Sign in to follow this  
illy

minimum age for shooting/hunting

My friend's son (7 years old) asked me to teach him about firearms- safety, handing, types, shooting... His dad is all for it, but doesn't shoot or know much about guns (American, but lives in England most of the year).

I can teach most stuff at home, but as for actually trigger time-

Are there any age restrictions on taking kids to a shooting range/WMA shotgun range?

How about tagging along on a hunt without a youth license?

Last, is there a minimum age our residency retirement for the NJ Hunter Education course? I think that would be ideal, since I don't have a .22 for him to try out and he also thinks muskets are really cool, lol. I guess muzzleloader is close enough.

Thanks guys.

Cool, thanks guys.

What about bringing him (or anyone without a hunting license for that matter) out to the field when I hunt?

No gun handling, just observing.

I don't think that is illegal. He's not hunting. He's taking a walk in the woods.

Cool, thanks guys.

What about bringing him (or anyone without a hunting license for that matter) out to the field when I hunt?

No gun handling, just observing.

No problemo. Been doing it with my son the last couple years so he can learn good field skills.

It's 10 for hunting.

Started my son when he was four with his own .22 boys rifle. Bench rested on a bean bag, bolt-action single shot, no mag, open sights. Club range--outside! Members GAVE US ammo to use way back in-the-day, lol! That was close to 20 years ago!

When you start them is up to WHERE you choose to do it. Be SAFE and have FUN!

Dave