Mach16lt

Starting NICS check before Pistol Permit

Being that its taking weeks to get NICS back...

If the purpose of the pistol permit is for taking possesion... Can I start my purchase of a pistol now, have it submitted to NICS, and then pick it up once my permit comes in?

I'm currently at 5 weeks waiting for my P2P in Dunellen... Have no clue when it will come through. Last permit I got when I received my FID was already 2 months old by the time they actually gave it to me (nice of them, right?).

Sorry if this has been covered... I tried searching, but couldn't weed through all the posts that mentioned P2Ps and NICS... There are just so many.

I believe this has been covered. You must have the P2P before the FFL will start the NICS. 

No you dont......

BUT......

If you dont have a P2P within 30days of the NICS check....... the NICS will need to be submitted again, and incur the NICS charge again.....

You can start a long gun NICS before your FFL receives the gun(s).  The question I have is once the long gun NICS check is approved, can I transfer multiple long guns on different days during the 30 day window that the NICS is good for.

You can add a long gun without issue, but a handgun needs a blessing from NICS as they monitor OGAM.  You can also add all the additional long guns that you want, but once you walk out the door, you will need to do another NICS for any additional.  The NICS check is for the person, not the gun.

No you dont......

BUT......

If you dont have a P2P within 30days of the NICS check....... the NICS will need to be submitted again, and incur the NICS charge again.....

I think 67gtonut is correct.  When I bought a pistol last week and asked whether I should go to the car to get the P2P, the store clerk said don't bother because it'll be two weeks for the NICS check.  So, I didn't need the P2P right then.  But, you're taking a risk that you won't have the P2P once NICS has gone through.

You can add a long gun without issue, but a handgun needs a blessing from NICS as they monitor OGAM.  You can also add all the additional long guns that you want, but once you walk out the door, you will need to do another NICS for any additional.  The NICS check is for the person, not the gun.

So if I have a long gun NICS approval can I transfer a rifle in the first week, a shotgun in the second week, and another rifle in the third week all under the same NICS which is good for 30 days?

So if I have a long gun NICS approval can I transfer a rifle in the first week, a shotgun in the second week, and another rifle in the third week all under the same NICS which is good for 30 days?

I have 8 handguns bought and paid for im just waiting for a multiple handgun exemption to come back so i can pick them up.... And the P2Ps of course ... Gotta have those hot dam P2Ps....