You don't say anything - are you talking about if they ASK you if you have a firearm? Then you would tell the truth.

But DON'T volunteer information. If the firearm is properly secured and you are on your way too or from the range / firearm store / etc. you have no duty to advise the officer.

You don't say anything - are you talking about if they ASK you if you have a firearm? Then you would tell the truth.

But DON'T volunteer information. If the firearm is properly secured and you are on your way too or from the range / firearm store / etc. you have no duty to advise the officer.

That I know I'm saying if they ask and you tell them but your going say cross country road trip and your in a state your Florida permit do t honor. What will happen?

That I know I'm saying if they ask and you tell them but your going say cross country road trip and your in a state your Florida permit do t honor. What will happen?

Gotcha - same thing - don't volunteer information. If you are going between two locations that it is legal for you to possess your firerarm (your home and the state of Florida) then you are OK. That is not a deviation.

It really depends on what you got pulled over for though - if your driving drunk it probably does not matter where you are going ;=)

That would depend on the state....some require you inform the trooper that there are firearms in the vehicle at the inception of the stop, others don't....it's up to you to check each state's individual laws in that event.

If they ask, tell them you have properly stowed firearms in the back. Federal law allows the interstate transport of firearms, the carry license has little to do with it.

In NY, there have been cases where the police have ignored the federal laws and prosecuted travelers. The only way to avoid it is to avoid NY.

If the State does not honor your out of State ccw permit than you are subject to that State's laws and those of the Federal Government applicable to firearms carried interstate. Just make sure that your locked up gun is not loaded and separate it from the ammo. I carry gun and ammo in separate locked boxes going as far as keeping my ammo and the gun in the rear. In the distant past some LEO would consider a loaded magazine as a loaded weapon. Heck, I even sometimes disassemble my gun just in case.

Just asking if you got pulled over for speeding say in Nevada and they ask and you tell them. But your non resident Florida permit is not honored there even though its locked in trunk can you have a problem? If your doing a multistate road trip with no defined destination?

That would depend on the state....some require you inform the trooper that there are firearms in the vehicle at the inception of the stop, others don't....it's up to you to check each state's individual laws in that event.

I don't believe any state requires you to inform the police if there are firearms properly stowed according to FOPA(in the trunk, unloaded, separate from ammo). Some states, like Ohio, require you to inform the police if you are carrying or have a firearm within reach but not openly visible on a seat or something.

I don't believe any state requires you to inform the police if there are firearms properly stowed according to FOPA(in the trunk, unloaded, separate from ammo). Some states, like Ohio, require you to inform the police if you are carrying or have a firearm within reach but not openly visible on a seat or something.

Perhaps I am mistaken but this subject came up before and there were at least 3 states that require you inform the trooper of a firearm in the vehicle even if stowed locked in the trunk. I'll check again.

No one ever has a definitive answer on what can be done in a situation I just mentioned. That's like getting pulled over in nj and when asked saying I'm just going to Pennsylvania to drive around for the day where I can carry a firearm.

When it comes to firearms, being in compliance with the law is no guarantee you won't get jammed up in a situation like this. You may prevail in the end, but it can be a long, costly process.

Even when in compliance, be extra careful not to put yourself face-to-face with LE. Obey the speed limit, make sure your vehicle is 100%, don't draw unnecessary attention to yourself, etc. I don't know about you, but I'm not looking to be a test case if I don't have to be.

I think a lot of us are forgetting what it's like to carry a gun in America.

In many states where you can't carry on your person you can carry the gun in the glove box. South Carolina, for example, doesn't recognize any nonresident permits. But when driving through SC you can put the gun in the glove box, no worries. Florida, same thing. No need to lock it in the trunk.

In Pennsylvania you can carry the gun in your car with a permit from any state, even a NJ permit will work if you somehow manage to have a permit from NJ (right next to your unicorn hunting license). Even your FL permit which Kane said was no longer good will work. Outside of your car you can carry openly as long as it's not philly.

And in some states, carrying without a license is a misdemeanor (disorderly persons offense in NJ speak) and a small fine. Here it is 7 years in prison and a "crime" (felony).

So what the heck is seperate from ammo? Does same range bag but different compartments qualify? In the threads I've checked and reading the actual laws, the answer seems to be that they don't have to be in say two seperate bags at all! It's does seem from the above that traveling through several states requires lots of prior legal research. Dummy up sounds like a good way to go.

So what the heck is seperate from ammo? Does same range bag but different compartments qualify? In the threads I've checked and reading the actual laws, the answer seems to be that they don't have to be in say two seperate bags at all! It's does seem from the above that traveling through several states requires lots of prior legal research. Dummy up sounds like a good way to go.

No idea. Doesn't matter, because it isn't a requirement per FOPA.

...during such transportation the firearm is unloaded, and neither the firearm nor any ammunition being transported is readily accessible or is directly accessible from the passenger compartment of such transporting vehicle: Provided, That in the case of a vehicle without a compartment separate from the driver’s compartment the firearm or ammunition shall be contained in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console.

I am still amazed that people are still giving out wrong information, especially people who have been on this forum long enough. Just look up the darn code!!!

Cop: "Do you know why I pulled you over?"

Me: "No."

Cop:  "Where are you headed?"

Me: "Chuck said I have to be with him to answer questions.  Chuck is my lawyer."

Cop: "Do you have any weapons or drugs in the car?"

Me: "Lawyer."

That's it.

There are states where you are required to notify if you are carrying.  Ohio is one.  Don't know if there are states where you are required to notify of having a gun in the trunk.  Never gave that any thought.  Because, if I am not carrying, and I have a gun in the trunk, it is because I am passing through a state under FOPA.  And, under FOPA, you are NOT required to notify police that you have firearms, notwithstanding all state laws.

Rather than discuss may I suggest these two websites:

http://handgunlaw.us/

http://www.usacarry.com/

http://amgoa.org/ (just found this one from another forum)

Information needs to be accurate and up-to-date. I'm sure there are other resources, but with each state having it's own set of rules I'm wondering if to comply one would need to stop ON the state line (front tires in one state, the rear ones in the other). Of course this probably applies only to concealed carry.

There may be a firearms association in the state that you are ending up in, or going through, that might have an informational website with up-to-date information. I'm hoping to go shooting with my brother-in-law in Ohio. So I have found a website there, http://www.buckeyefirearms.org/, that I'm researching.

In these forums I've read about members calling the AG office of the states they are planning to be in. Probably nothing to hang your hat on unless you note when and who you received the information from. Then at least you could supena them at your trial to show the jury you tried.

But, I need to add a disclaimer that I'm still waiting for the NIC check for my first handgun. I haven't gotten a lot of sleep lately reading as much as I can to avoid being in the pokey for the rest of my life.