vladtepes

surefire G2 lens replacement..

The metal head of the KX4 LED Upgrade may provide more support than the G2's plastic OEM part.

http://www.surefire.com/parts-accessories/led-conversions/kx4-led-conversion-head.html

Or send it back to Surefire for replacement. They have an outstanding warranty department.

I do not think replacing a lens and gasket assembly correctly is end user maintenance. But, I have never seen, or even heard of that happening before.

As far as preventing it from happening again...

What type of comp/flash suppressor are you using?

You may need to re-clock your break/comp, re-position your light, get a new muzzle device, or suppress that weapon.

Yes. The KX4 head is the LED upgrade for any of Surefire's 1" body lights. it fit the G2 series perfectly (not the G2X though).

I think I had the light a little too far forward..

With a barrel that short, your options are limited if you want to be able to drive the gun and work the light.

Place your hands too far back and you are cramping your workspace and crowding the center of balance of the rifle making it sloppy when transitioning targets. Too far forward and you are a bit more comfortable and have more control over the muzzle, but you beat the sh!t out of your gear.

Additionally, must suppressor companies do not recommend putting a can on anything shorter than 10.5" and will not warranty their products if used on an SBR that short.

I have a R0933 issued to me. I just don't see the utility of anything shorter than 11.5" but I bet it is fun.

You need to get the G2 off the rifle as it is not designed for this purpose and does not have shock absorbing features. Then get yourself a dedicated weapon light.

Molon Labe

shock absorbing? its 556.... there is no shock..

just to add.. light still works fine.. bulb still totally in tact even after being exposed to the muzzle blast without a lens.. that tells me it is just fine..

You need to get the G2 off the rifle as it is not designed for this purpose and does not have shock absorbing features. Then get yourself a dedicated weapon light.

Molon Labe

Shenanigans.

I personally have many thousands of rounds on 4 5.56 rifles (one of which is an issued SBR that is full auto capable) with G2 lights with zero problems before I switched over to the Fury line. I have many co-workers and friends with the same results. Most of these are rifles that are shot often and used hard, again with zero issues. I have full confidence in the G2, G2X, and Fury handheld lights when used as a weapon light on 5.56 rifles and even shotguns.

The "You need a Weapon light, not a handheld" is a myth put out by Surefire so you buy a $500 M600c scout instead of a $50-$110 Surefire handheld and a $20 Vtac mount for the same results.

Yes. The KX4 head is the LED upgrade for any of Surefire's 1" body lights. it fit the G2 series perfectly (not the G2X though).

With a barrel that short, your options are limited if you want to be able to drive the gun and work the light.

Place your hands too far back and you are cramping your workspace and crowding the center of balance of the rifle making it sloppy when transitioning targets. Too far forward and you are a bit more comfortable and have more control over the muzzle, but you beat the sh!t out of your gear.

Additionally, must suppressor companies do not recommend putting a can on anything shorter than 10.5" and will not warranty their products if used on an SBR that short.

I have a R0933 issued to me. I just don't see the utility of anything shorter than 11.5" but I bet it is fun.

I have heard this and that about too short.. and I understand the issues with having it that short.. but I have to tell you sub 50 yards and the round really mangles the target.. we were shooting pumpkins and they were making straight pencil holes in.. and football size holes out the back.. I am convinced sub 100 yards it would "work"

Gotcha. Like I said, it is probably great fun and sub 100 yards it is probably adequate. Just a little too niche for my wants and needs.

What is the twist rate on the barrel? I am assuming 1/7 so you get at least 1 rev before the projectile exits the barrel.

What length is the gas system?

What are the ballistics tables like as far as trajectory/holdovers?

That ammo are you running through it?

What do you feel you are gaining with a 7" barrel that you don't have with a 10"-11.5" barrel?

Gotcha. Like I said, it is probably great fun and sub 100 yards it is probably adequate. Just a little too niche for my wants and needs. What is the twist rate on the barrel? I am assuming 1/7 so you get at least 1 rev before the projectile exits the barrel. What length is the gas system? What are the ballistics tables like as far as trajectory/holdovers? That ammo are you running through it? What do you feel you are gaining with a 7" barrel that you don't have with a 10"-11.5" barrel?

it is actually 1/9

pistol gas system

federal xm193 55 gr

the gun is sighted in at 50 yards and using that dot gets me on target with minor adjustment... keeping in mind I got the gun at the begining of the winter and really have not run it to death yet..

no idea on actual ballistics because I am not sure what muzzle velocity would be..

I wanted the shortest most compact weapon system for inside 100 yards.. I had a cx4 storm in 40 that I sold with the understanding that I would replace it with an AR setup.. I just wanted super compact.. overall I am happy with the gun and know it will work out well for me once I have a stock on it.. lol

Call surefire. I melted the lens on my 6P in my tac vest. Called them told em what happened they sent out a new bezel with lens the same day. Surefire is awesome.

you are right about that.. I called them about the LED conversion and when everything was said and done, they told me they were sending me a replacement even though I was getting the LED conversion... they wanted to make right the part that failed... even though I was not going to need it..