WVisHome

Looking for a good OC/OWB holster for a baby Glock

Title says it....need an OWB holster for my new Gen 4 G27. (I'm assuming I'm using the right lingo here, OWB = outer waist band?)

Don't know anything this crap....any suggestions? Not going to be doing any competitions or anything, just looking for something that's secure while doing things like riding atv's and whatnot.

Not "every day".... but for example, I'll be going home to WV this weekend, and I'll be outside doing crap, on and off 4 wheelers, walking through the woods and whatnot.

Looking for something comfortable and I don't want to worry about it falling out.

I'm thinking I'll need something with a strap, but I really don't know.

DLF....how does that Evolution hold?

Also....any appreciable difference between the Tagua and the Safariland?

I think I like the "2 position" ability of the Safariland.

Any issue with the butt getting snagged on stuff?

Not for me, but other than around the cabin in VA, I don't spend a lot of time in the woods.

Since we're packing up for VA at the moment, I took a couple of pics for you.  That's my G27/4 with a 9 round mag.  And as you can see from the label, it will fit the G27, even though it doesn't say that on their web site.

post-5690-0-11524300-1369414260_thumb.jpg

post-5690-0-83556400-1369414261_thumb.jpg

Two adjustable hooks? I didn't use those two hooks in the bag...is that what you're talking about?

It's that one giant claw at the bottom that gets me...it keeps catching in the top seam of my jeans. I've considered filing it down, or even off. It holds pretty tight under my belt anyway.

You want the holster to be difficult to remove... If you ever open carry the weapon you want it to stay attached to you... That grip helps do that...

For riding ATVs I would go with a Galco Cop 3 Slot.

For OC full time I would go with a Safariland Level III. It's pretty much the only holster that somebody can't grab from if they don't know how it works. And it's not always easy if you do know how it works.

Oops, an edit, I see you already got a Serpa. Get leg insurance ;) just kidding.

Don't think the obvious "give me the gun" button will provide much added retention.

You want the holster to be difficult to remove... If you ever open carry the weapon you want it to stay attached to you... That grip helps do that...

I can understand that...but I thought the whole idea of a paddle holster is so that it's easier than dealing with a belt holster. This damn thing is much more difficult to get off than simply removing my belt. Maybe I just need to practice with it....but I'm inclined to just put the belt clip back on it.

Oops, an edit, I see you already got a Serpa. Get leg insurance ;) just kidding.

Don't think the obvious "give me the gun" button will provide much added retention.

Lol...I'm aware of the ND's with these holsters. Luckily, I've had great trigger discipline drilled into my head over the years. My finger stays straight until I'm on target. I also practiced a lot with the gun unloaded at first to make sure.

For now...it served my purpose. Back home, I don't have the risk of a grabber...it was more for just general outdoor usage.

I still haven't decided to open carry here yet or not. Everyone you ask says it's not a good idea.....that it's not "worth the hassle"....but I look at it as an opportunity for education.  Like "Hey, look! OMG a gun!   Wait....he's just a normal guy. He's not a crazy nut."

Lol...I'm aware of the ND's with these holsters. Luckily, I've had great trigger discipline drilled into my head over the years. My finger stays straight until I'm on target. I also practiced a lot with the gun unloaded at first to make sure.

For now...it served my purpose. Back home, I don't have the risk of a grabber...it was more for just general outdoor usage.

I still haven't decided to open carry here yet or not. Everyone you ask says it's not a good idea.....that it's not "worth the hassle"....but I look at it as an opportunity for education.  Like "Hey, look! OMG a gun!   Wait....he's just a normal guy. He's not a crazy nut."

nothing wrong with open carry providing you feel adequately prepared to stop some psychopath that may run up behind you and try to yank your gun away from you.. 

This is one reason I haven't yet...lived in NJ too long and have been lulled into a state of Condition White, lol.

That, and I don't really go anywhere I feel the "need" to carry either. I would carry to/from work because I work next to Chester, PA....but the plant doesn't allow firearms on the property.

This is one reason I haven't yet...lived in NJ too long and have been lulled into a state of Condition White, lol.

That, and I don't really go anywhere I feel the "need" to carry either. I would carry to/from work because I work next to Chester, PA....but the plant doesn't allow firearms on the property.

Understandable. However most people that have encountered an active shooter didn't think they needed one in that area either.

The presence of a gun on your hip (concealed or otherwise) and the severity of the local gun laws shouldn't be the deciding factor of your personal security level or what condition you are in. Half the battle of personal safety is recognizing a sketchy situation or recognizing a problem and avoiding it before it becomes an emergency - Condition Yellow: for a longer life.

You can't schedule an emergency or plan to be involved in a gunfight. ;) Most folks that need a gun didn't think they would, until they did. "I thought this was a safe town", "I never thought this would happen here", or "I didn't think I would need to defend myself here" is often heard after a violent encounter.

As to open carry, people that I know that live in areas where OC is legal call it "Shoot Me First" carry or "Get Your Gun Here" carry. Although, in the woods like you are planning, it makes sense to OC.

I agree with Mipafox, my first choice would be for a Safariland ALS/SLS as well... Come to think of it, my second and third choices would be Safariland too. Not so much for the shoot yourself in the leg reason (which is a valid concern with the design) but because I have seen SERPAs lock up when they got dirt, snow, rocks, mud, etc... in the release mechanism and the gun had to be cut out of the rig with tin snips.

Good Luck!