spwhite

another NICS complaint

Well today is day 15 of waiting for my NICS approval to come back. This is BS, I'm  a law abiding citizen that has served in the Air Force, I had a Top Secret security clearance. I am all for back ground checks to keep firearms away from people that are not suspossed to have them.

Then you should be willing to pay the price for your desire to force other American Citizens to be required to gain government permission to own firearms.  

And I'd certainly prefer a convicted felon that paid his debt to society carry a gun versus a citizen that wants to force me to get government permission to do so.  Which is more dangerous to my Nation?

I spoke with pro-2nd Amendment Assemblyman Michael Patrick Carroll (R-Morris County) earlier this week about the NICS delays plaguing law-abiding N.J. gun owners, he assured me I wasn't the first constituent to call and he has his staff looking into what is going on.

OK - I'm gonna be "That Guy" and ask a potentially silly question... I thought the "N" stood for "National". I thought the NICS call was made to the feds - to the FBI to be exact. No? FFL's are actually calling some NJ state entity?

OK - I'm gonna be "That Guy" and ask a potentially silly question... I thought the "N" stood for "National". I thought the NICS call was made to the feds - to the FBI to be exact. No? FFL's are actually calling some NJ state entity?

NJ Wants to control the process. It's one of the few states that submits the request to the Feds for you instead of the FFLs going to the feds directly.

I'm not even sure what this NICS is for. You go through the license process via blood, sweat, and tears, and then you have to go through NICS every time you buy.

Makes no sense. Is the license not record enough?

If you commit a crime after your get your fid card they have no way to know without nics

As of today - The NICS unit in Trenton is running at approx. 6 days (Not including Sunday)

They were up to almost 11 days at one point, but I'm told they hired some people to help

handle the onslaught of requests. This brought the wait time back down to approx. 3 days

but now it is slowly climbing back up (went to 4 days, then 5, now 6/7) - I think it is because of

the added number of requests due to more people having Tax return money to spend........

Thanks for the update JT.

This info really helps the rest of us without any inside track as to what is going on. I'm glad they added more people but for reasons you stated, it will be impossible to keep the pace in the short term. Because of all the panic buying and people using their tax refund to purchase, I think it will continue to get worst. Maybe things will improve in the summer after people have spent their tax refunds or the legislatures figure they have more important issues to deal with than trying to add more nonsensical gun laws for law abiding gun owners.

If I was the supervisor of NICS, I would not continue to add staff as all of this demand could suddenly disappear and I would suddenly have too many people standing idle. I would've wasted time training them only to have to let them go later (if that is even possible with the state).

NJ Wants to control the process. It's one of the few states that submits the request to the Feds for you instead of the FFLs going to the feds directly.

Which states handle NICS? CLICK HERE

So both NJ and PA have state-run offices that act as a POC between the feds and the FFL's. Since both states do this, it makes a person wonder why things go quickly in PA but take days/weeks in NJ. Things that make you go hhmmmmmm...

So both NJ and PA have state-run offices that act as a POC between the feds and the FFL's. Since both states do this, it makes a person wonder why things go quickly in PA but take days/weeks in NJ. Things that make you go hhmmmmmm...

A few reasons, PA NICS is open (IIRC) 8am -10pm seven days a week or something similar. In PA most, most resident NICS checks are done through an automated system that has the dealer punch in the buyers DL number, the dealer never needs to speak to an operator. And, PA staffs their NICS office adequately.

A few reasons, PA NICS is open (IIRC) 8am -10pm seven days a week or something similar.

It's 365 days per year.  Plus February 29 when it comes up.

In PA most, most resident NICS checks are done through an automated system that has the dealer punch in the buyers DL number, the dealer never needs to speak to an operator.

Actually, I don't think this is true.  Somebody mentioned this a few weeks ago and I remembered a few occasions where that was not the case and gave an example.  Having seen a number of FFL transfers recently, and with this in mind, it has sort of jogged my memory.  I think speaking with an operator is actually routine in PA.  I'll ask some of my dealers.  But the more I have seen it recently, and the more these threads have cause me to think about it, the more I have realized they tend to speak to operators quite a bit.

I went to an auction in PA yesterday and picked up a 1903, insta check took 11 minutes from the time she started until she hung up. I cant believe how insane NJ is right now when other states roll right on through.

I would be pissed at having to be on the phone for 11 minutes. During that time, other things could be handled. It used to be 2 minutes maximum in NJ, but as a dealer, I would rather fax them in if it takes longer than that.

Actually, I don't think this is true. Somebody mentioned this a few weeks ago and I remembered a few occasions where that was not the case and gave an example. Having seen a number of FFL transfers recently, and with this in mind, it has sort of jogged my memory. I think speaking with an operator is actually routine in PA. I'll ask some of my dealers. But the more I have seen it recently, and the more these threads have cause me to think about it, the more I have realized they tend to speak to operators quite a bit.

Well, I'm no authority on PA NICS, but I know I have seen dealers do instate checks over there and never said a word, only pushing buttons on the phone. I also heard people saying, at the height of the panic buying, that the automated calls were taking a minute or two to complete, while the operator calls were taking 30-45 minutes.

Last Friday the 15th I took a ride to RTSP in Randolf just to see what they had to pick from. They had a very large selection of handguns and I wound up buying up a Springfied XDM 45 3.8" Got a call from them on the 20th that I could come and pick up my gun. Maybe I just got lucky, I'm sure that it doesent matter where you buy from, the paperwork goes to the same place. Hope it comes thru for you quickly.