Sign in to follow this  
kzblock

Remington 870 Wingmaster Value

I have been interested in purchasing a used Remington 870 Wingmaster 12 gauge - I primarily want to shoot skeet with some friends, but nothing too serious. I found one today in a gun store in PA. I don't have much experience with shotguns, but it seemed to be in good condition. Everything was tight, and there was no rust or excessive wear anywhere inside of the gun. The blueing on the receiver and barrel looked good, but there were a few scratches/dings on the top of the receiver - these seemed to be only cosmetic, like the gun had been dropped on the concrete or something. There were a few scrapes on the stock and foreend, but these also didn't affect the function. The gun was chambered in 2 3/4 and came with a fixed modified choke and a 28" barrel - I believed it was vent ribbed. The serial number (S067553V) indicates that it was manufactured in 1968. The store wanted $299 for the gun, and they wouldn't budge on the price.

Unfortunately, I didn't think to grab any pictures, but I was close to buying it before I turned away. The gun had been there for 4 weeks, and I figured that it would have already been gone if it were an outstanding price - also, the dings on the receiver made me somewhat uncomfortable. I am now wondering if I should go back and get it, or if it's worth holding out for one that is less expensive or without any damage to the receiver/wood. I should also mention that I have checked out both the 870 Express and the Mossberg 500, and neither felt as tight or looked as nice as the Wingmaster, despite the multiple blemishes.

I figured I'd see if anyone could give me some advice or sway me either way, as I am having a tough time making the decision by myself. Thanks!

Remington 700 Wingmaster huh? LOL.

As far as a used 870 Wingmaster, I think it really depends on how they look, but the sky is the limit. I would be VERY interested in acquiring an older WIngmaster in good condition and maybe doing a little babying... Remington I love, I really do, but I have personally experienced their quality control issues on all the stuff I have. I am an upgrader and a tinkerer so I didn't send anything back, I used pocket money to upgrade any thing that needed "fixed" but they are NOT what they used to be.

Having said that, what they used to be is THE *BEST* and I really would love an old, beautitul and mechanically sound 870 Wingmaster with the rich bluing and in another line of thinking, maybe an old 700 CDL type that was really really nice. You once and a while see them usually in gunshops where people traded them in having inheritied/etc. and they didn't care... I have never bought one but would definitely take the opportunity given the right situation/right price. Especially with the 870, you can replace a lot of stuff ,but a properly and perfectly engineered/machined receiver etc. is just a thing of beauty IMHO.

Picked up a Early 1980's WingMaster from L&H in Brick a couple of years ago for $180.00. The condition that it was in is similar to what you mentioned, and the wood was in great shape. The guy that worked there was trying to move inventory, I guess I lucked out.