Sign in to follow this  
302w

Help me build my first AR. M16A1 inspired

I finally bought a lower today, and 'scored' an LRB for $179. Not a bad price IMO and should be in soon. I ordered a second one for my dad and hopefully they will be consecutive which will be cool.

Now, I have never built an AR before. I know little about ARs, and never even shot one. Closest thing was a Colt M16 that someone was nice enough to let me do 30 round mag dumps in PA. I still watch the video from time to time with a big smile :D

Now, I want a forward assist carry handle upper with a 20" barrel and triangle handguards. Thing is, I don't know what manufacturers to avoid of what parts. Right now I can buy a slew of carry handle uppers from Sarco but I don't know what I need. I guess the M16A2 upper is more desireable due to the upgraded sights and foward assist.

Although, do I need an M16A2 upper versus an A1 upper? I don't care for the case deflector. Other than sights, I don't know the difference between A1 w/ forward assist and case deflector and standard A2.

A1, no FA or case deflector

http://www.e-sarcoinc.com/m16a1retroupper-1.aspx

A1, with FA and deflector

http://www.e-sarcoinc.com/m16a1retroupper.aspx

A2

http://www.e-sarcoinc.com/ar15m16a2upperreceivernewassemblyrearsight.aspx

Also, for individual parts, what parts do I not want to cheap out on, and what parts can I go cheap? I would like to use a quality LPK, chrome lined barrel, and quality chrome BCG if they make a difference.

How close to authenticity do you want to build it? If it's looks you want, then either A1 upper receiver will match the retro styling to match the triangle handguard. The non forward assist was the first generation M16. The second gen had the forward assist with the designation M16A1. I prefer the forward assist because I actually use it.

My recommendation is build an A2 National Match with A2 handguard. You'll have a better rear sight than what the A1 offers. You can build your way to a national match if you like. This is based on fixed handle approach. Going flat top with a removable carry handle will open you up to optics in the future. This is the M16A4. Not to say you can't mount optics on a fixed handle but you get better ergonomics and mounting options with the flat top. Optics don't have to be mounted so high above the bore.

I assume you want to go with a 20" barrel. Do you want a plinker or match accuracy? The barrel should not be something to skimp on. A 20" Bravo stainless bull barrel with a 2.23 Wylde chamber will be the ticket. A good trigger group is also something to look for. Be careful of the triangle front sight. Some come drilled with set screws, some with holes only, and some with no holes. If you don't plan to drill, ream and pin the front sight to the barrel, stick to the set screw version. White Oak shoult have them. Any LPK you can get your hands on for a fair price will be fine. Some may need a little fitting, most do not. A2 stock and rifle length buffer kit should wrap up the look. I left out additional parts, but you should keep an eye on what I did mention. Could turn from a fun build to a headache really fast.

Good luck finding BCGs too. They are hard to come by these days.

Thanks for the replys guys.

I'm pretty set on the A1 upper. I would like one with FA but without the case deflector, but they're pretty hard to come by unless I buy an old Colt upper. I really don't see a huge benefit to the A2 non NM upper versus the A1, except for adjusting for elevation on the fly. looking to keep the irons on this.

I'm looking to build a solid, reliable pinker. Something with a barrel twist that will digest .223 and the heavier 5.56 (and maybe some 22LR). I need to do some homework on that, and I won't be buying a barrel soon anyway. I have a few bolt guns that I can use for shooting golf balls, so I don't need a match grade AR.

Are parts such as the upper reciever and buffer assembly critical? Most M16A1 uppers seem no-name, and I am wondering if quality will suffer.

Midway allows back-ordering for an A1 DPMS upper that looks to be available 3/13 but it does come with a case deflector. DPMS should be pretty good. For plinking, a 20" 5.56 pencil barrel should suffice for your intended use. You probably want one with a slow twist, about 1:9 to 1:12, if you intend to use 22s. The 22s don't like fast twists.

Buffer assemblies are pretty standard everywhere.

Hooray the forum is back up!

Would an M16A1 parts kit work with my lower? It seems in the pic that it comes with a lower parts kit and a BCG. I imagine that those are M16 parts. I know I can use a FA BCG in a semi auto AR, but AFAIK the FA LPK wont work in a semi auto AR. Unless I am missing something in the kit. Or they replaced the FA LPK with commerical.

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/used-us-military-colt-m16a1-parts-kit.aspx?a=1115592

I am aware that they won't ship me the M16A1 parts kit due to the mag, and I can't use the flash supressor. I'd love to make a three prong-style muzzle break, but I don't have a lathe or mill unfortunately.