Sign in to follow this  
BigBlueQ

Need advice on which BCG to keep

Hey all,

My AR build is complete, but in my panic buying mode I ended up with a number of BCGs and parts. I know, noobie mistake.

That being said, I really need some advice on which BCG to use, and to keep. All in all, I have 5 either complete BCGs or the parts to complete them. They are as follows:

PARTS:

1 BCMGUNFIGHTER Charging Handle (5.56mm/.223) w/ Mod 4

2 BCM Gas Keys, Cam pins, firing pins

2 RRA bolts from PKFirearms

1 Core15 Bolt

BOLT CARRIERS AND GROUPS:

1 AR Stoner complete BCG from Midway

1 Bolt Carrier, M16, GI, Stripped from Fulton Armory

1 Phase 5 AR15 Bolt Carrier Stripped -(EN) Electroless Nickel

1 M16 complete Bolt carrier group MP tested from GEM STATE ARMORY

Mil-Spec MIL-STD-171 Phosphate Finish

Individually MP Tested

Bolt: 8620, Case Hardened, Shot Peened and MPI tested.

Carrier: 8620 Tool Steel-(M16 full shroud)-Heat Treated, Case Hardened, & Chrome Lined.

Gas Key: Tool Steel-Attached using Grade 8 Hardened Fasteners, & Staked.

Cam Pin: 4140 Steel

Extractor:Tool steel-shot peened

Extractor Spring:Upgraded Chrome Silicon. Black Buffer

1 Complete Bolt Carrier Assembly for M16 MPI from Windham Weaponry (on order)

And please no "You should have had patience for a (insert particular brand here)". As I said before, I panicked!

Your opinions? Feel free to mix and match the parts as well.

Thanks for your help guys, I'll post pics soon.

I don't know much about Gem State Armory. If I had a choice, I'd keep the Windham one.

I've read bad reviews on the AR Stoner one. Try cycling it to see how it works with your AR and see if there are any fit issues.

Unless you have a tool or the know how to stake the bolt carrier, I would avoid the stripped bolt carriers. No knock on Phase 5 or FA though.

Heh, I'm always in the basement tinkering with my guns. There's no way to hide it. She hears me cycling the bolt (of course, everything is empty or has snap caps).

if that's the case, probably wait on the Windham to come in. Or pick up one of my NiB that come in "soon". Probably a few weeks out still though. All the upgrades of my enhanced BCG plus a NiB finish rather than phosphating. If pricing holds, they should be $225 w/ free shipping.

Hey big blue. Would you be interested in selling a cam pin firing pin and cotter pin?

BCM should have all the parts you need - http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/AR-15-Upper-Receiver-Bolt-Carrier-Parts-s/2.htm

For some reason the firing pin retaining pin is hard to find on their site. They should have it though I just ordered that from them a couple weeks ago.

Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner Kimber.

I think for the time being I may want to hold onto them, since it might sweeten the deal if I ever get around to unloading the BCGs.

But Lalo is right, I checked BCM and it seems that those parts are in stock. If not, be patient, they get replenished some what quickly.