galapoola

NJ Handgun Carry 2014

There are many Court of Appeals carry cases working their way to the Supreme Court. Alan Gura filed a petition for Cert at SCOTUS in the matter of Kachalsky v Cacace from the 2nd circuit. It could be heard in the upcoming Fall session. The earliest we'd have a decision is the end of 2013. I'm confident that the right will be extended outside the home and that anything resembling a "justifiable need" will be struck down. With that said, what are the requirements in NJ for training?

Any non-police "NJ Permit to Carry a Handgun" holders out there who can speak to the training course requirement?

Found this on page 13 of

TITLE 13. LAW AND PUBLIC SAFETY CHAPTER 54. FIREARMS AND WEAPONS

N.J.A.C. 13:54-2.3 Criteria for the issuance of a permit to carry a handgun

"Completion of a firearms training course substantially equivalent to the firearms training approved by the Police Training Commission as described by N.J.S.A. 2C:39-6j"

Complete document here

They can write as many stupid laws as they wish, if SCOTUS says the 2nd Amendment is an individual right (2008), that weapons in common use today cannot be legislated inoperative (2008), that the 2nd Amendment is incorporated to the states (2010), that a core right is self defense (2008) and then this year, that the right exists outside the house (2013 if all goes well), well that doesn't give the NJ government much wiggle room. I don't believe the political makeup in Trenton would ever agree or pass a bill agreeing but that's going to be irrelevant.

Now if you look at the Illinois situation, they had no carry law for civilians. A baby step for them would be to offer up a NJ style may issue and they'd have to be dragged back into court. In NJ we already have carry laws for civilians. They may be unfair and stacked against us but we have them. Our civil lawsuit is very narrow and specific namely that the state cannot limit the issue of permits on a whim (i.e. justifiable need). Once that's ruled unconstitutional, NJ has no where to go. They could leave all the statutes as is with one technical change namely that self defense is a good enough reason. It really is that simple. This is the genius behind the legal action in my opinion.