Sign in to follow this  
9X19

USGI Remington Rand

Question for Dave1563621, usnmars, or Nickjc.

Any chance that this one is from 44? I have my doubts. I'm looking at this one real hard. The owner claims his Father picked it up from the beach (Omaha) on D-Day. He is no longer alive. God bless him for his service.

Serial number is 2055xxx

Everything looks correct, but I am far from an expert. The barrel is made by High Standard. FJA stamped. Proof marks in the right places.

The problems I have with the claim is that it wears an Augusta Arsenal stamp, and has a checkered mainspring housing- should be serrated.

Coolgunsite tells me early 45 as do other sites, but sightm1911.com tells me it was part of a second shipment in 1944. He also had a small bottle of sand from Omaha beach that he kept with his 1911A1.

Is there a chance that this could go to re-aresenal and still have it's original finish?

All comments welcome.

Thanks.

post-4097-0-93084300-1364521672_thumb.jpg

post-4097-0-59334200-1364521882_thumb.jpg

post-4097-0-09259400-1364521970_thumb.jpg

Roland, my book says 44, Did he pick it up off Omaha, then send to Augusta for a repair? That sounds like some story for an AA rebuild? 9-1200. Dave

Said it was picked up off Omaha. Sadly he is no longer around to ask though.. Dave is there a way to know when it could have been delivered to SA from NY? I know.. I'm a little suspect. Would be really nice if it has a chance of being possible though. I'm Ok with the price. It is below that range.

Roland, If it is AA marked it was in service late 44 then went in for a rebuild @AA. No way picked up off beach on June 6 44.. Turnaround time in 44-45 was many months. Buyit as a rebuild- a nice one, but still a rebuild. Dave

Dave, Nick, thanks for your opinions. I guess I was already doubting the story. Thanks for confirming. The fact that it went to Arsenal rebuild means that is saw good hard service during the war. I did read somewhere once that they sometimes went in for just general cleaning if they were acting up and were not actually re-finished. I have a feeling that it may be the original finish on this one, but I can't be sure. I'm probably going to pick it up anyway. M1911A1 are like chips. You just can't only have one. :) At the price I could get it for it might even be a shooter.

Buy the gun not the story...Going to have to save that one Nick. LOL

Just out of curiosity Dave is your reference book the Clawson one?