Just because you suggested two different models meant I had to chose from only those offered? I really appreciated all your feedback and took it all into consideration. I read each post thoroughly and had multiple tabs open to cross check all info. Also, just because something is expensive doesn't mean it's better. I'm sure you all can think of example.

Thanks again.

:facepalm:

I'm not going to tell you that you ONLY have those eotech and aimpoint to choose from but I personally would've went with another company.

Primary Arms and Vortex come to mind.  

exactly... 

when you say "what good red dot should I get... thinking about eotech"

the answer is Aimpoint due to the vast majority of experiences out there...

if you had instead said.. funds are low.. what is a decent cheap optic..

primary arms would have been what I typed immediately...

you ask about eotechs... and are advised to look at aimpoints.. and instead buy some zombie optic...

with all due respect.. that's pretty bizarre.. 

good luck with it.. 

Like I said good luck with it.

Keep an accurate round count and a log of any issues that pop up. Please report back your findings and experiences after you have 1000 rounds or so through it.

This. End of thread. Get off the guy's back.

Just  a little FYI....  You really cannot get a better review from people other than right here. They are people that you may and may not know. But there are very credible people with tons of experience here. People that comp shoot, LEO, folks with years of weapon experience.

Now, a word from our sponsors as they say... Consider this a heads up regarding Internet product reviews. Not just about sights, but any online product review. You have, IMHO, 3 different types of reviews.

1) Honest consumer reviews. These are good reviews that people take the time to post every time they buy a product. These are the good, honest people. The people we really need to get out their experiences.
2) Bad honest consumer reviews. These are bad reviews that people take the time to post ONLY when they buy a product and are pist. These are the people that never have anything nice to say and only post when they feel they have been slighted by a product. This is whether or not it is due to their ignorance, stupidity or the product is actually a POS. I've seen so many reviews that were good about a particular product, then you get some numb nut post a no star review because he could not understand it or read the fooking manual. Quite often, they are unfounded and they should not be allowed to type anything on a 'puter because they are total dunces. When a product is bad, you should see more bad than good reviews. Not the other way around.
3) Then there are the total ass-hats that are promoting the product that will leave raving reviews just to boost sales.

So, with all that being said. Who would you believe? You've been here long enough to know the goods and bads of people here.

Again, your initial post was vague. Folks tried to help and you didn't really respond till you bought the SM.... If you were going to depend on other online reviews, why bother asking here? You should have given a price range and searched elsewhere in the forum here for the plethora of info about RDS... And again, this pertains to everyone here that does this same type of thing. Nobody has to help anyone here. But they do and quite extensively at times. HE is a walking encyclopedia of tactics and weapon experience. Some may find him brash at times, but he's always on point. Vlad as well. The guy is super delved into his hobby. I'd listen to the people here before I'd go elsewhere.

Finally, when a product has a cult following, rest assured, it's good! :keeporder:

Just because you suggested two different models meant I had to chose from only those offered? I really appreciated all your feedback and took it all into consideration. I read each post thoroughly and had multiple tabs open to cross check all info. Also, just because something is expensive doesn't mean it's better. I'm sure you all can think of example.

Thanks again.

**** This is a response to Nickjc, not the OP.

Not trying to get too involved but......HOW many of the AR type rifles here ACTUALLY get the hard use.......????????

I know mine doesn't.....but then again I am not a low speed high drag type...........errrr..... :)

The funny thing is these are BATTLE rifles...... I see/here more pissing and moaning about keeping my rifle pretty........than you can imagine........

I wish I had a video of a guy....nOOb (we all were once)....going over his new ARvariant with a magnifying glass after I did the compliance work......

I asked him whats up....... ".................I am looking for mars and scratches....." .HUH WTF? REALLY?

I grabbed mine that was partly broken down for some work and took a screw driver and nicked the receiver...in another place by other scratches.... I showed it to him while I was doing it.....as I said its a BATTLE RIFLE..........I thought he was gonna throw the F**** up....he ran out...sadly haven't seen him back...

So I think the choice of optic is, well, his choice.........

Like you, I too am low speed/high drag but my rifle gets fairly hard real world use use. Not only do I train often with a fairly stout firing schedule , it also is a rifle that gets used operationally. No, I am not trudging through mountain passes in Afghanistan or doing DA jobs in third world shitholes across the world, but I do rely on my rifle regularly and it has to be up to the task at a moments notice.

That said, the deciding factors for a rifle you are relying on to protect your home is not a matter of hard use, it is a matter of immediate use and reliability.

A weapon used for HD doesn't need to have been used hard, but it needs to be reliable and ready to go to work at the drop of a hat, every time. The rifle and all its accessories need to be reliable if used in that role.

If you are going to use an optic for a weapon in this role, then having a quality optic is important, as is battery life, and ability to retain zero. The ability to pick up the rifle and be ready to go immediately is crucial in a HD scenario.

For example, my Aimpoints never get turned off - I pick up my rifle and I am ready (Quick side note - I took a Colt Armorer's course a few weeks ago, the instructor is also an Aimpoint rep. He stated that it takes more juice to turn an Aimpoint on from the off position, than is used by leaving it on one of the NV setting for months. I thought that was interesting...)

Other optics need to be turned on, some even need to have batteries installed before powering up. I find that unacceptable when something goes bump in the night, you are woken up from a dead sleep, disoriented, and are now behind the curve, or in my case when you need to grab the rifle from the rack in the car and be ready to go.

As far as those who want to keep their rifles pristine, I am with you (my favorite example if this so far is putting the fuzzy side of velcro on the brass deflector so it doesn't get marked up :facepalm:) I just don't get it... My rifle/optic/light are beat up, but they run with boring regularity. They are maintained properly and they go bang every time even though they are scratched and dinged up.

But you are right, it's their rifle - their choice. That however does not mean you don't give the best advice you can, based on your own personal frame of reference, when someone asks for help. It also doesn't mean that you don't hope that someone's decision to purposefully purchase inferior gear for a potentially lifesaving job doesn't come back to bite them. You can lead a horse to water.....

(Quick side note - I took a Colt Armorer's course a few weeks ago, the instructor is also an Aimpoint rep. He stated that it takes more juice to turn an Aimpoint on from the off position, than is used by leaving it on one of the NV setting for months. I thought that was interesting...)

:rolleyes:  tumblr_m92j2kJGiR1r97z8t.gif

LE Pro Staff Daryl Bolke in this thread - http://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?6413-Aimpoint-Recommendations:

“Turning the sight off”-DO NOT TURN THEM off on a working gun. Because of the way LED’s work, the batteries will last longer if the sight is simply left on. It takes more power to turn the sight on and off than to simply leave them on. For those really concerned about maximizing battery life, just turn the sight to its lowest setting but not off.

Daryl's partner Wayne Dobbs (they own Hardwired tactical shooting/HiTS) was the instructor.

It has nothing to do with Aimpont vs EoTurd (other than Aimponts use an LED end the Eos use a laser) It has to do with the way LEDs use power. My research since hearing this (I was skeptical as well) leads me to believe that this is a true statement.

Besides, I already use Aimpoint products and am a proponent of them. There is no need for him to "sell" me on his product.