Justjules

Magazine Capacity and Law Enforcement question

Here is another twist, Off duty weapon with 13-15 round magazines carried into NY state with their current 7 round capacity law. Technically Im a civilian in NY but authorized to carry in all 50 states by federal bill H.R. 218 Law Enforcement Safety Act. Would I be breaking the law in NY with my O.D. weapon?? LOL I am starting to agree on the stupidity of current gun laws.

Really? No love for "slumming" with the commoners.

My advice, if you want to use your >15 round magazines for non-duty related shooting, get a letter signed by your supervisor specifically stating he has authorized you to do so. Thats how a chain of command works, the saying is "s*** rolls downhill" well in reality it rolls up hill. Follow orders from higher, so anytime you are called out for suspected wrongdoing you can say "talk to my supervisor" and now it's their actions under the microscope and not yours. If they did the right thing then there' nothing to worry about, he gets that extra pay to be responsible for you.

^^^ Do not follow this advice!

As stated prior, follow the procedures spelled out in your SOPs and Rules and Regs. Read them and become familiar with them. Typically a supervisor (Sgt, Lt, Capt) does not have the authority to authorize this or defend the decision. Speak with your agency legal council and follow their opinions.

In addition to my federal job I am an Army reservist and among my issued items are 7 30rd M16 mags. I traded away my AR15 just last month, but before that I did use my 30 rounders to go shooting. I was asked about them by my friends only (no range control or stranger ever approached me) and with the line "I'm in the army" that was it. Logic would direct me to believe that a policeman would be in the same boat... but NJ is illogical, as is the concept of lesser capacity magazines to begin with..

Your position as a reservist does not mean you can use your issued 30 rd magazines for "other than official duties". if you are not under orders using any of your issued equipment constitutes misuse of government property. That would be the same as using your field gear to go on a camping trip. You're lucky you didn't get caught with those magazines on a range trip.

IIRC NY was or has passed an exemption for active and retired LEOs to carry std capacity magazines.

Your position as a reservist does not mean you can use your issued 30 rd magazines for "other than official duties". if you are not under orders using any of your issued equipment constitutes misuse of government property. That would be the same as using your field gear to go on a camping trip. You're lucky you didn't get caught with those magazines on a range trip.

IIRC NY was or has passed an exemption for active and retired LEOs to carry std capacity magazines.

You're right, but my point was that the OP could probably pull the "I'm a ____" card in regard to his magazines, which has been successful for me in my personal defiance of New Jersey.