destroyed the mag housing and the floor plate. Left with nothing useful but the spring and follower.

His are a bit tight, can barely get the dust cover on, but he is making sure that we are in compliance. His prices are great as well. He hasn't raised prices like the bigger shops and he backs up his products and services 100%. I highly recommend doing business with him.

100%

I got the place where I work hooked up with their MidwestPX dealer account. When we pin a non compliant mag in house, it gets blocked, epoxied, and then goes in the drill press to be blind pinned.

Ty's mags dont just have a hole drilled all the way through. The mag is blind pinned (the pin hole does not go all the way through) so you cant just beat the pin out. If you want to remove the pin you must drill it out. Depending on the pin placement mag to mag you can get it somewhere that if someone attempts to drill out the pin they ruin the lips that retain the bottom plate, rendering the mag body unusable.

I am not willing to bet my shirt (or anything for that matter lol) but I just feel he won't make a big splash with this. I am a firm believer (maybe wishful thinking) that he is gonna lay low so that he has a half decent shot at the 2016 run... If he makes any anti-gun moves right now it will be detrimental to the 2016 race and almost sure as shit end it before it starts...

Why? The majority of people are in favor of gun control now. The people who elected Obama are in favor of gun control. Only a third of Americans own guns and not all of them are against some form of additional gun control. I would think that the smart move is to pass some small gun control laws and ten round mags is my guess also as it shows he wants to save lives but it does not abolish any weapons and it only effects NJ which is not a big pro gun State anyway. Us gun owners apparently do not turn out in large numbers to vote for Presidents or else Obama would not be here. I think anyone who wants to run for president needs to appease the majority of voters who want something done about guns and he will do it by limiting magazine capacity which is the lessor of two evils.

You mean the majority of democrats are in favor of gun control now. It you look at who is proposing the majority of gun control bills, it's democrats. If you look who is in favor of gun control bills, it's mostly democrats. If Christie is a smart man, he'll continue to recognize that NJ has plenty of gun laws, veto any law that makes it through, and strongly-announce that the State will work to enforce the laws it already has on the books.

If you no longer had the original spring plate then it could not be reassembled to accept and feed more than 15 rounds right? I'm trying to understand this before I do this so I'm speaking with no personal experience but only having watched videos on YouTube.

Technically no. But I have not tried to load a pmag without the spring plate to see what happens. The magazine would have to accept more than 15 as well as feed them into the gun. If anyone has a pmag laying around try and remove the spring plate reinstall the bottom plate and see if it works without one.